Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catching up on lost time (Racing again)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So looking into the 1/8 E buggy thing a bit more... are they as fast as the nitro buggys? I used to love the speed and pwoer of my nitro and that's part of what drew me towards them at the end of my racing.

What' up with the low KV on most 1/8 set ups, and the high KV on most 1/10 set ups? Is it because of the bigger can in the 1/8?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

More power and then some!! Electric power is "right now", hence a lot of tuning down of the speedo. It really is a lot of power and can be a bit dangerous in the wrong hands.
Top end? What do you want? Guys are getting 100mph out of these things (special setups). The real challenge is control of the power.

I personally enjoy nitro, but I just don't have the time to properly dedicate to it. Electric takes all that away. Charge and drive. It's that simple. There is so much power you don't need to wory about heat (with the right setup). Run times are 10 min easy and 15 is not a problem.

If u liked nitro then you will love the Ebuggys
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Prime320
So looking into the 1/8 E buggy thing a bit more... are they as fast as the nitro buggys? I used to love the speed and pwoer of my nitro and that's part of what drew me towards them at the end of my racing.

What' up with the low KV on most 1/8 set ups, and the high KV on most 1/10 set ups? Is it because of the bigger can in the 1/8?
They are actually faster! But in my experience they are much harder to drive because the power is there instantaneous, instead of nitro where they have to rev up to the top speed. So in my experience it takes a calm trigger finger to tame an electric 1/8th scale. If your not it is very hard to control. Either that or go down to a lower kv motor or go to a 3S pack to calm it down even more. I just switched to 4WD SCT and have never looked back!

The low KV on 1/8th scale is because you can run 4S packs in 1/8th scale and 1/10th scale is limited to 2S so you need a higher KV. Hope that helped explain it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BDK74
More power and then some!! Electric power is "right now", hence a lot of tuning down of the speedo. It really is a lot of power and can be a bit dangerous in the wrong hands.
Top end? What do you want? Guys are getting 100mph out of these things (special setups). The real challenge is control of the power.

I personally enjoy nitro, but I just don't have the time to properly dedicate to it. Electric takes all that away. Charge and drive. It's that simple. There is so much power you don't need to wory about heat (with the right setup). Run times are 10 min easy and 15 is not a problem.

If u liked nitro then you will love the Ebuggys
+1
Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thecman26
They are actually faster! But in my experience they are much harder to drive because the power is there instantaneous, instead of nitro where they have to rev up to the top speed. So in my experience it takes a calm trigger finger to tame an electric 1/8th scale. If your not it is very hard to control. Either that or go down to a lower kv motor or go to a 3S pack to calm it down even more. I just switched to 4WD SCT and have never looked back!

The low KV on 1/8th scale is because you can run 4S packs in 1/8th scale and 1/10th scale is limited to 2S so you need a higher KV. Hope that helped explain it.
That's right, twice the voltage. I forgot about that one!!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is there any 1/8 E car that sticks out more than the others? I like the saddle pack idea to try to keep the weight balanced.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

In my opinion the balancing of these cars is not a big factor. They are already reasonably balanced with the typical layout and at 7-8lbs, there is a plenty of weight transfer and tons of traction.

Everyone will have an opinion on a car. Here is mine based on what I have raced (Ebuggy)

RC8be: Heavy and somewhat truck like. Used rollers are super cheap
RC8.2e. More nimble than the b but still heavy and drives like that
Mbx6e. Lighter and more nimble.
Mbx6e US Light and nimble, Really drives where you put it. Love it!!!

The Durango has the saddle arrangement like you mentioned. The one guy I know who drives it loves it.

I forgot to mention that I drive on high bite indoor clay predominantly.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Caster racing, Ofna, Team Durango, and Serpent have been the ones I am looking at tonight. I think I would shy away from the Ofna since I have had bad luck with them in the past. Caster is new, real small, and probably really hard to find parts for. Serpent... they have always made amazing products when I was racing on road. I mean I was in love with thier stuff. Amazing quality and well though out, and thier new E buggy looks the same. I am not sure how the parts support is for them right now. Team Durango... They are a completely new name to me, but they are real popular these days. It looks extremely well thought out. I love the quick change diffs, saddle pack layout, and general quality I have been reading about. It seems as if parts support has been an issue for them, but I guess it is getting better.

This leaves it looking like it will be between those two. Of course it all depends on how my local tracks are too. I will be there tomorrow checking out some race day action. Maybe I will snap a few photo's. If 1/8 buggy is popular this way, I think it is where I will go. I was avoiding it because of cost haha.

Now that I am on this page... What are the advantages to the Durango, and what are the advantages of the Serpent? Are there any potential advantages with the Caster car? They really talk a lot of hype, but is the car just that?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tekno EB-48. Done and done. Newest, most well thought out electric 1/8 scale. Most people that are converting a nitro car use their V4 conversions. Tekno has the electric game handled. Most of the other manufactures get results with their cars because of who is driving. The Serpent and Durango are close, but I don't like the esc mounted up high. Those cars with shorty packs and the esc mounted on the chassis would be better. The EB-48 is the car.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Tekno EB-48. Done and done. Newest, most well thought out electric 1/8 scale. Most people that are converting a nitro car use their V4 conversions. Tekno has the electric game handled. Most of the other manufactures get results with their cars because of who is driving. The Serpent and Durango are close, but I don't like the esc mounted up high. Those cars with shorty packs and the esc mounted on the chassis would be better. The EB-48 is the car.
ESC mounting aside, what makes the Tekno better?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Prime320
ESC mounting aside, what makes the Tekno better?
There is a great post on the Tekno Blog about single pack vs. dual pack layouts. Also the following is a post from the owner of Tekno with further info about the two configurations. Another really nice thing about Tekno is the support. How many companies have the owner/head designer on here answering questions multiple times a day? And no I do not have any affiliation with Tekno.

Originally Posted by teknorc
Thanks for the comments. At the end of our article we mentioned about the motor and battery and how far they are away from center will affect the final balance. Honestly, the Serpent buggy is the best dual pack layout buggy because the ESC is far out on the right to balance out the motor better.

But others that put the ESC on the center diff or above the batteries really suffer (hence the article).

One thing I would note on the scale readings on the Serpent however is the difference (balance) between individual wheels.

Yes, when you add both the left tires vs. the right tires you come up with a good balance. And also when you add both the front tires vs. the rear tires. But the readings between diagonal pairs varies quite a bit. This will result in inconsistency. So, here's another critical measurement to look at.
---------------
Serpent 811Be:
Right Rear = 833 (43.4%)
Left Rear = 1087 (56.6%)
Difference = 254g (>9oz)

Right Front = 1025 (55.3%
Left Front = 827 (44.7%)
Difference = 198g (>7oz)

Diagonal
Right Rear + Left Front = 1660g (~44%)
Left Rear + Right Front = 2112g (~56%)
Difference = 452g (>16oz, more than one pound different)

Total weight: 3772g (8.298lb)

----------------
Tekno RC EB48:

Right Rear = 860 (49.7%)
Left Rear = 870 (50.3%)
Difference = 10g (.36oz)

Right Front = 820 (51.2%)
Left Front = 780 (48.8%)
Difference = 40g (1.43oz)

Diagonal
Right Rear + Left Front = 1640g (49.2%)
Left Rear + Right Front = 1690g (50.8%)
Difference = 50g (1.79oz)

Total weight: 3330g (7.326lb)

---------------

Given the above numbers based on the two (non-USDA certified ) scale readings for the two cars, you can see that the EB48 is well balanced left/right, front/back and also on the diagonal. The Serpent, while well balanced left/right and front/back has a very heavy left-rear and right-front to the tune of over a 1lb difference when compared with the other diagonal pair of wheel measurements. That's a lot of weight that is not in balance.

The other notable measurement is overall weight. The Serpent is almost 1lb heavier than the EB48. I realize some of the equipment is different, but we've weighed a couple other Serpents around here and all of them were about 1lb heavier with similar equipment.

We sincerely appreciate your post and comments as it really brought another aspect of balance to light. We're definitely not hating on any of the other cars or companies out there. We're simply trying to show (what we think is) an even better way of designing a 1/8th electric buggy. We hope you'll agree and share this info with other Serpent and dual pack owners.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
There is a great post on the Tekno Blog about single pack vs. dual pack layouts. Also the following is a post from the owner of Tekno with further info about the two configurations. Another really nice thing about Tekno is the support. How many companies have the owner/head designer on here answering questions multiple times a day? And no I do not have any affiliation with Tekno.
Great points, and very very interesting. The problem with a company like that is parts. That is going to be a huge concern of mine come race day. My local shops support Durango. They also have tons of Losi stuff in stock too. Sucks that decisions get swayed a ton by stuff like that, but sometimes you have to cut corners for stuff that is more logical. They seem like an amazing company with an amazing product, but I am just not sure if it is logical in my area.