Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mugen mbx6 eco vs the serpent 811e > Mugen mbx6 eco vs the serpent 811e

Mugen mbx6 eco vs the serpent 811e

Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Mugen mbx6 eco vs the serpent 811e

Trying to decide which one to get. Has anyone driven both? This will be my first 1/8 so I have been looking at them all but. By expirence with the ones out there which is the best as handling goes??
Thank you,
Blake M
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have the Mugen ECO and it is known to be one of the better handling buggies. I love this buggy and to me is the best I have ever driven. Fast, handles excellent and flies predictable. But, keep in mind setup and driving style are a huge part of it. One of the members "nta01" is the only one I know that has owned both buggies and could possibly give you a side by side comparison. Check into parts availibilty in your area also. I mail ordered extra parts for my buggy to keep on hand because of the lack parts near me. But I have yet to change a broken part other than the wheel bearings started to not be smooth after a while so I changed them out. The Mugen will take a beating and keep asking for more
Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go for the Mugen Eco.
The only buggy that would be better is the Kyosho Mp9e but thats also a higher price tag.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

well serpent is a much better buggy i have own both i got to say serpent hand down only thing mugen will do is break arms dont get me wrong they are good buggys just serpent much better
Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RavensNightFury View Post
well serpent is a much better buggy i have own both i got to say serpent hand down only thing mugen will do is break arms dont get me wrong they are good buggys just serpent much better
Funny thing is, you type exactly like Mickie and even own the same RC's as him... weird that...
Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've got an 811be and am considering switching to the eco or a tekno'd mbx6. The 811be can be a bit tail happy which could be due to the long narrow chassis...
Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silvalis View Post
I've got an 811be and am considering switching to the eco or a tekno'd mbx6. The 811be can be a bit tail happy which could be due to the long narrow chassis...
This!!! Mugen is great all around buggy. Very durable and when setup well is very competitive
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silvalis View Post
The 811be can be a bit tail happy which could be due to the long narrow chassis...
It is more likely due to the rearward weight bias (batteries back).
Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JOJOHAMBONE View Post
Trying to decide which one to get. Has anyone driven both? This will be my first 1/8 so I have been looking at them all but. By expirence with the ones out there which is the best as handling goes??
Thank you,
Blake M
I've owned both of them. They were pretty similar in handling, but the Serpent seemed just a little more planted and easier to drive. That is, once you get the rear traction issues solved. I ran them on a big outdoor track with loamy surface and big jumps. If you run in "rough" track conditions, you will need to do some extra tuning, as both seem to have trouble in that area.

The Mugen is a high quality buggy, but the Serpent is EXTREME quality. Best components I have ever seen on a car. The problem is, Serpent parts are also EXTREME in cost and with no parts support in my area. That's why I sold mine. The Mugen is easier to work on and easier to tune. My vote would be to go with the Mugen.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Get the Mugen.

I prefer 4s brick packs, not saddle pack layouts.

Mugens look excellent on the tracks in my area. I just wish they used 16mm shocks instead of 15mm. I've got 16mm setups memorized.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Mugens look excellent on the tracks in my area. I just wish they used 16mm shocks instead of 15mm. I've got 16mm setups memorized.
I don't think that would make any difference in how easy/hard the car was to set up. Travel, leverage and so many other factors come into play. I tried AE silver springs on my Mugen (this is the rate that most AE setups run). There was not enough thread on the shocks to bring them to an acceptable ride height. Very different. Same w/Losi- also 15mm shocks, completely different setup types.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

thanks I ended up getting the serpent and I'm very happy with it thanks for all the input.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JOJOHAMBONE View Post
thanks I ended up getting the serpent and I'm very happy with it thanks for all the input.
Good choice. I myself owned both. The mugen eco is hard to beat. Quality is excellent and when setup correctly is a dream to drive, which brings me to my next point. If guys don't spend enough time on setup to dial out issues they have then they will always find fault and disappointment in any kit. A loose rear end can be addressed on any car with competent setup. Some guys overpower the car with motors they don't need, and then you have most with no throttle control and driving skill so they blame the car.

First, the Serpent is a purpose built e-buggy and not a manufactures conversion of the nitro counterpart. You need not concern yourself with parts because you won't be needing them. Wear is also the best in the business, even better than that of Xray. And material quality is top shelf also. This leaves room for you to focus on setup and driving and not worn or broken parts. Congrats on the Serpent !!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnieblaze View Post
Good choice. I myself owned both. The mugen eco is hard to beat. Quality is excellent and when setup correctly is a dream to drive, which brings me to my next point. If guys don't spend enough time on setup to dial out issues they have then they will always find fault and disappointment in any kit. A loose rear end can be addressed on any car with competent setup. Some guys overpower the car with motors they don't need, and then you have most with no throttle control and driving skill so they blame the car.

First, the Serpent is a purpose built e-buggy and not a manufactures conversion of the nitro counterpart. You need not concern yourself with parts because you won't be needing them. Wear is also the best in the business, even better than that of Xray. And material quality is top shelf also. This leaves room for you to focus on setup and driving and not worn or broken parts. Congrats on the Serpent !!!!
+1. Yeah, tuning is a necessity for these buggies. Too many different conditions, tracks and driving styles. A stock setup can only assume so much.

+2. Serpent was the best quality of any car I have ever owned.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

+3 once a solid car has a good setup you don't need to change anymore. I see no reason for buying a new buggy unless it's worn out. Improve the buggy first, then see. The only thing you have to care of if you buy a buggy is the reliability and the parts availability/ cost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service