Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Traxxas 1/10th Rally...New Race class?? >

New Traxxas 1/10th Rally...New Race class??

New Traxxas 1/10th Rally...New Race class??

Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

It's a shame they have called it a 1/10th - it is no where near the size of the existing 1/10th rally RC cars. Sure to be a bit confusing.

I can't see them doing anything at a track other than running alongside the Short Course cars. It's a shame they haven't gone for a proper scale shell with it as well - I suspect the loss of the "Ken Block" brand to HPI has influenced that, I doubt you could sell a Sebastien Loeb Citroen DS3 in the USA.

Having the SC-sized wheels does address the main problem with the Tamiya rally cars - the TC sized wheels won't handle the off-road features of most people's gardens.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Tower has them listed for $439- "order pending". With their history of over pricing things before release, then coming down, a $399- price tag would be nice. That will bring it in line with the Kyosho, and heaps cheaper than the HPI.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

It's a little bigger than the HPI but close enough to race each other. The Thunder Tiger ER4 G3, Kyosho DRX VE can also race with them. The main difference is the wheelbase and width which are close enough, real rally cars are not all the same dimensions so this should work

This class can takeoff it people really want it, with Traxxas in the game now it might just work...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
It's a shame they have called it a 1/10th - it is no where near the size of the existing 1/10th rally RC cars. Sure to be a bit confusing.
Ya, if you do the dimensions back to 1:1, it would be a car 9.75 feet wide and 18 feet long!! It would also have 22" rims. This would put it somewhere between 1/8 and 1/5 scale.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If this ends up having the same wheelbase and track width as a Slash 4x4, then it will be nearly identical to the Kyosho DRX. The HPI WR8 is much smaller, as it isn't much larger than a standard 1/10 scale touring car.

Ofna Hyper 10SC next to Kyosho DRX

In the video below, he shows the size of the WR8 next to a 190mm rally body and a 1/10 short course body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CnQLE1mWYsU

Personally I think this would make another fun spec class. I just hope Traxxas makes some licensed bodies as the Kyosho bodies are hella expensive.

-melon
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
Tower has them listed for $439- "order pending". With their history of over pricing things before release, then coming down, a $399- price tag would be nice. That will bring it in line with the Kyosho, and heaps cheaper than the HPI.
I saw that too. Just checked Stormer Hobbies and they list them for $399.95 so I'm guessing that will probably be the going price everywhere once it's out.

I really dig that Traxxas came out with a LCG chassis for this thing.. wondering if it's a direct bolt in for a Slash 4x4. I'm thinking many are hoping so.

As for them not giving the vehicle body a real identity like a Focus or Fiesta - maybe this has something to do with licensing. With Traxxas not sure of how well it'll be received, maybe going this route either saved them $$ or allowed to get it to market quicker. I definitely see them making other bodies for it going forward.

The Slash was generic at first but now has Raptor and RAM bodies... I'm guessing the 1/16 scale cars started out the same way - they still have the plain "rally" body for it also.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here is a size comparison...the 'pink' car is a 1/16th Traxxas Rally, which has been described as a 1/12th scale hatchback.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbenton
I think it looks very interesting, but as a racing class it will not catch on unless another manufacturer or two steps in and offers something in the same class.

:edit:
Now this makes three times that Traxxas has pulled the trigger on new classes I can think of...

Short Course (that worked out well, every track runs that to death)

Dragster (jury is out on that being a racing class, not just for the lack of other options for cars, but the fact that it needs a "new track" to run, not going to do well on a VTA carpet...)
You sort of answered your own question. SCT was popular before a 2nd brand emerged. Legions of 1/8th off road racers came in racing monster trucks made by Traxxas.

An issue I see with these is that they're not likely to run well on existing off road tracks and R/C racers aren't likely to go and make a track specifically for this. It could be pretty cool. All you'd need to do a cool track is have a parking lot next to any other usable surface (gravel, short grass, dirt) so you could have a 2-surface track. Think Supermoto on 4 wheels.

Originally Posted by MOmo
Why is it that it takes Traxxas to suddenly RE-Legitimize a class?
Far and away the most accessible brand for new R/Cers. They're tough and parts are cheap and readily available. Shops love selling them.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Happy Meal
Here is a size comparison...the 'pink' car is a 1/16th Traxxas Rally, which has been described as a 1/12th scale hatchback.
I really do not like the look of this car. It looks like a toy (well yes all RC cars are toys but you know what I mean) compared to the other vehicles out there, especially the likes of the Kyosho.

It just looks so gumby......
Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

there is a local driver who had his rally car out the other day during practice hitting the big triple and everything else...absolutely no control in the air but awesome to watch it's an hpi but it looks like it's smaller than 1/8th scale
Old 10-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Tech Adept

One can only hope that there will be other bodies for it, because that is one fugly looking body!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

I can't wait for these to become available and you be able to buy a roller on eBay! Add slash bumpers, body mounts and a body and you have a short course that's going to be as good as the other big boys plus the durability traxxas is known for!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sm_bailey77
I can't wait for these to become available and you be able to buy a roller on eBay! Add slash bumpers, body mounts and a body and you have a short course that's going to be as good as the other big boys plus the durability traxxas is known for!
Here's a thought - buy a Slash, then you'll have a short course truck.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Seriously, do we need ANOTHER class? So many good classes have lived and died, and the ones left are so diluted. Can't we be ok with what we have?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Sith, I want a short course truck from traxxas that finally has a low center of gravity like the rest of the companies sale. The new rally car has the chassis to make it happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.