Wiki Posts
Search

SC truck body opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default SC truck body opinion?

I know the nature of short course is that the body will take a beating, and in some crowds it is more brutal than with others. But my questions is what body seems to last longer out there, that is most likely to just pop back into shape. I now that hacking vents will weaken it, and that is a factor, but I would really like to hear what people have the best luck with out there.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Good question - I want to hear about this as well . Just purchased 2 new TLR 22SCT BODIES custom painted (race only) and would like to strengthen them from the start. Have seen the back where it goes over the rear bumper reduce and think that would help the longevity of the back corners cracking.

Also use a reputable painter, if painter lightly scores body while masking - can cause the body to crack and breaks along that score line after awhile, it happened to my bodies.

I believe Losi sells body pin plastic braces that u can glue over hole to strengthen
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick@Jet
Good question - I want to hear about this as well . Just purchased 2 new TLR 22SCT BODIES custom painted (race only) and would like to strengthen them from the start. Have seen the back where it goes over the rear bumper reduce and think that would help the longevity of the back corners cracking.

Also use a reputable painter, if painter lightly scores body while masking - can cause the body to crack and breaks along that score line after awhile, it happened to my bodies.

I believe Losi sells body pin plastic braces that u can glue over hole to strengthen
Body washers go a very long way to keep the pins from ripping a hole through the body, some body post though do not have enough space for a body and a washer though... but that is the posts fault not the body. I would think you could drill a higher hole 90 degrees from the stock hole on these in some cases, but that will get the pin close to the top and leaves the post itself more likely to fail.

Also the where there are angles molded into the body, those points tend to take on the job of flexing over and over and that tends to be a point to crack and rip, so I would assume a simplified shape with fewer angles and shapes to it would last longer...

You can glue screen or drywall tape in the weak points up under the body, but that will add weight faster than it adds strenght and any chance to touch up paint in that area is a lost option.

I just want a simple durable body choice..
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Well Thats just the problem. For a company to even begin to make a Durable body to some people, It would have to be so thick...I mean SC at almost any track is a full contact class so how well do you thing any body will hold up?? Look at Nascar, their bodies are beat up. The best way to keep your body nice is to keep it rubber side down and off the pipes, If you feel like your getting hacked around the track, think about moving up classes. I know it sucks when people spend so much on Paint but whos fault is that?!?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Bodies are and should be treated as a regular wear item in SC. I watch people pack their SC bodies full of several ounces or more worth of shoe-goo and fiber tape as they're cutting them out new and then watch them try to figure out why their truck rolls over twice as much as everyone else's all the time.

That being said, of the bodies I've had on my SCTE and I usually vent them almost fully, the Jconcepts 0222 HiFlow shocked me by lasting over six months of weekly racing, the first Proline Flotek did about 2/3rd's of that. The Losi brand bodies I've had will have their life measured in weeks instead of months with the new Losi HiFlow being one of the worst I've had.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have seen about the same results as Mark has in terms of longevity of the brands. JCs lexan just seems to hold up just a little better than Prolines. The Losi sc bodies have always seemed to crack up a pretty fast. I am usually painting a new proline or JC body a month after I paint a Losi body for quite a few customers.

The Associated bodies are decent. I am running the 09 Championship body on my truck now and the only place I have had problems with it is the bottom of the doors where it gets thin.

I have also tried the parma and dynamite bodies without much luck. They cracked up fairly quickly.

I have done a couple of the FTW bodies and they seem to be doing decent so far.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check the thickness of the lexan, some are thicker than others even within the same manufacturer. JC has some that are 1 mm thicker than the majority of theirs.

I use shoegoo and drywall tape in high stress areas, don't mind the weight if I don't have to replace the body every couple months. I get about 6 months out of my JC hiflow and then it's getting ugly. I could repair and keep it running but I don't mind replacing twice a year.