Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orion Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run exclusively Orion motors at this point andhaven't had any problems with any of my Orions. As someone mention make sure you screws are of correct size (including length). Most issues that I have seen in regards to striped mounting holes have been due to using the in correct screw.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This seems to be going on with my Orion Vortex VST Pro 8.5T. It seems to strip the screw or bolt not the CAN, but only on the side with the solder tabs. I can mount this motor in my DEX210 with lunsford titanium screws just fine but in my DEX410 I don't have any titanium motor screws yet and the steel one always strips with minimal and I really mean minimal effort. LIke butter!!

Anyone??
Old 10-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

99.9% probability it was user error.
Of the hundreds of motors that have gone through these hands the only ones that had a "screw" issue were a few in the early years.... cranked em a little too tight, screwed em in a little cross threaded, the dreaded mm/sae switch....
No big deal, do whatever you need to do for this motor and consider it a lesson learned.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 13Maschine
This seems to be going on with my Orion Vortex VST Pro 8.5T. It seems to strip the screw or bolt not the CAN, but only on the side with the solder tabs. I can mount this motor in my DEX210 with lunsford titanium screws just fine but in my DEX410 I don't have any titanium motor screws yet and the steel one always strips with minimal and I really mean minimal effort. LIke butter!!

Anyone??
steel or titanium, there is no functional difference. These are little 3mm screws we are talking about, not a half inch bolt holding the axle under your favorite giant crewcab truck. Learning how to properly torque a screw is just that, something that is learned.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asc6000
steel or titanium, there is no functional difference. These are little 3mm screws we are talking about, not a half inch bolt holding the axle under your favorite giant crewcab truck. Learning how to properly torque a screw is just that, something that is learned.
I've removed my comment as I didn't feel it was necessary…sorry.

I appreciate what your saying in that it's important to learn how not to over torque things. But this really isn't user error. I've been building these cars for more than 25 years and I'm confident in my ability to measure torque on a screw or bolt. I've gone back and tested this same motor with the same holes in my 210 rather than my 410 and also using the M3 Lunsford titanium screws that I normally use in the 210 I'm able to get a nice level of torque and mount the motor just fine. For some reason the standard steel M3 cap head screws I'm using in the 410 seem to strip but only on the top side. The bottom side (side without the solder tabs) tightens down quite nicely. I'm going to get a new set of steel M3 cap head screws and try again, perhaps the batch I have is wrong or something.

Last edited by 13Maschine; 11-01-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: sorry
Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 13Maschine
I've removed my comment as I didn't feel it was necessary…sorry.

I appreciate what your saying in that it's important to learn how not to over torque things. But this really isn't user error. I've been building these cars for more than 25 years and I'm confident in my ability to measure torque on a screw or bolt. I've gone back and tested this same motor with the same holes in my 210 rather than my 410 and also using the M3 Lunsford titanium screws that I normally use in the 210 I'm able to get a nice level of torque and mount the motor just fine. For some reason the standard steel M3 cap head screws I'm using in the 410 seem to strip but only on the top side. The bottom side (side without the solder tabs) tightens down quite nicely. I'm going to get a new set of steel M3 cap head screws and try again, perhaps the batch I have is wrong or something.
Turns out I was wrong…I really did strip the screws….sorry! very weird though.