Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated SC10B Race Buggy >

Team Associated SC10B Race Buggy

Team Associated SC10B Race Buggy

Old 12-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thinking of converting a couple of the kids sc10s the this sc10b. How durable is the body and roll cage? Kids old lids are shot. Need replaced anyways. They are getting better but still would like to know if this thing will last awhile.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Tech Initiate

I just picked up a SC10B today and put a Velenion system in it and am trying to put some RPM a-arms on but the hinge pins seem to long, are they to long or is something just not going together right? Also what would be a better servo as the stock one feels very weak, also preferably waterproof?

Last edited by AmericanMan007; 12-14-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:04 AM
a1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AmericanMan007 View Post
I just picked up a SC10B today and put a Velenion system in it and am trying to put some RPM a-arms on but the hinge pins seem to short, are they to short or is something just not going together right? Also what would be a better servo as the stock one feels very weak, also preferably waterproof?
I put rpm arms on my sc10 and had to purchase longer pins to work. Check the website they will tell you what pins are needed
Old 12-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by a1 View Post
I put rpm arms on my sc10 and had to purchase longer pins to work. Check the website they will tell you what pins are needed
RPM's website or Team Associateds?
Old 12-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i got a ton of tower gift cards for christmas and ordered one of these. i been eyeballing this truck for a while and i finally got one. should be here by mid next week i think. i am so excited.

i chose the one with the lipo and charger. i have a nice lipo battery, but only one. for the difference in the price, i think it was worth it
Old 12-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default sc10b

Is this faster than a traxxas rustlers vxl and is it a better rc car
Old 12-28-2015, 06:44 PM
a1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
yeah, I am thinking of converting my kids sc10 to an scb. If the cost is low enough. I think it will be a better for her to race and bash with. Just curious about the handling. I am hoping for more of a buggy driving feel than the top heavy truck feel.
I put the j82 body from proline on my sc10 ,10 dollars. I stays put with velcro tabs. So it was literally a 10 dollar, 15dollar with paint switch. It handles very nicely, a lot better then the truck body. My advice would be not to follow factory cut lines at back of buggy and cut to fit. If you cut on factory line you will end up about 1/4 short.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jg30 View Post
Is this faster than a traxxas rustlers vxl and is it a better rc car
I doubt it's faster and as far as better, depends on what you want the vehicle for. The rustler is great for backyard, parking lot school field fun where the SC10B is more race oriented. Not saying you can't race the rustler or bash the SC10B but if you are interested in track time maybe the associated is the better option.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either one. I think you should get one of each!

P.S. The SC10B looks way cooler.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anybody have a solid spring recommendation for 12MM big bore springs on indoor high-bite clay conditions?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to forum, back into RC

I wanted to first say thank you to all of the regulars who keep us all educated and to the new guys like me who ask the random questions that pull all of that valuable information out of the grey beards on the forum. Thanks again.

I had a Grasshopper and an original RC10 30 years ago, long before I had any money to blow on "toys". I spent a lot of time learning how to solder and how to repair existing parts and salvage parts from other kids' parts cars to keep mine running. Things have changed, both on the technology front and now my ability to treat myself to some of the nicer upgrades.

I'm just getting back into the hobby, with an intent to just start bashing around a little, and then maybe someday doing a little racing at our semi-local track. To that end I bought a SC10B RTR and immediately started learning everything I could about making it more drivable and durable, and I'm a sucker for shiny anodized parts (throw-back to the anodized RC10 parts from my original car!). I've bought all of the Factory Team or RPM suspension parts, lipos, and the Solar D770 steering servo. I'm about 50% of the way through an almost total tear down now before I start re-assembly with the new parts. Could I have done it cheaper by buying a buggy or truck factory team kit? Sure, but I had myself convinced I would just drive it stock RTR at first. Well, that lasted about a week before I got the little kid upgrade bug and started ordering parts! Oh, well...

So, all of that leads to a couple of basic questions. First, if I'm not trying to become a pro racer (never will be), is the stock motor/ESC combo good for a while, or am I really missing out on upgrading to something better? Next, I bought 32.5 wt oil for the rears and 35 wt oil for the fronts, and the medium springs kit for the front and rear for the 12mm shock kits. For general bashing, will that weight oil and the 3.6 front/2.3 rear springs be a decent combo? I have zero experience with the oil weight/springs set up. Again, not trying to go out and win any races right out of the gate, but I don't want to throw money away chasing a setup that will be fun to bash around with...
Old 03-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

I got this truck for xmas, and have yet to get all the way through a pack without breaking something.

i seem to be bending the front turnbuckles http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2919 almost on every run. they are so soft i can literally bent them by hand and break them if i bend them hard enough.

today i crashed, going at maybe about 25% (if that fast even) speed and broke almost every piece in the front end. the entire steering assembly, front bulkhead, shock cap and shockingly the turnbuckle again.

i know this is not a top of the line kit, but i am shocked at how weak the plastics and turnbuckles are on this kit.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:43 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

It was generally intended to be raced. What are you hitting? The front arms are weak but if you are breaking that much stuff you might be asking the car to do something that it wasn't really intended to do.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

i wasnt racing it i was driving it at a park, but i hit a small pole. Maybe i hit it at the worst possible angle. I wasnt going too fast, but the plastics feel pretty brittle compared to other cars i have
Old 03-13-2016, 01:53 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

It will break if you hit a pole. The plastics are stiffer than say Traxxas or RPM plastics so you can feel the car more and it handles better on a track. If you are going to bash it, get the RPM arms all the way around.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rekim View Post
i wasnt racing it i was driving it at a park, but i hit a small pole. Maybe i hit it at the worst possible angle. I wasnt going too fast, but the plastics feel pretty brittle compared to other cars i have
Weak point on the sc10's is where the pan screws on to the front bulkhead. That's fixed with a B4/T4 chassis brace from DE Racing. As for the rest of the car, when we first got 'em it seemed like shock shafts were the next weak point. If you find you're breaking arms, you can replace both front and rear with RPM versions. They're tough and they'll stretch before they break.

As I've gotten better with the car, I'm more comfortable going with the stock arms and such.

/would love to see this style of SC take over, but I think the boat already sailed (and we missed it.) :-(