Savox vs. Futaba vs. ASC Servos >

Savox vs. Futaba vs. ASC Servos

Savox vs. Futaba vs. ASC Servos

Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Savox vs. Futaba vs. ASC Servos

Hey,

Sorry if a thread has already been started on buggy servos.

So I am looking to get a new servo for my 2WD buggy.

I have done some research and found what servos people run, my question is just what do you guys think will be best.

So for Savox it seems that the 1257TG is best for 2WD buggy, although I have heard of Savox servos being glitchy and having a lot of backlash or play in them. Is this true?

For ASC it seems the DS1015 is the most common servo. I like the simple looks of it and it matches the brand of buggy I am driving (B4, from ASC). Although it is slower than the Savox. What happens if you drive with a crazy fast servo like the Savox? It seems many Pro drivers use the DS1015 also.

Finally its the Futaba. I love my Futaba radio so I may consider a Futaba servo. I know that Maifield recently switched to Futaba? What servo is he running in his 2WD buggy? How are Futaba servos in general?

Right now I am just running a 645MG that I had laying around and it is VERY slow. It is hard to drive my buggy fast with such a slow servo.

Thanks for reading my huge post.

-Venom
Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Glitching really depends on the brand of radio gear, and somewhat the ESC. I run My Futaba Fasst radio with Savox 1251's and Tekin RS's in all my buggies, no glitch. (<- period)
Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

dont write of hi-tech mate there a good thing as well

and not to bad on price i have never had to change a servo yet and i have been using the same servo's for over 2 to 3 years now in all my cars
Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Futaba servos are GREAT. I use them in majority of my cars. They don't have those "crazy" specs you're looking for, but they are reliable, durable... and well they're Futaba. 'Nuff said
Old 09-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

just started using a radopost servo and they are crazy fast quiet and small. Great little servo. I picked up the blue one.
But I also ran futaba servos for ever. One great servo was and still is the s9350 Great servo for the b4.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vw addict
Glitching really depends on the brand of radio gear, and somewhat the ESC. I run My Futaba Fasst radio with Savox 1251's and Tekin RS's in all my buggies, no glitch. (<- period)
Sounds good I also run FASST so I should be glitch free!

Originally Posted by DBL15
dont write of hi-tech mate there a good thing as well

and not to bad on price i have never had to change a servo yet and i have been using the same servo's for over 2 to 3 years now in all my cars
I love Hi-Tech it is just their better servos are pretty expensive.

Originally Posted by fung_kyle
Futaba servos are GREAT. I use them in majority of my cars. They don't have those "crazy" specs you're looking for, but they are reliable, durable... and well they're Futaba. 'Nuff said
What would be the top of the line Futaba servo for 2WD Buggys?

Originally Posted by tonyd
just started using a radopost servo and they are crazy fast quiet and small. Great little servo. I picked up the blue one.
But I also ran futaba servos for ever. One great servo was and still is the s9350 Great servo for the b4.
Thats kinda expensive for a servo that doesent have the same specs as the other two...

Thanks a lot guys!

Two quick questions:

1. Is the .07 seconds of the Savox too fast to control?
I mean will it be too quick or twitchy or is quicker always better?

2. In your opinion what would you prefer based on specs, not price:
DS1015 or 1257TG?
Currently I am in favor of the Savox because of the speed, but like in the first question, Is crazy speed needed?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Venom1836
What would be the top of the line Futaba servo for 2WD Buggys?
IMO the best 2wd buggy spec'd Futaba servo
Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Maybe not all Futaba FASST receivers are the same when dealing with Savox. Every Savox or Spektrum servo I've used has caused glitching with a 3PMX/3PK/R603FF/Tekin RS setup.

The DS1015 is good, and so is the DS1313. I've been running a DS1313 in my SCX-60CF (and previously in my SC10) with good success.

If the servo is too fast for you at speed, just turn down the EXP on your radio to slow it down initially. A fast servo may be twitchy until you get used to it, then you'll never go back.

EDIT: I've been using a Futaba S9405 in buggy applications with good results, too. It seems that no matter what servo I put in a buggy I always go back to that one as it just feels right. Not too fast, not too slow, just right.

Last edited by bdyche; 09-27-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bdyche
Maybe not all Futaba FASST receivers are the same when dealing with Savox. Every Savox or Spektrum servo I've used has caused glitching with a 3PMX/3PK/R603FF/Tekin RS setup.

The DS1015 is good, and so is the DS1313. I've been running a DS1313 in my SCX-60CF (and previously in my SC10) with good success.

If the servo is too fast for you at speed, just turn down the EXP on your radio to slow it down initially. A fast servo may be twitchy until you get used to it, then you'll never go back.

EDIT: I've been using a Futaba S9405 in buggy applications with good results, too. It seems that no matter what servo I put in a buggy I always go back to that one as it just feels right. Not too fast, not too slow, just right.
It seems like I have decided on the Savox 1257TG!

What can I do to remove glitching with my setup:

ESC & Motor: LRP SXX TC V2 with Reedy Sonic 7.5
Battery: Reedy Wolfpack 25C 5000MAH
TX and RX: Futaba 3PM-X with R603FF

Thanks so much!
-Venom
Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A glitch buster (capacitor that plugs into your receiver) will likely solve any issues. I've just switched servos to eliminate having extra stuff on my car. The Savox and Spektrum servos perform well, but the high current draw at times turns me off from them. Not sure why exactly they draw so much more power than other servos, but a glitch buster will fix it.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Eric Tomczyk
DO NOT USE THIS IN A 2WD BUGGY. Helicopter servos are meant to be in heli's. I know you can use it, but it will shorten the lifespan of the servo as they have a different deadband. Deadband is the amount of play the servo will allow you to have before it buzzes.. I think.

Also I think the BLS451 or BLS452 is a great choice... If you like low profile BLS651.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I've used Heli servos in cars for years, so have many pros like Kinwald. They have good specs. Never had one burn out or whatever. Who cares the OP is gonna go with a chinese cookie cutter
Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

im pretty sure maifield is running the futaba s9352hv servos. I recently switched to these paired with my 4pk and it is a beautiful setup, extremely fast, power to spare, and most of all not amp hungry like those damn savox servos. Add futaba reliability and they are worth every penny. I liked my first s9352hv so much i sold every servo i have and replaced them with 6 of these!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

altough my next choice would be the ds1015 they are solid, low amp draw, plenty fast, good power, and wont let ya down.

i have nothing good to say about savox so ill leave that at that.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I use this one in a DEX210
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._0_07_58g.html

Pretty good servo, centres great, more than enough torque and plenty fast.
Tight in the gears, even after nearly a year of running it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.