Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The AE FActory Team B44.2 Thread >

The AE FActory Team B44.2 Thread

The AE FActory Team B44.2 Thread

Reply

Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 AM
  #766  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (44)
 
rigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,604
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Finally ran my new 44.2 build. What a great car! Standard kit setup drives really nice. Car jumps great. Corners great. Plenty of steering. I preferred the battery spacers to push the battery back; seemed like it calmed down the rear end a bit. I'll try adding about 50g weight between the cells next. Nice job AE!
rigor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 AM
  #767  
Suspended
iTrader: (89)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,073
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by travymoto11 View Post
Hope this helps a little.

The main point is that the slipper clutch needs to slip before the diff does.

If you have the diffs out of the car and on the bench......take two allen drivers and insert them into the outdrives(to hold the outdrives still). Try to turn the diff gear.....it should be very difficult to turn. If it's not...then diff is deffenately too loose....tighten 1/8th - 1/4qtr and re-check.

Does that make any sense?
Yeah... That makes perfect sense. I did exact that. I stuck an Allen on each side of the diff and attempted to turn the gear. I went 1/4 turn beyond the point I could no longer turn the gear because I've read and seen AE diffs typically need that little extra.

What confused me mainly was the comment about slipping during break in. I couldn't see how that could happen if I took care of the diffs as such during the build. The only thing I'm expecting to adjust is the slipper if needed.... However I expect AE specifically knew where that should be set (2mm) as a result of testing.
Sarinexia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 AM
  #768  
Suspended
iTrader: (123)
 
dominick i.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: west new york, nj
Posts: 2,663
Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)
Default

gonna start the b44.2 build tonight
dominick i. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 AM
  #769  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (17)
 
Maxxingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 786
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

After almost 2 weeks I finally started my build, lol. I've also noticed that sanding the rings is a MUST! Wow I can't believe how out of flat they actually are. Another thing I found, and this could me my ocd side, that the diff cases do not sit flat once put together. If you hold them up to a light you'll see some nice gaps between the 2 cases. I ended up sanding both sides of the cases to flatten them out and now I see almost no light through them. The nub side I used a small flat file with sand paper over top to clean it up. Now on to the next parts.

If anyone is interested I ended up putting some TD310023 axle boots on the front and rear outdrives to keep them clean. I had some lying around so figured I'd give them a try, fits like a glove. If you do get them, put some diff or shock oil inside the boot 1st, they'll slide on real easy then.

Last edited by Maxxingout; 11-20-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Maxxingout is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 AM
  #770  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (22)
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Okay maxx don't make us come to your house and muscle a link of where to buy those sweet little booties. Never seen them before. I would like to try them on all fours as well.
UN4RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 AM
  #771  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (22)
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Found them using the part # thanks
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...310023&x=8&y=7
UN4RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM
  #772  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (17)
 
Maxxingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 786
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

LOL, yeah I was in a hurry this morning so I was only able to right down the part #.

Since I had a bit more time, here are the ones you should use on the drive shafts.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ive-Boot-Set-2
Maxxingout is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 AM
  #773  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (22)
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I have been looking up parts but all I can find are pre-order. Any one had any luck yet? I'm tempted to just buy another kit.
UN4RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 AM
  #774  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (22)
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MattP View Post
To anyone that has switched from the b44.1 to the b44.2 what driving differences have you noticed? Does the .2 just have better rough track handling as it's major attribute?
It jumps better and handles the bumps better. Cornering feels more like a 2x to me so far but after adding 45g between the batteries it felt better, more planted. I only have about an hour on it and with minimal time to play with oils etc.
UN4RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 AM
  #775  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (17)
 
Maxxingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 786
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I have been looking up parts but all I can find are pre-order. Any one had any luck yet? I'm tempted to just buy another kit.
Which parts are you looking to buy? Aside from some of the carbon, I'm able to find almost anything for the 44.2.
Maxxingout is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM
  #776  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (22)
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Maxxingout View Post
Which parts are you looking to buy? Aside from some of the carbon, I'm able to find almost anything for the 44.2.
Shock towers and top plates are really all I want for now. But AE and A-main and our tracks shop are all pre-order.
UN4RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
  #777  
Suspended
iTrader: (89)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,073
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Maxxingout View Post
After almost 2 weeks I finally started my build, lol. I've also noticed that sanding the rings is a MUST! Wow I can't believe how out of flat they actually are. Another thing I found, and this could me my ocd side, that the diff cases do not sit flat once put together. If you hold them up to a light you'll see some nice gaps between the 2 cases. I ended up sanding both sides of the cases to flatten them out and now I see almost no light through them. The nub side I used a small flat file with sand paper over top to clean it up. Now on to the next parts.

If anyone is interested I ended up putting some TD310023 axle boots on the front and rear outdrives to keep them clean. I had some lying around so figured I'd give them a try, fits like a glove. If you do get them, put some diff or shock oil inside the boot 1st, they'll slide on real easy then.
Thanks for that Max. I went ahead and ordered those boots lickity split! Put a rush on them since I'm racing Sunday this week with mine.. (cheap shipping on a item so small).

I also ordered the weight for the rear. Why? The more conversation I see the more I see people claim the car is "more planted" with it. I don't understand something...... why wouldn't the car already feel planted with the saddles in the rear, and why wouldn't the front end be more of the problem on weight being light than the rear due to the saddles being in the rear?

Is a bit confusing to me.
Sarinexia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM
  #778  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (35)
 
t0p_sh0tta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,863
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

As with the .1, the car feels more planted with weight out back. I felt that it really made the car slower during switch backs (S-turns), and made it more difficult to correct a slide. Ultimately, the lighter car is more nimble, but you be the judge.
t0p_sh0tta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM
  #779  
Suspended
iTrader: (440)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 10,180
Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
It jumps better and handles the bumps better. Cornering feels more like a 2x to me so far but after adding 45g between the batteries it felt better, more planted. I only have about an hour on it and with minimal time to play with oils etc.
Ok thanks.
MattP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
  #780  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Arigato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 'Vegas Baby!
Posts: 631
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MattP View Post
To anyone that has switched from the b44.1 to the b44.2 what driving differences have you noticed? Does the .2 just have better rough track handling as it's major attribute?
The .2 is a little easier to drive. The .1 is great, but the .2 is calmer and more stable feeling while still able to carve up the turns.
Arigato is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service