Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
rc8.2e rs rtr vs sc8.2e rtr?? >

rc8.2e rs rtr vs sc8.2e rtr??

rc8.2e rs rtr vs sc8.2e rtr??

Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default rc8.2e rs rtr vs sc8.2e rtr??

Hi guys, im a basher mostly, usually with my flux hp, mt4 g3, and summit, but i want to get into racing, or at least messing around at the track at first on off days. My question is what platform would be better for a beginner on the track? im sure the handling charactaristics are a little differant, and i realize there will be no real race class for the sc8e, but im curious about the durability, and handling of each, and your opinions of what platform would be better for a noob on the track. or should i just go for the scte lol, sorry im kinda stuck on those three right now, your opinions and pointers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The RC8.2E would be a much better choice if you want to get into racing in the future. That's a very fast class to get started in, though. The SC8.2E would be good for bashing, but I have never seen a single one raced before. The class just never took off. I also saw you mentioned the SCTE. For $500, you can have one RTR and hit the track with that and it's practically bulletproof out of the box. If you are new, and new to racing I would recommend this as it is a great way to get started without being too much to handle at first. You could later graduate to the 8th scale buggy.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I own both the Scte and Rc8.2eFT. I would go with either of those. It is just of matter of which class you want to run. Not sure about the durability of the RTR rc8.2e, but I do know my rc8.2eft is more durable then my losi.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My brother just bought an rc8.2e rtr and it's awesome! Can't really comment on the durability of it as he just got it this past weekend but I will say it's super fast! If you choose that, which I suggest over the sc8, just make sure you go through every screw and tighten it. My brother had a wheel fall off and lost a screw after he brought it to the track this past weekend.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by ZombieBBQ View Post
My question is what platform would be better for a beginner on the track?
Not an 8th scale. Seriously, get an SCTE if you really want to race in the future. It will be able to take anything you throw at it while still being reasonably easy for a beginner. Take an 8th scale buggy out for your first time on a track and you will be breaking things left and right. If you want something to bash and run on a track, but not really race anybody, the SC8 would be an ok choice, but still a lot of power and weight moving at 40mph for a beginner.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you all for your responses! Im gonna mull it over for a few days, think about it a bit, all 3 would ne great kits. Ill post back when I decide on something.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Initiate

The scte has been on my mind for quite a while, looks awesome, how are the rtr electronics? Is it fast enough to hit all the big jumps at the track on 2s? Im sure the servo might need replaced after a while, but dont know much about the brushless system.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

Sure get the RC8.2e The scte rtr motor might not be as fast as typical race motors out there for 2s
Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Tech Initiate

I wish I could just buy all three lol. I just heard that the scte is heavy, I guess I could run it stock to get the feel for it then upgrade later if needed. is it a castle setup or something else? I hear different rumors on that.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

Well its seems to be a castle 3000kv + mmp system...
Old 09-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ZombieBBQ View Post
I wish I could just buy all three lol. I just heard that the scte is heavy, I guess I could run it stock to get the feel for it then upgrade later if needed. is it a castle setup or something else? I hear different rumors on that.
Yes, it is a re-labeled Castle system. The stock electronics are actually decent for a RTR.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe the scte is the way to go. I actually just ordered one from my lhs last friday, but I got the roller not the rtr.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would say get the RTR SCTE, and run that a bit. Not enough power? (on 2s, the motor really comes alive on 3s) Sell the electronics and buy a Tenshock or HobbyWing Combo.