Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Durango vs Losi RTR's >

Durango vs Losi RTR's

Durango vs Losi RTR's

Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Durango vs Losi RTR's

Wondering mostly about the Quality of electronics. I know getting the kit and buying electronics will provide"better" results, I've been in the Hobby a long time and for as busy as my life is right now. I just want to pull something from the Box and race it. Durango buggy is about 20$ less than 22RTR, the Truck is about 30$ and the 4x4SC is about 50$-60$. Will probably buy all 3 looking to get my youngest into racing with me. Also if anyone has working knowledge of how the cars themselves are holding up, would love that hear about it. Electronics are my biggest questions. For 100$ in difference in "total savings" which would you buy?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

im a durango fan all around but when it comes to getting someone into racing ive gotta tell you to go with losi. The durability is key here, the electronics in the ten scte is good stuff and the truck itself is tough as nails. Maintenance is key on the losi tho. I owned one for a full season and you really have to watch your cvd's and outdrives and you are pretty much set.

Durango is really a smooth experienced drivers vehicle. its less forgiving and has a ton of steering. The losi is a little more lazy which is good for a beginner. Really theres not much comparison when you throw in the beginner factor. The losi fits the description perfect there.

same can be said about the 2wd buggies in a sense. i had a losi 22 and now i own the dex210 and the losi is a tad mnore durable but they are both great buggies.

Just my opinion but i strongly reccomend the losi 4x4 sc for a beginner
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Both Durango and Losi make great products but the one knock I have against Losi if you plan on getting the 22's and the SCTE is you end up having to have double the tools and spare nuts/bolts on hand since the 22s use metric while the SCTE uses standard tooling.

Thanks but no thanks for that headache.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

you can buy a ton of spare screws from fastenal for $20 and judging by the signature he already runs losi so im sure hes got the tools.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I wouldn't recommend anyone starting with a 4wd anything. It will cause them to develop bad habits and not learn the proper throttle control that 2wd will teach

Also the DEX210 RTR kits are spot on!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude View Post
I wouldn't recommend anyone starting with a 4wd anything. It will cause them to develop bad habits and not learn the proper throttle control that 2wd will teach

Also the DEX210 RTR kits are spot on!
+1

There are several guys at my local track that have been running 4x4 sc since the class started without really improving I don't know if you can clearly say which one is better but the dex210 and 22 are both good kits.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

I got the losi scte for the same reason you suggested, just no time to build. My experience with it has been great. I have raced it the whole season and not broken or replaced a single part. There is little wear on the out drives and the chassis is still in decent shape however I will be replacing it next season. I have Heard mixed things about the Durango 4x4. Most question the durability but say it handles very good.

As far as deciding whether to pick a 4wd or 2wd and the 4wd making u lazy, I will say that I owned 8th scale buggy and truggy nitro and ebuggy along with the 2wd and I would pick the 4x4. It's just more fun to drive to me. Another factor would be what's the most popular class at ur track. Having alot of people to run with makes it more enjoyable.

Last edited by robzzz; 09-17-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone have specific knowledge of the RTR electronics in either of these? Quality, Durability.....
Old 09-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 291 (100%+)

The Durango's speed passion ESC and motor are pretty standard affair, I believe its what they sell as there spec combos to tracks and such. Find a thread about them will provide the info you seek.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by ASATRUGGYFAN View Post
Anyone have specific knowledge of the RTR electronics in either of these? Quality, Durability.....
The Losi electronics are a Castle system, Mamba Max Pro ESC and a 2800kv motor. The MMP is probably the most widely used speed control in SCT at the moment, and the 2800 is no slouch...on 3s. On 2s it is a bit slow and you need to gear it really high to get any competitiveness out of it on 2s. I'm not familiar with the Durango system at all though.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Tech Prophet

I dont know about the reliable of the Speed Passion system that the Durango has its not super known . But the Castle really is knowned better with a better warranty and from expreience with the Mamba Monster at least its pretty reliable ive had 0 issues with it . So i would think the Castle system on the SCTE RTR is just as good it just has a low kv motor . The only downside with the Castle is if you use a servo with pretty high current you need a cap or a extenal BEC.