Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Castle "Punch Control" settings,which one and why? >

Castle "Punch Control" settings,which one and why?

Castle "Punch Control" settings,which one and why?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default Castle "Punch Control" settings,which one and why?

Trying to understand how this Punch Control is supposed to work.....could you give me an example of some scenario where I would want to use,say 30% and one where I would use 100% Punch Control? Thanks,Huck50
Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Talking

If you are running high power motor on a slippery track more punch control.will make it easy to drive the higher the number the less punchey it will be
Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sexyrexy View Post
If you are running high power motor on a slippery track more punch control.will make it easy to drive the higher the number the less punchey it will be
Thanks,so this Punch Control is like a turbo boost,or a sudden surge of power,as the name "Punch"suggests?Thanks,Huck50
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No its a power limiter.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
Thanks,so this Punch Control is like a turbo boost,or a sudden surge of power,as the name "Punch"suggests?Thanks,Huck50
No, it controls the "punch" you would experience if you mashed the throttle. Without any it would go from 0-100% instantly, and on a loose track, would make the car very unstable and you would probably get nothing but wheelspin. With punch control enabled, the ESC limits this "punch" and it is a lot less severe allowing you to control the car better. The higher the punch control the higher the amount of limiting.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How would using a lot of punch affect the motor and esc temp wise
Old 09-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by itchy b View Post
How would using a lot of punch affect the motor and esc temp wise
IMO itll give you higher temps in both esc and motor.. but it isnt good for low traction use...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

punch control can also be done at the trigger... when you set it on the ESC it just limits power to keep wheel spin down so you can stick the car to a slippery track.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

Which is better...to control a "soft start" from a dead stop with the Expo on my radio or using the Punch Control 100%.I don't race,just bombing around on grass.Thanks,Huck50
Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trying to understand how this Punch Control is supposed to work.....could you give me an example of some scenario where I would want to use,say 30% and one where I would use 100% Punch Control? Thanks,Huck50
From what I have come to understand, punch control limits the amount of amps available. You will still be running the same voltage, so you will still have the same top speed, you just wont get there as fast. Limiting the punch will give you more controllable low end driving. I usually set my punch control no higher than I need for the track I am racing. A slick track, I turn the punch down. Sticky track, I turn it up... I never run full punch cause even on the stickiest tracks, tires only can grab so much. Another thing to think about is how much run up do you have on the jumps... Sometimes there is that one stupid jump right after a corner that you need that punch to get up and over. In general, the less punch you run = cooler temps, and much longer run time. You also have less wear and tear and your motor, esc, and car. I know some people that limit so much it feels like a nitro car. Some run full punch and are puffing batteries left and right. I hope this answers your questions.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Which is better...to control a "soft start" from a dead stop with the Expo on my radio or using the Punch Control 100%.I don't race,just bombing around on grass.Thanks,Huck50
I didnt read this before posting... If you are just bashing, I would prolly put your punch around 75 or so to give decent acceleration without puffing batteries and really pushing your esc. As I said before, punch doesnt effect top speed, just how fast you get there.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Punch Control is more like a time delay than it really limiting the power. You really want to keep it set at 0% to have max power and then use Torque control that actually limits the power and how it is applied to the motor. Much better setup overall to use the and setup the Torque Control Feature.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Just mess with the Expo on your radio works for me on slick tracks.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by t-man View Post
From what I have come to understand, punch control limits the amount of amps available. You will still be running the same voltage, so you will still have the same top speed, you just wont get there as fast. Limiting the punch will give you more controllable low end driving. I usually set my punch control no higher than I need for the track I am racing. A slick track, I turn the punch down. Sticky track, I turn it up... I never run full punch cause even on the stickiest tracks, tires only can grab so much. Another thing to think about is how much run up do you have on the jumps... Sometimes there is that one stupid jump right after a corner that you need that punch to get up and over. In general, the less punch you run = cooler temps, and much longer run time. You also have less wear and tear and your motor, esc, and car. I know some people that limit so much it feels like a nitro car. Some run full punch and are puffing batteries left and right. I hope this answers your questions.
Thanks! So when you say "some run full punch and are puffing batteries left and right", full punch is "0% disabled default"or 100%? and what is full punch control...100% or 0% disabled"default"? A little confusing.Thanks,Huck50
Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks! So when you say "some run full punch and are puffing batteries left and right", full punch is "0% disabled default"or 100%? and what is full punch control...100% or 0% disabled"default"? A little confusing.Thanks,Huck50
0% punch control = full punch, the ESC will try to deliver all the power it can suck from the battery

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.