Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Castle "Punch Control" settings,which one and why? >

Castle "Punch Control" settings,which one and why?

Castle "Punch Control" settings,which one and why?

Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BigPar View Post
0% punch control = full punch, the ESC will try to deliver all the power it can suck from the battery
Thanks! I am running a Mamba Monster 2200kv motor combo in my new U.S.A. Race Edition Eco on 6s. No racing,just bumming around on short grass. 14/46 gearing.
Huck50

Last edited by Huck50; 09-20-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Well seeing how we have a couple of different opinons Ill add my .02

Puch control is a limiter. As said a setting of 0 = no limit.
Depending on what you are running and what motor is in it this can keep the truck under control, Ie doing back flips when you nail the throttle or the front tires ballooning too much with a center differential in this will dial it down and allow a more gradual curve while accelerating.

Soft start is an entirely different critter.
Its to limit the amount of torque coming from the motor from a dead stop, just like it says. Having trouble getting started because you chunked a monster truck motor in a 1/16 chassis and cant start without doing a wheelie or lunging...Soft start will fix this.

A little offering on the operation of a brushless motor. Think its just another DC motor right? WRONG.The major difference is that synchronous AC motors develop a sinusoidal back EMF, as compared to a rectangular, or trapezoidal, back EMF for brushless DC motors. Both have stator created rotating magnetic fields producing torque in a magnetic rotor.

Brushless motors are driven much the same way a synchronus AC motor is. There is a reason there are 3 leads, just like a 3 phase AC motor. Instead of feeeding it with AC you are feeding it with pulsed DC, hence the function of the brushless ESC. That low pitch whinig you are hearing from the motor at low speeds is the switching of the FETs in the ESC. Why dont you hear it all the way through the power band? Because it starts switching so fast its out of the audbile range. Another setting you will see on the ESC is motor timing. Set at zero it sends the pulsed DC timed with the motor rotation keeping it moving. If you advanced it, default is 10 degress although they call it 10% you are sending the pulse 10 degrees in advance of the rotor position, just like vaccum advance on a gas engine where it fires in advance to creat more power. In the brushless motor advancing results in heat so you want to keep this at 0 unless you need more power.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks! Huck50