Shock Building Tips and Tricks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shock Building Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

If your shocks don't rebound at the same rate with same amount of oil it's probably because the shock with less rebound is sticking more than the other. Make sure that the o-rings are completely saturated. And that should fix the rebound issue.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Prophet

I may of worked for you but i coat my O-Rings in green slime a equal amount it still never really gets the same rebound lol. If you want equal rebound right away full rebound or a little less is the easyest i found out less of a pain also.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 1wrecker
great tips thanks

hey tc5 man, thanks for the help, I just dont like the bladder i keep getting vapor lock and it makes them real stiff, what causes that? air in the shock?

My RC8T big bores dont have a bleeder screws but still gets oil steeping there the cap hole. I think i got air lock maybe once green slime seemed to reduce it and air bubbles also. What causes air lock is if something is not smooth inside of the shock or not pulling the shaft down all the way each time when getting the air out.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mopar
If your shocks don't rebound at the same rate with same amount of oil it's probably because the shock with less rebound is sticking more than the other. Make sure that the o-rings are completely saturated. And that should fix the rebound issue.
mabe on a newly rebuilt shock that may be true, my rebound isues i have is even when I make a fluid change even with the same weight.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JoeC
When it comes to the rebound there is no 1 perfect setting. On my SCTE I run close to 0 rebound and it works well. On my DEX408 1/8th scale buggy I run 25% rebound and have no complaints. I would ask the fast guys at your track and see what they are running.

As for the screw not tightening on the shock cap it is very easy to strip them out and so you need to go to a aluminum cap if available or just be very careful not to over tighten. If it is leaking at the hole I have seen a lot of guys use a small oring or a small washer.

Hopefully we can get some shock gurus to chime in and share some of their secrets.

Where does the small O-Ring or washer go ?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

this how i do my shocks (22 with bleeder caps, low-friction o-rings) - they come out great and super consistent:

1. clean everything!
2. generous amounts of green grease (silicone) on the rings and spacers - do not get any inside the shock body. tighten the end cap fully. some run the end cap loose to free up the rings, i didn't like it and found it unnecessary.
3. pull the shock shaft to the bottom, fill 1/2 way with oil, then push the shock shaft up to draw the oil under the piston. sucking air is ok at this point.
4. after 1 minute, pull the shaft down fully again. the piston and beneath are now totally purged of air.
5. top off the shock body and put the top cap on without the bleeder screw.
6. wait 5-10 minutes
7. i have a squeeze bottle with a needle tip loaded with shock oil. i also get my bleeder screw and driver ready to go. i top off with the needle in the bleeder, then push the shaft up fully in 1 smooth motion. while the pressure wave is still puking oil i grab the driver and put the screw in as quickly as i can.

pump it a few times and the rebound will be 3-4 mm and that losi shock matching tool (shock comparator, and not very good imho) shows equal damping every time. they hold performance for several track days. i was initially concerned with over-filling the shock body, but i haven't run into any problems yet. the bleeder + needle is way more effective than either alone, but obviously the bleeder is the most important bit - i'll never go back!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Where does the small O-Ring or washer go ?
under the head of the screw. just guessing here, but maybe teflon tape on the threads could help? maybe not if the aluminium is stripped out
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by F1Yankee
under the head of the screw. just guessing here, but maybe teflon tape on the threads could help? maybe not if the aluminium is stripped out

Oh yea i do have Teflon tape that should work so i dont need to tighten the shock cap so much by hand to stop it . Na the Alum treads are fine on it .

I do coat my shock bladder will shock oil when seating into the cap.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i dont think teflon would work on such a small screw