So i got a good deal on a XXX-SCT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So i got a good deal on a XXX-SCT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Tech Rookie

well, 200$ isnt alot for me when your used to buying stuff for racing karts. it aint nothing to buy 300-400$ worth of parts for those things. tires are 50-60$ a piece.

I've already got the truck so lets not look back now. i need to focus on beefing it up, and my driving skills.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 84 GT 5.0
For 200 you could have gotten a used kyosho scr roller and been a million times better off imo
Sure...but for $200 he got a RTR with electronics, batteries, and a charger. The deal is done. Many of of may think it wasn't the best deal but focusing on that is only going to frustrate the OP...we need more people happy with the hobby, not frustrated by it.

The XXX-SCT is a very solid, good, can be made great IMO performer. Lets help the OP take this where ever he wants to go with it.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I actually just sold my XXX-SCT last night, but ran it since the truck was released and tried just about every configuration that came along, and did quite well with it (several MNRC Series wins in 2wd Mod).

As far as durability goes, the thing with the RTR plastic is pretty tough. Only real problem area is the front skid plate, I updated mine to the STRC one (alum). Between that and using the Exotech chassis brace, you are pretty much set durability wise.

Performance wise, the Tuning Kit is a great way to go, but it is really not needed. I did just fine with stock shocks and a gear diff (with 10k-15k fluid). But I would recommend the ball diff for consistency. Its a little easier to drive (that is the secret to success in 2wd SCT, getting it easy to drive).

Stock vs the SCB chassis, I would say the buggy chassis is better on real low grip, rough tracks, but it has ALLOT of torsional flex (if you grabbed it by both ends and try to twist it like a Twizzler) which is desirable on low grip surfaces, it can actually be a problem on high grip surfaces (the chassis will twist, then "spring" back and cause the car to spin). I would recommend sticking with the stock chassis.

Front shocks run CR Buggy Rear Blue Springs with Red Pistons 32.5 Losi Oil, Rear run Orange Pistons with white springs and 27.5 oil. Front shocks all the way in on the tower, Middle hole on the arm. Rear shocks run all the way out on the tower and all the way in on the arm (inside for low grip tracks, middle for higher grip).

I ran shorty packs with 1 pad in front of the battery, and in my opinion try to keep away from having to add weight to the rear of the car. It will feel like it has more grip when accelerating strait, but that weight in the back will try to "swing" the back of the car when coming out of corners
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

The only issue I ever had with the sct and scb in stock form was the front upper turnbuckles bending and the steering ball cups coming off. The tlr kit has spring steel turnbuckles which are imo worlds better, haven't bent one since. The losi hd ball cups or rpm ball cups are a must.
The radio isn't the worst rtr radio I've seen but you'll definitely want to start looking into a good radio first off.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

i am currently running stock springs with 32.5 weight all the weight around. It was raising the front end way up when jumping but i think moving the battery more towards the front helped that.

Grasscopper, thanks for the kind words, hopefully you guys can help me figure this sport out. You guys are quick and very responsive. i have never seen a forum so active!

Last edited by Just Samples; 09-13-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Sure...but for $200 he got a RTR with electronics, batteries, and a charger. The deal is done. Many of of may think it wasn't the best deal but focusing on that is only going to frustrate the OP...we need more people happy with the hobby, not frustrated by it.

The XXX-SCT is a very solid, good, can be made great IMO performer. Lets help the OP take this where ever he wants to go with it.
...Amen ......
Old 09-13-2012, 02:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper

+1000. So many jerks around here. I mean telling the guy he got a "lemon" and a "bad deal"? Why do you want to make the guy feel bad? We should be encouraging guys like this not bringing him down. He did alright and he's got a good truck.

Just Samples, ignore some of the clowns around here. You got a good SCT that's fun and competitive.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the kind words you guys! love this forum already!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Just Samples
i am currently running stock springs with 32.5 weight all the weight around. It was raising the front end way up when jumping but i think moving the battery more towards the front helped that.

Grasscopper, thanks for the kind words, hopefully you guys can help me figure this sport out. You guys are quick and very responsive. i have never seen a forum so active!
Glad to help when and where I can. Also check out rcshortcourse.com they don't get nearly the traffic but they have separate forums for each truck so you can go to the XXX-SCT forum and see posts only on your truck.

I think many people (I know I do) run their battery with two foams in front and 3 in the rear. I'm basically running Casper's (Losi driver) race setup and find it works quite well as a starting point which can be fine tuned for your track. His and a few other team drivers can be found at this link: http://www.petitrc.com/setup/losi/Se...ripleXSCT.html
Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ct-thread.html
Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Like i said, there is 500 pages, how you do expect to find or get anything answered?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Like i said, there is 500 pages, how you do expect to find or get anything answered?
You can use the

Or just ask in there. I've read almost all the pages if I'm interested in that threads subject. The first page of ea one has most the info you need anyways and they update it.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...w-threads.html

You go to the thread for your vehicle and ask the question just like you did here. It's not required to read the whole thread before you post.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

how can you determine what weight shock oil to use?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

how can you determine what weight shock oil to use?
I would say if you are at a track, ask around. Other than that you just have to experiment a bit I guess. The weight will be based on the conditions you run in.