Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Kyosho Scorpion Ve XXL Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

Dan, you're a star! Diff has arrived and looks mint! (In the UK, that means better than good! )

It's been a tough day, so may not tackle the install tonight, I'll decide later.

Can't post my pic cos I'm too new here!

Thanks again, Dan! Much appreciated!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Glad to see it made it to you safely!
Be sure to get pics of it finished before the install and some video of the Scorpion tearing shit up!!

Now that you have 10 posts you should be able to post pics!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

It's fitted and test run! All good so far! 5S and 6S, one pack of each from storage (to save time), ran sweet as a nut.

I'll get some pics up later.

Cheers, Dan!
Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Hi guys I'm new to the forums and I have been following this thread for my recently purchased XXl. I got one of the CEN diffs from Dollar Hobbies and it should be here on Monday 2/5 so I'm looking forward to it.

I installed a Tekin RX8 gen2 and T8 2000kv system in mine and a Savox 1258 servo, It's very quick and powerful. I have the timing advance set to 10 on the RX8. I also threw some Badlands on the back, spray painted the front rims black and got the aluminum shocks

I see I need to make 10 posts before I can post a pic, so I'll try to get the post count up
I'm in Australia btw

Cheers, Gav

Last edited by gavsta72; 05-01-2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gavsta72
Hi guys I'm new to the forums and I have been following this thread for my recently purchased XXl. I got one of the CEN diffs from Dollar Hobbies and it should be here on Monday 2/5 so I'm looking forward to it.

I installed a Tekin RX8 gen2 and T8 2000kv system in mine and a Savox 1258 servo, It's very quick and powerful. I have the timing advance set to 10 on the RX8. I also threw some Badlands on the back, spray painted the front rims black and got the aluminum shocks

I see I need to make 10 posts before I can post a pic, so I'll try to get the post count up
I'm in Australia btw

Cheers, Gav
Hi,

What voltage are you planning on running? On 4S the diff will last a while, but any higher and it won't last at all. Definitely worth getting the CEN diff modified and installed from day one.

I wouldn't class the Scorpion as a hardcore basher, but it is a great drive that can survive a few tumbles, I know mine has!

RPM only make parts for popular cars that have flaws, I hope they make some bits for this. I've got T-bones fitted to mine, the front bumper definitely offers some protection to the front of the car.

I'm thinking of doing a desert fast attack vehicle theme on mine, sand coloured of course.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

I broke my ET48 today. So now it's XXL 1 & ET48 0 over the same jumps, maybe I need a Kyosho truggy. lol
Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tug
Hi,

What voltage are you planning on running? On 4S the diff will last a while, but any higher and it won't last at all. Definitely worth getting the CEN diff modified and installed from day one.

I wouldn't class the Scorpion as a hardcore basher, but it is a great drive that can survive a few tumbles, I know mine has!

RPM only make parts for popular cars that have flaws, I hope they make some bits for this. I've got T-bones fitted to mine, the front bumper definitely offers some protection to the front of the car.

I'm thinking of doing a desert fast attack vehicle theme on mine, sand coloured of course.
I'm running 4S, GenAce 5000mah 40/80C and using a 16T pinion, and with the RX8 timing at +10, I'm getting low temps, 50 celsius for motor, 45C for ESC, and the lipos, well only just warm

I might change the ESC timing to +15 and go up to a 17T pinion.

I've been looking for various hop ups, but there's nothing. I will buy the alloy shock towers soon, and probably the front steering blocks, not going to worry about the alloy wing mount though
Old 05-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

I'm running 4S, GenAce 5000mah 40/80C and using a 16T pinion, and with the RX8 timing at +10, I'm getting low temps, 50 celsius for motor, 45C for ESC, and the lipos, well only just warm

I might change the ESC timing to +15 and go up to a 17T pinion.

I've been looking for various hop ups, but there's nothing. I will buy the alloy shock towers soon, and probably the front steering blocks, not going to worry about the alloy wing mount though
Sounds like a good set-up, but I wouldn't run any more power than that unless you upgrade the diff. Those temps are fine.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Tech Addict

I did exactly what you told me not to do Tug, but because I have the new CEN diff here I thought I would up the timing to +15 and see what happens. It was doing wheelies and digging trenches in the grass for 5 minutes, then bang !! there goes the diff

The good thing is the electronics didn't get much hotter, only up by 5 celcius
Old 05-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

I did exactly what you told me not to do Tug, but because I have the new CEN diff here I thought I would up the timing to +15 and see what happens. It was doing wheelies and digging trenches in the grass for 5 minutes, then bang !! there goes the diff

The good thing is the electronics didn't get much hotter, only up by 5 celcius
Annoyingly, the cup would probably cope, it's the spider gears that explode. They're piddly little ally things that just aren't up to the job.

Do post some pics as you upgrade it.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

Here's mine as it arrived from Dan.

Assembled.

I've only had time for a couple of runs, but this diff is silky smooth!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Nice, looks like an excellent job, what diff oil do you recommend, I noticed 30k was mentioned earlier.

I'll try and shave some off it with a drill and drill bit, or even a file as my drill bits are old and blunt really (time to buy a new set) if that fails I will just take it to my local machine shop and get them to do it
Old 05-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, Dan did a great job, perfect fit first time. I'll have to source a diff and have a go myself.

I used 7k, I wanted the car to handle as well as possible, seems OK so far. When the dry weather returns, I'll shoot some more vid.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

I drive on a fairly bumpy grass paddock with badlands tyres, what weight diff oil would you suggest ?? I only have 7k and 30k, but was thinking of doing a half and half mix making it roughly 15k
Old 05-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

If you don't mind the strip down each time, try them all, but 7 or 15 would be my choice. It's all down to personal preference, I don't like cars that just do donuts, so the ability to get off the line efficiently is important to me.

Last time I drove the car with a stock diff, it was on very bumpy ground. I remember hearing the diff gears crack as the nearside rear wheel dropped into a hole (not so much a hole, but a depression in the ground) under hard acceleration. This gave that wheel the nanosecond it needed to spin up to high speed, before making contact with the bottom of the hole. That was the end of that and I knew that after three diff failures, I needed something better; Dan and his cen diff mod.

It's yet to be driven in anger, but I'm still confident that this will be the cure for a problem that should never have existed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.