Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho Scorpion Ve XXL Thread >

Kyosho Scorpion Ve XXL Thread

Like Tree9Likes

Kyosho Scorpion Ve XXL Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Attractive assembly of LED.
Being a noob in electricity, I personally put these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17189 ...who enter perfectly in the genuine pods.
Only defect, we cannot re-clip the small plastic bars.
For the rear, I have those orders it: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Strip_RED.html

I did't expect in much with these HK LED, but it's really strong. Even after big frontal impacts and 1 bulb which broke and bent, all work even after approximately 8 packs (including the twisted ^^).

In any case, your assembly would interest me well Nitro_Hawk! Do you think you can send me a plan (for worthless) by pm please?
If you need information about the differences XXL/B-XXL, don't hesitate.

And sorry for my bad English...
Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Quick videos but without sand nor dunes...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Kigoma; 08-29-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Tech Initiate

I have to do another set for a friend this weekend so I'll take photos and post the whole process with instructions. It's not complicated but can be somewhat time consuming if you are not into this kind of stuff.

Those hobbyking lights seem strong in the videos!

Chris
Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Cool, thanks!

Yes, these lights clear strong, but they don't give out heat. Thus, for the moment I didn't too much worry, they are directly connected to the receiver. I hope this one risk nothing, at the beginning I hesitated, then finally...

Later, to avoid discharging the 4S, I shall connect them has a battery made by 4 or 5 AA Eneloop.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Quick zoom on my B-XXL (I tried in fact to make a photo... ).

+ YouTube Video
Old 08-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Initiate

For information, while I think of it :
Originally Posted by Nitro_Hawk View Post
Nope, just checked and it's a 14t too on the B XXL.

I had to verify for the pinion gear, it's really a 15T on the B-XXL.
Moreover the ESC is also a little different from that picture, because "it's" in carbon.
These photos come probably from a proto...

Last edited by Kigoma; 08-30-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Sorry for the multi-post! :/
Old 09-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey, got you the pictures of the led assemblies.

To prevent LEDs burning out it is recommended to solder a resistor, in my case I used 280ohm resistors. Cut the + pin of the led short, soldered the resistor and used heat shrink to keep things tidy and prevent any short circuits.

Here is a picture of a LED with the resistor in place and heat shrinked. Besides it, how I arranged all the pins inside the pod: All the + pins join up at the middle, - pins go around joining each other, the negative from the center LED is routed through a gap between plastic. Each pod has 7 LEDS connected in parallel.

Cut the joined + pins shorter, welded the cable. Welded the - pins together with the negative cable. It is very important to keep things compact because of the lack of space inside the pods.

After doing this it's just a matter of routing the cables through the slots at the back of the pods and re assembling them.

I used 3.2v leds so hooking both pods up in parallel to the receiver would burn them out instantly since it provides little more than 6v. To overcome this you just have to wire the pods in series.
Positive wire of pod A goes to + on the 3rd channel of the RX.
Negative wire of pod A goes to Positive wire of pod B.
Negative wire of pod B goes to - on the RX.

Then assemble them as you want, here is an example on my XXL

Old 09-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Nice, thanks for the pictures Nitro_hawk!! They're more beautiful than HK mines, but they not so much light.
But it's normal, on the HK there is 12 LED by headlight!

Some videos of Scorpion XXL races :
2013 RCMagCup Final A2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPx2VcHXUY
2013 Masters Kyosho France Finale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J28cGp3JtIE
...and more here https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=scorpion+rc94
Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Bare in mind those are regular LEDs, there are high intensity ones you can use.

I've seen those videos before, that was the first I saw of the XXL ve on track and made me change my nitro to the brushless one.

Love the track layout with the different surfaces. Wish we had more tracks like that one here.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Mine is above all else a Baja truck ! And I would really like to roll little in the sand... ^^
Old 09-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Besides being a sand rail, I tend to think of mine as an oversize 1/10th mid motor 2wd buggy that can survive the jumps of the 1/8th off road tracks. Love it's dual purpose and it hasn't let me down on either front.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

action photo, This it the best 2wd buggy i have owend

got today some tires for the scorpion they are perfect fit
they are the PRO1178-11 Pro-line Badlands 3.8 tire w/Desperado 17mm 1/2'' offset MT
that is for the savage (more narrow).
Old 10-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone found a solution for the diff problems?

I had this issue 3 times already (bought mine in August). The pins start to wear down the plastic on the diff cup, then go off alignment. This upsets the clearance between the internal gears, which gets too tight and ends up breaking the gears or binding the planetary gears against the cup locking everything inside.

This is premature wear due to poor design and choice of materials, the diff is clearly too small and weak for the power and weight of the application. Truggys split the loads between 2 similarly sized diffs via a center one, this uses only one to handle everything, not to mention the extra weight and size of a 1/7th scale.

So if you have a sun or planetary gear go wrong check the cup, it's very likely that you'll need to change it or you'll blow up the new gears in no time.

I just fabricated a locked one to avoid further issues while using it hard.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Scorpion Ve XXL Thread-wp_20140928_001.jpg   Kyosho Scorpion Ve XXL Thread-wp_20140928_13_16_47_pro.jpg   Kyosho Scorpion Ve XXL Thread-wp_20140928_17_00_24_pro.jpg  
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nitro_Hawk View Post
Anyone found a solution for the diff problems?

I had this issue 3 times already (bought mine in August). The pins start to wear down the plastic on the diff cup, then go off alignment. This upsets the clearance between the internal gears, which gets too tight and ends up breaking the gears or binding the planetary gears against the cup locking everything inside.

This is premature wear due to poor design and choice of materials, the diff is clearly too small and weak for the power and weight of the application. Truggys split the loads between 2 similarly sized diffs via a center one, this uses only one to handle everything, not to mention the extra weight and size of a 1/7th scale.

So if you have a sun or planetary gear go wrong check the cup, it's very likely that you'll need to change it or you'll blow up the new gears in no time.

I just fabricated a locked one to avoid further issues while using it hard.

I don't have this car, but I'm interested in getting one maybe, if I could fit in a big motor. I read the stock motor is some non-standard 44x70mm and was wondering if I could fit in a 56x82mm or a 1717 (50x85mm) motor. Anyone happen to have tried?

Anyway, I had these Losi 8ight diff cup measurements taken for someone recently, and wondered whether those would fit. I only had the standard Losi 8ight diff cup out, but given it is a direct swap with the Heavy Duty ones, measurements should be the same.

The Heavy Duty ones (http://www.amain.com/Losi-Heavy-Duty...al-Case/p22791) have these metal inserts so the spider gear pins don't dig into the plastic cup under heavy loads. I use them in my slightly overpowered 8ight-T: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32131, and they work well. All measurements below are in mm.

Maybe you can use those.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Initiate

I have to do a tear down on mine for this weekend, I'll measure the engine mount and clearances for you.

I haven't tried messing around with the Motor/ESC yet. But so far 4s with a 15t pinion does the job, 6s would be too fast, 5s might be the sweet spot. Being 2wd traction is the limiting factor 90% of the time, only 2 wheels do the braking too so that's another problem.

Thanks for the idea on the diff, I'll measure mine, if that one doesn't fit I guess i could machine some pin bushings to get around the problem!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.