Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya Retro and Re-Release Buggies, Trucks, etc. >

Tamiya Retro and Re-Release Buggies, Trucks, etc.

Tamiya Retro and Re-Release Buggies, Trucks, etc.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My first RC car was back in '86. Bought a Black Foot used from a friends brother. It came with an RS-540SD Endurance motor (wish I still had that!) I was great once I'd saved up enough for an Airtronics XL2-p. When I finished 6th grade that year I'd made honor roll all 4 quarters and as a gift my parents let me drag them down to Jim's RC in Derry NH and I got a Tamiya RX-540XD Technipower to replace the "Techniblack" I had. That turned out to be the death knell for the Black Foot tranny After a zillion sets of Diff/spider gears I parked it and it was lost to a bunch of moves and time.

This one came almost as you see it...showed up last week.
It needed tires and electronics, so I happily obliged with a brand new RS-540 Sport Tuned Black motor as a nod to my younger days I popped in an HPI ESC and a Spektrum RX and Servo. The tires are a spare set I had for my Monster Beetle Project{s}. Body has no cracks and just needs a sunroof and rear window....maybe some black paint on that grille and some color for the driver. Need to put the rear bumper back on

It's just as fun to drive as it I remembered but I'm taking it a bit easy until I fab up some braces for the tranny to fight the side-plate flex (the cause of the nukes diffs of yesteryear).

The truck is a survivor and I'm just going to play with it gently. No big resto, just smiles.

Since it arrived I gave it some of the parts I never could when I was a kid...Monster Beetle CVA shocks, bearings and some CRP Suspension pivots and rear bumper/tranny brace. I wiped it down and just have a BLAST driving it.

From last week before the CVA's etc...

Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by tozovr
My first RC car was back in '86. Bought a Black Foot used from a friends brother. It came with an RS-540SD Endurance motor (wish I still had that!) I was great once I'd saved up enough for an Airtronics XL2-p. When I finished 6th grade that year I'd made honor roll all 4 quarters and as a gift my parents let me drag them down to Jim's RC in Derry NH and I got a Tamiya RX-540XD Technipower to replace the "Techniblack" I had. That turned out to be the death knell for the Black Foot tranny After a zillion sets of Diff/spider gears I parked it and it was lost to a bunch of moves and time.

This one came almost as you see it...showed up last week.
It needed tires and electronics, so I happily obliged with a brand new RS-540 Sport Tuned Black motor as a nod to my younger days I popped in an HPI ESC and a Spektrum RX and Servo. The tires are a spare set I had for my Monster Beetle Project{s}. Body has no cracks and just needs a sunroof and rear window....maybe some black paint on that grille and some color for the driver. Need to put the rear bumper back on

It's just as fun to drive as it I remembered but I'm taking it a bit easy until I fab up some braces for the tranny to fight the side-plate flex (the cause of the nukes diffs of yesteryear).

The truck is a survivor and I'm just going to play with it gently. No big resto, just smiles.

Since it arrived I gave it some of the parts I never could when I was a kid...Monster Beetle CVA shocks, bearings and some CRP Suspension pivots and rear bumper/tranny brace. I wiped it down and just have a BLAST driving it.

From last week before the CVA's etc...

Dude, that's awesome. And that is so retro...
Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anybody else have something cool to share?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Egress

I'll have a re-release Egress if they make it. Can't see why not?

They made Vajra, which has mostly Egress suspension parts; they just released Hi-Cap dampers for the Avante, so all they need to do is remake the Egress Chassis and body and box it all up!

I had and raced an original. Pictured.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Retro and Re-Release Buggies, Trucks, etc.-egress-1.jpg   Tamiya Retro and Re-Release Buggies, Trucks, etc.-egress-2.jpg   Tamiya Retro and Re-Release Buggies, Trucks, etc.-egress-3.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

My dad still has his Egress running haha cool car.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry I haven't been on the forum in a while.
The Egress does count and looking at it makes me think, anyone got a hotshot?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Tamiya ?...

I'm a really big fan of RC cars, but i'm just getting started. I'm Bugstompers sister and he says that Tamiyas are affordable and fun to drive. I could take some advice about Tamiyas and other cars that are affordable. Thanks!

Looking for Lunchbox or Rising Fighter... Would like retro, not re-release
Old 10-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Actually, now that i've looked at the Black foot, I'm thinking about changing my mind about wanting a Lunchbox...
I like the Black Foot more...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I wouldn't take the Lunchbox off of your mind...
Everybody who's driven 2 different Tamiya retros knows they all have a personality of their own... you'd be surprised. The hotshot for example, drives completely different than the hornet, it handles better, is easier to control. But that's what makes certain cars fun, and certain cars racers, how they drive.
Alot of people will agree.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Originally Posted by fung_kyle
My dad still has his Egress running haha cool car.
All old and new Tamiyas are cool. Its the truth, the Subaru Brat is cool, and the Sand Viper is cool.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

bump
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

tamiya boomerang here for me was my first car, back in the day when the whole Sears lobos were popular. Loved that car, then hit a curb and didn't at that age think I could fix it. years later, found out my sister threw it away ... ARGH!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Suspended

What is this thread?

You are just making posts listing old Tamiya cars. Most everyone knows about these cars. You aren't even posting pics of your own cars, just ones you found on Google. Maybe you should go over to tamiyaclub.com. As much as you seem to love Tamiyas, your head is going to explode when you visit that site.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Talking Tamiya Frog

Just a bump for the thread!
Tamiya Frog
Old 09-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
What is this thread?

You are just making posts listing old Tamiya cars. Most everyone knows about these cars. You aren't even posting pics of your own cars, just ones you found on Google. Maybe you should go over to tamiyaclub.com. As much as you seem to love Tamiyas, your head is going to explode when you visit that site.
+1