Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best 1/10 scale RC Rally car kit? >

Best 1/10 scale RC Rally car kit?

Best 1/10 scale RC Rally car kit?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions?? Best 1/10 scale RC Rally car kit?

I've been looking around the web for a good 1/10 scale rally car but am still unsure as to which is the best kit to fit my needs. I currently own a TC4 Touring/Drift Car and a Traxxas Slash 4WD. I like both but have always wanted a rally car to bridge the gap.

Here are my requirements so far:
- Must be 1/10 scale to fit bodies and wheels from my TC4.
- Must be water/dirt resistant (duh)
- Must be somewhat durable (if I flip it it doesn't shatter into 1000 parts)

For electronics I was thinking about using the Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s ESC & 3500kv Motor combination and a digital servo of some sort along with a Spektrum receiver. Other recommendations for motor/esc/servo would be appreciated as long as they are waterproof/water resistant.

Here are the kits Ive looked at so far:

Tamiya 92203 1/10 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IV Kit DF03RA

Tamiya 58426 1/10 Subaru Impreza WRC 2008 Kit

Team Associated - TC3 with the rally conversion kit

LOSI XX-4 Rally Weapon

I'm open to other options but I wanted to ask everyone what they thought or if they have any personal experience with any of the above.

Thanks and I appreciate any advice/suggestions
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

In the coming weeks I'll be building up the Tamiya XV-01 Rally on our site. Looking forward to the build a lot actually!

Have you seen that one?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Man that XV-01 looks nice but it's a bit more than I was looking to spend, i was trying to keep the price around $175-$200

Last edited by Djtrippusa; 08-29-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Put aside a couple of hours and have a read here:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-c-rally.html

And here:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...ydney-nsw.html

They'll answer a lot of your questions, and probably raise many more
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Have owned them all.

The Rally weapon is a great car and very advanced for its time, but finding parts for it was getting tough..especially the belts. Sold mine as I was looking for something more modern with parts that were a bit easier to find.

The TC3 is always a good bet. I'm not sure about the rally conversion though, it bumped out the width to 200mm, but it looked a bit square to me. Did notice a difference in handling, but it was a good handler at the original width, and looked much better imo. Most rally bodies are 190mm. I'd question whether the rally kit was needed. Car has an open pinion/spur as well. Never gave me trouble, but the potential is there.

The Impreza is a TT01 kit. Known for taking a beating, and cheap parts and upgrades but no adjustability on the chassis - at least stock. Good way to get in on the cheap though and anot a bad car with a few key upgrades. Not going to last long with a VXL without some upgrades though.

The DF03ra has some plusses and some minuses. Can search around for more details on mods and set-ups, but not a bad kit. Best of the bunch from what you have listed. Be believe Tamiya is about to discontinue this car however.

If you can find one, a TB01 is an excellent rally car as well and should be in your price range. Built like a tank, tub chassis, and uses parts that are still commonly available. There are usually a few floating around on Ebay.

The XV is heads and shoulders above the rest. Well sealed chassis, tons of adjustments. Very pleased with mine. It's not cheap, but if you can swing it, it is the best one out there right now.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the advice, this was what I was looking to find out. What motor and esc would u recommend?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

That depends on you. Where do you plan to run, how fast do you want to go, which car are you looking at, what's your budget, etc.

Where I run, it's fairly small so i run stock silvercans on 2S. Could go with more power certainly, but I find the car is easier to control with less power. Sometimes, slower is faster.

Any of the cars above will easily handle a mild to mid level brushless if that's the answer you are looking for. (the stock TT should have some driveline upgrades first imo)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have both the TC3 w/ rally conversion along with the HPI RS4 rally. I love them both. My only complaint with the AE rally car was the steering rack. I recently swapped my TC4 drift for a yoke but plan on using the TC4 as a rally platform

I would say if you can find the pieces from the AE rally conversion, go that route. You might trim the limiters for droop to allow the arms to drop more.

As for motor, I was running a mild 19t brushed motor. In talkin with a fellow racer about bringing rally back, we thought 13.5 would be plenty.

Good luck.

Momo
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks again for the advice, my local hobby shop doesn't have any rally kits except the WR8 FLUX but that thing is big and after reading a few reviews it doesn't seem like it will be good for running on the surfaces around here. The hobby shop guys also seem to think the rally cars are a waste of time/money, they are more into off road buggies/trucks and on road touring/drift cars Glad someone on here can give me some answers/guidence

To answer your questions:

I moved to an apartment complex recently so there are some good asphalt back allys with a few small speed bumps to jump, a basketball court that's really old and bumpy, a few dirt patches and baseball fields in the area so that would be my running terrain.

I'm really liking the DF03ra and TB01s, might consider XV-01 but the price on that is a bit steep, would it really be the best option above the rest? I found a guy on here selling the TC3 with Rally conversion but he's missing the front 200mm arms so he installed the stock 190's. He wants $70 for the roller: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...sion-rare.html

I'm in love with this one:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58270

but haven't found any for sale anywhere

I thought the TC3 would be good but I'd have to buy the electronics to put in it which might put me in the DF03 & TB01 kit price range. Also, a friend of mine had a TC3 Rally conversion but he said it didn't last long and ended up scrapping it.

I really wasn't trying to spend more than $200-$230 for everything to start. Are the stock motors and escs that come in the DF03ra and TB01s kits any good? I could always run that until I can afford a brushless system. I don't need warp speed but I want to be able to roll over some rough terrain without worry of getting stuck. The TB01 looks more aggressive and sturdier than the DF03ra though, any thoughts there?

I have 2 5000mha 2s Lipo's for my TC4 right now and a 5700mha think it's 3S lipo in my slash 4x4. Anyone know if the traxxas Traxxas Velineon VXL-3s ESC & 3500kv can handle 3s lipos? If not the 5700mha is probably a 2s.

I wanted to run the rally car through some small puddles so water reseistant/proof would be nice. I think ground clearence is important for me and some of the rally kits I saw look a bit to low to the ground.

Based off that what would are your thoughts? I'm gonna read up on the links Sith Lord provided tonight when I get home but like I said noone in my area seem to know/care much for RC Rally Cars =\

Thanks again guys,

Last edited by Djtrippusa; 08-30-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MOmo View Post
I have both the TC3 w/ rally conversion along with the HPI RS4 rally. I love them both. My only complaint with the AE rally car was the steering rack. I recently swapped my TC4 drift for a yoke but plan on using the TC4 as a rally platform

I would say if you can find the pieces from the AE rally conversion, go that route. You might trim the limiters for droop to allow the arms to drop more.

As for motor, I was running a mild 19t brushed motor. In talkin with a fellow racer about bringing rally back, we thought 13.5 would be plenty.

Good luck.

Momo
I forgot to mention guys, I have a stock TC4 which I was going to sell the get the rally car (just built a carbon fiber tc4 for onroad racing), i could just get the tc3 rally conversion parts but the front arms are impossible to find right now. I could buy that TC3 rally roller i posted a link to and take the parts from it considering that how much it sould cost to get them from TA (just checked), there seem to be a bunch of disadvantages to doing this though, seems like more of a process to go that route as opposed to selling the r2r tc4 and buying a rally kit.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, so I found a Tamiya 1/10 Lancer Evo. IV Monte Carlo DF03Ra Kit 92203
http://bit.ly/PG7Qty for $208

or i could go with the 1/10 XV-01 Pro Rally Chassis Kit 58526 NIB

http://bit.ly/TAfvsq for $304

Do both these kits need electronics? I can salvage them from my tc4 if need be. Would the XV-01 pro be worth the $100 as far as durability, parts support, and water/dirt resistance goes? These seem to be my two best options so far unless someone can find either for a lower price?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Djtrippusa; 08-30-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

There is a non-pro version of the XV-01 that comes with body and is cheaper.. it's PN 58528
Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

The TB is a tank. I had one a while ago and am still kicking myself for selling it. I would say it is slightly sturdier than the DF simply as it is a simpler design.

The DF03 comes with an ESC, neither of the XV's do. The XV pro will be far more expensive once you factor in all the electronics and a body. The Subie is a nice kit, but again, needs electronics.

The chassis on the XV is well sealed, and the wheel wells are very nice. The DF03 is an open tub. People track down a Dark Impact/Keen Hawk body and use it as an undertray. Been looking for one myself for a while, haven't seen one come up lately. Don't need one to run it, but it does help keep debris out of the chassis. The drivetrain is enclosed though, so no worries on fouling the gears.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm thinking from a cost perspective the DF03 is the way to go, it comes with all the electronics except radio but i have that so

Body even has light buckets woo! I can get the evo kit for $208 on ebay or have this other hobby shop order it but they want $250 :/ I can wait the extra few days to save $42 lol

Last edited by Djtrippusa; 08-30-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I heard lipos don't fit well in the DF03 though, is that true?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.