R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Sc 10 Gear noise (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/656420-sc-10-gear-noise.html)

davidl67 08-23-2012 06:46 AM

Sc 10 Gear noise

hello Guys,
Question I have an SC 10 with CC sidewinderV2 / 3800kv and 87 Spur and 15T pinion gearing and 2s 5000 lipo. Evereytime I get on the throttle hard I have a noise like two gears are not meshing. I am running on parking lot due to the lack of track in the area. I have broken down the tranny cleaned it out and packed it with black grease. when I do run it on loose dirt it not as much but on pavement it always there. Going to try to replace the 15T with 18T since my ESC and motor run way cool with the 15T and may be with less torque. Plus the truck pulls wheels so high the back bumper drag across the ground but does not flip over,weird. it can do this over 80 ft. Any suggestion on any thing else I can do or does the sc 10 just have that noise. kinda of a newbe but did race 20 yrs ago with RC 10 so kinda of an old dog coming back out of retirement lol

thanks

Ps. I have adjusted the slipper clutch from very lose to very tight. you can Pm as well

Hotbodiesd4 08-24-2012 12:35 AM

some sc10's have a clicking diff. Open up your diff and check. You might have to shim or replace your bevel gears.

K. Wood 08-24-2012 05:57 AM

SC 10 comes from factory with a diff problem. AE will send you the shims and instructions to fix it for free. Send an email to [email protected]. Be sure to take out all the old shims, even the thin ones between the outdrives and the outside of the diff case.While you are in there be sure to check the diff gears to make sure they are ok.

samuelsonmark71 08-24-2012 06:01 AM

I'd look into the SC10 part 2 forum and they have discussed this issue in depth. don't have a link at the moment, but its on the first two pages

dday 08-24-2012 09:33 AM

Check your idler gear. Look at each tooth carefully for chips, broken teeth or debris particles wedged in the teeth. Mine clicked for a few battery packs before total failure.

parallelfish 08-24-2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dday (Post 11131351)
Check your idler gear. Look at each tooth carefully for chips, broken teeth or debris particles wedged in the teeth. Mine clicked for a few battery packs before total failure.

Also check for debris wedged in the spur and pinion gears. Even slight debris there can be quite noisy.

Sylvain 08-24-2012 09:40 AM

If you hear a clicking sound, this might be the gear diff. Add an extra shim behind each sun gear and you'll be fine.

machocave 08-24-2012 10:38 AM

You may need to reshim your gear diff or maybe try replacing the idler gear. Here's a video about the gear diff problem that I had on my SC10, I ended up replacing the sun gears:
http://youtu.be/zSSs0U-d450

Originally Posted by davidl67 (Post 11126885)
hello Guys,
Question I have an SC 10 with CC sidewinderV2 / 3800kv and 87 Spur and 15T pinion gearing and 2s 5000 lipo. Evereytime I get on the throttle hard I have a noise like two gears are not meshing. I am running on parking lot due to the lack of track in the area. I have broken down the tranny cleaned it out and packed it with black grease. when I do run it on loose dirt it not as much but on pavement it always there. Going to try to replace the 15T with 18T since my ESC and motor run way cool with the 15T and may be with less torque. Plus the truck pulls wheels so high the back bumper drag across the ground but does not flip over,weird. it can do this over 80 ft. Any suggestion on any thing else I can do or does the sc 10 just have that noise. kinda of a newbe but did race 20 yrs ago with RC 10 so kinda of an old dog coming back out of retirement lol

thanks

Ps. I have adjusted the slipper clutch from very lose to very tight. you can Pm as well

davidl67 08-24-2012 11:26 AM

diff noise

thank K.wood and the rest of you guys for the info,
I went to the local shop after I posted this to see what they said and they said it OK don't worry about it. Well I know it been years since I last raced but know enough when gears don't mesh well.i did contact nick at Associated so see what they will do. I am going to order a rebuilt kit any how to have on hand and maybe a ball diff kit too.

davidl67 08-24-2012 04:14 PM

quick update

Asscoated is send out the shim kit today thanks again all for the advice I did check the ideal gear and the rest they are in like new shape so we will see if that fixs the issue Cya

Micah123 08-24-2012 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by davidl67 (Post 11131716)
thank K.wood and the rest of you guys for the info,
I went to the local shop after I posted this to see what they said and they said it OK don't worry about it. Well I know it been years since I last raced but know enough when gears don't mesh well.i did contact nick at Associated so see what they will do. I am going to order a rebuilt kit any how to have on hand and maybe a ball diff kit too.

Probably stay with the gear diff unless you plan on racing. The gear diff will handle your 3800 power.