2wd backyard basher

Old 08-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 2wd backyard basher

Hi everyone!
After selling my tmaxx and my 2wd stampede 3 years ago I really want to get back into Rc.
I am looking for a good 2wd basher for all conditions including snow and tall grass. I would prefer 2wd due to initial cost and easier maintenance, plus I have more experience with 2wd.
Would really prefer a traxxas and would also like a brushless one but it does not have to be, I would just upgrade it anyway later on. Looking to spend less than 400$ that includes 40$ charger. Also I am leaning towards stampede vxl 2wd but I know nothing about the newer stuff.
Thank you for any opinions or feedback!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hisliprc33 View Post
Hi everyone!
After selling my tmaxx and my 2wd stampede 3 years ago I really want to get back into Rc.
I am looking for a good 2wd basher for all conditions including snow and tall grass. I would prefer 2wd due to initial cost and easier maintenance, plus I have more experience with 2wd.
Would really prefer a traxxas and would also like a brushless one but it does not have to be, I would just upgrade it anyway later on. Looking to spend less than 400$ that includes 40$ charger. Also I am leaning towards stampede vxl 2wd but I know nothing about the newer stuff.
sooo... you want traxxas. electric. 2wd. you've had Pede. you want to play in grass ie no buggy....

that leaves you with..... will let the others guess
Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Hi everyone!
Was there a reason you sold the 1st 2 traxxas trucks before ..because now would be a great time to look at something else they did there job bringing you into this hobby now let some other company try to keep you hear...just saying ...hpi ...good place to start
Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
sooo... you want traxxas. electric. 2wd. you've had Pede. you want to play in grass ie no buggy....

that leaves you with..... will let the others guess
Thank you for the quick response, I have had the stampede Xl-5 but I have not tried the vxl version. I also doubt slash 2wd would be able to handle much tall grass but I do like the scale look of slash.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
Was there a reason you sold the 1st 2 traxxas trucks before ..because now would be a great time to look at something else they did there job bringing you into this hobby now let some other company try to keep you hear...just saying ...hpi ..ae...losi ..good place to start
I guess the reason I sold was at the time I needed car money. But now I have a nice car and after a couple of years I'm ready to step back into the hobby. I guess I don't need traxxas but that's what I'm used to, it really seems like the other companies have really taken over in the last few years! Also my local hobby shop is all traxxas
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

They're good aren't they???
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Thank you for the quick response, I have had the stampede Xl-5 but I have not tried the vxl version. I also doubt slash 2wd would be able to handle much tall grass but I do like the scale look of slash.
Stampede vxl is a good back yard basher ,good for grass and you change it around
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...ns&pn=TRA36072

Here's a good price on one ..
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I guess the reason I sold was at the time I needed car money. But now I have a nice car and after a couple of years I'm ready to step back into the hobby. I guess I don't need traxxas but that's what I'm used to, it really seems like the other companies have really taken over in the last few years! Also my local hobby shop is all traxxas
If you just want a fun RC to run with there is nothing at all wrong with Traxxas, they are solid and just a ton of fun. If your LHS is well stocked on Traxxas parts that is a plus on the idea of running a Traxxas. I would say a good one to look at is a 4x4 Stampede, with the big tires it will float over things that a SC or buggy would gum up in, and from what I have seen of them they are just a blast to drive. If you have the $$$ I would say get a Losi TEN-T roller somewhere and drop in the SCTE parts to make it brushless... those things are more than a hoot themselves, just a little more on the pricy side.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for the responses!
I guess I was really considering the 4x4 stampede but after checking out what I would want out of it it would just be to much for my small budget. I would really like a 2wd and it really seems like the vxl stampede 2wd sounds like a cool rig.
Also I was really hoping to add a lot of cool mods to my new Rc so another thing I would consider Is a basic package such as a 2wd slash with tqi radio, it seems like a good platform and has a lot of room for mods
Old 08-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Also I was really hoping to add a lot of cool mods to my new Rc so another thing I would consider Is a basic package such as a 2wd slash with tqi radio, it seems like a good platform and has a lot of room for mods
why not start with a proper rc car right away so it isn't a money pit?