Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Short Course Bitter Sweet for RC Racing? >

Short Course Bitter Sweet for RC Racing?

Short Course Bitter Sweet for RC Racing?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Short Course Bitter Sweet for RC Racing?

I've been doing some thinking lately, and have come accross the realization that atleast at my local track, SC is tied for the most popular class outdoor, and by far and away the most popular class indoor.

Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan of any type of off-road rc racing. Whatever kind of vehice I have to buy to keep racing, that's what I'm going to get. At the sme time though, I do prefer, or feel like I would prefer to race one class over another.

When I got into racing 2 or so year ago, I was a noob just like anybody else. I bashed my nitro savage monster truck in the back yard for years and thought I should race it. I quickly found out that monster trucks were dead in the racing aspect of things, so I dropped that idea and went online looking for a more race oriented truck. I've been to the track once before and that sparked my interest in racing. I saw the SC trucks, but never put much thought into buying one. They seemed lame compared to the 1/10 buggies and trucks and never in my wildest dreams would I have thought soon enough, SC would become the most popular class. I saw just about to pull the trigger on a T4.1, and I thought to be safe, I had better call the hobby shop/track and find out if this is a good decision. Good thing I did. He told me that there hasnt been a 2wd truck class in years because of SC, indoor or out. Needless to say, I bought a 2wd SC soon after. I wasnt necessarily happy about my purchase, but it was gong to get me racing, so I did it.

Tons of people always say "SC revived rc" and "without the SC class, RC racing would be this or that" but to be honest, RC racing didn't seem dead before? It seemed more diversified with slightly less people.

My point being, is that I would race a 2wd 1/10 truck/buggy in a heartbeat over any short course truck. In fact, as soon as I heard that 2wd buggy was going to be a formidable class indoors this winter, I dropped running 2wd sc outside, sold the truck, and bought a B4.1. I read an article recently on teamsc10.com that gave me 5 reasons why I should buy a short course truck, and 2 of the reasons were cost (they said it was the cheapest class) and excitement of racing. Both of those are false, one in my opinion, and the other is fact. SC is most definitely NOT the cheapest class, and for those of you who run 2wd buggy know exactly why, and the most exciting racing? You've got to be kidding! 1/8 buggy kills SC time after time. Their argument is because their wheels are enclosed, you can hit each other and not cause a crash, in turn making it a more relistic racing experience? In every motorsport out there, you are trying to make clean passes without hitting anybody lol, not the other way around.

This is not to bash short course (kinda) its just that it seemed like after they introduced short course, sure, the racing scene is much busier and there are many more people (I realize this now). But it seemed to water down the racing with brand new racers who don't know of any class other tha SC. In the process, killing off several other very cool, if not cooler RC classes.

/rant
Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I fully completely 100% positivitly agree!

Even though 2WD Buggy is a tiny class around here vs 2WD SCT Mod I'd rather stick to my buggy. Tires are cheaper, bodies are much cheaper and last a lot longer, open wheel means cleaner racing IMO, oh did I mention cleaner racing.

I ran Stock SCT for a while and it was a great way to get back into the hobby and start racing but I quickly grew tired of the 'crash'em' mentality than many SCT drivers in my area have. A little running here and there is one thing since its pretty much inevitable but deliberately going out if your way to wreck someone deserves that driver be pushed off the 25+ foot drivers stand.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

yawn
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

I got back in to the hobby about a year and a half ago after a 14ish year break. When I got back in to it, I saw SCT, and wanted nothing to do with it. The racing in open wheel is much, much cleaner. I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist, when I raced years ago we had buggy, stadium truck, and 4wd buggy. That's what I grew up loving in this hobby, and that's what I love now. The clean racing is more enjoyable to be a part of, as well as watch. I cringe when I have to marshall a mod SC race, 2wd or 4wd. The driving is getting better around here though. I think people are starting to realize that clean racing is faster racing.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I could not agree more. I am a very limited racer but I have cars in multiple classes and do believe that too much emphasis is placed on SC racing. And SC daredevils make practice at many tracks impossible.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think most RC racing is exciting. I certainly don't think one class is any more exciting than another - Especially 1/8 buggies and truggies. The only thing that makes it MORE exciting to me is the level of competition. When the local hot drivers are on a race Is that much more interesting. Watching regular Joes lawn darting 1/8 buggies and cartwheeling truggies isn't much fun at all.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like buggy be it 1/10 2wd or 1/8 and I like sc trucks, racing etiquette is needed in all classes but to call one class bad because its more popular than what you like is kind of childish. I have been racing since 1984 and all classes can be a hack fest. I have gone 3 years with my SC10 losing 2 parts (e clip and a bulk head), 3 weeks with buggy I have gone through a set of tires and 16 dollars in parts. SC tires might cost more but they last longer.Less wheel spin and a larger radius tire = longer life. I love 1/10 4wd buggy was one of my first classes I got into but I won't race it due to upkeep and being how fragile that they are. Clip a pipe and you very well could have to do major front end replacement.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

SC has meant alot of tracks have reduced the size of jumps etc..(less 1/8 oriented), which means the smaller 10th scale stuff can race on the same tracks again and I think has helped lead to an increase in interest in the more traditional classes,
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
I like buggy be it 1/10 2wd or 1/8 and I like sc trucks, racing etiquette is needed in all classes but to call one class bad because its more popular than what you like is kind of childish. I have been racing since 1984 and all classes can be a hack fest. I have gone 3 years with my SC10 losing 2 parts (e clip and a bulk head), 3 weeks with buggy I have gone through a set of tires and 16 dollars in parts. SC tires might cost more but they last longer.Less wheel spin and a larger radius tire = longer life. I love 1/10 4wd buggy was one of my first classes I got into but I won't race it due to upkeep and being how fragile that they are. Clip a pipe and you very well could have to do major front end replacement.
I dont think his rant is based on popularity. It is based on what my experience with SC drivers is the noob "bonehead" SC) factor. When I go to practice at OC/RC during the week when there is no racing, there are always the ones who never race, cars are way too fast for them to handle, they never get any better, and are out to get each other (and other people in the process). I dont beleive it is done intentionally, and I put the blame on track owners not doing their jobs of properly policing their own tracks. It seems very much to me that SC drivers are far and away the most bone headed type of drivers. Competitie SC drivers who car actually make it around the track without juming a pipe, going backwards on the track, stopping on the straight, again taking out each other and others around them for no reason other then the bonehead factor need to be addressed some how, some way so everybody can have a good time whether it is practicing (I like to know my lap times other then racing), and during racing it's self. If your experience with 4-wheel drive is fragility, then you must have done something wrong, I have owned B44.1's. Kyosho ZX-5 FS's, and rarely ever broken anything that wasnt my fault. In my opinion it is the most exciting class in ALL of RC due to the speed and prescision it takes to run a car that small with that amount of speed on tight technical tracks.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Short Course is like a gateway drug. People try it and get hooked, then they see the more "hard core" stuff like mod buggy and they strive to race like that. Here in San Diego our 2wd Buggy classes are easily as large, and often larger than Short Course classes.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I see SC as a perfect class for the "Basher" to "Racer" transition. Scale realism counts for a lot to the "Newb" which is obvious with the success of SC. If a bunch of SC "Bashers" are showing up at your local track they are putting money into the club and helping to keep the track operating. How is any of this a bad thing? If you don't like SC, race another class.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
Even though 2WD Buggy is a tiny class around here vs 2WD SCT Mod I'd rather stick to my buggy.
THIS x's 1000. That being said I am debating getting my SC10 back together and running 2 classes. I am staying away from 4wd though, that class is crazy, and I can't deal with the overly hot electrics and ruined batteries.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrodieMan View Post
I see SC as a perfect class for the "Basher" to "Racer" transition. Scale realism counts for a lot to the "Newb" which is obvious with the success of SC. If a bunch of SC "Bashers" are showing up at your local track they are putting money into the club and helping to keep the track operating. How is any of this a bad thing? If you don't like SC, race another class.

Well said.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

If short course keeps the tracks open, I am all for it. The trick is getting SC racers to convert from SC to other classes. However, I gotta say I do like 4wd SCT as it is the closet thing to 8th scale electric which is redheaded step child locally. 4wd SCT is largest class now. Not a huge fan of the 2wd classes and 4wd 1/10 is hit or miss.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Shush! Short course truck has its place, if not for short course truck, all those hack racers would be in the 2wd buggy class. Short course truck is popular for two reasons, 1 because it has a truck body on it, 2 because its not called novice class.

Keep quite and be happy your in the elite buggy class with cleaner races and saving money on tires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.