Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HELP!  Dusting off old Duratrax Evader ST >

HELP! Dusting off old Duratrax Evader ST

HELP! Dusting off old Duratrax Evader ST

Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HELP! Dusting off old Duratrax Evader ST

Ok, I have a decent stable of nitro and electric stuff around the house. Mostly Traxxas with an odd Tamiya and Associated thrown in. My dad recently had a coworker give him an old Duratrax Evader ST. It is a brushed truck with simple 75MHz radio on it. Don't plan to hop it up much as this is dad's first RC and he will just be playing around with me and my son. I do have a couple of questions on it though:

1) Are there other options than the stock axles? I absolutely hate the 3/16" nut when all my stuff is metric. 1st class PITA. Would be great if I could set his up with Traxxas axles to match a couple of my electrics. Is it even possible? Any suggestions here?

2) Wheels and tires are tough to find. Is it possible to convert them to hexes to match all the Traxxas stuff out there, or another widely carried rim (LHS caters mainly to Traxxas)? What offsets does the evader match up with and what wheels and tires fit it?

3) Can the stock brushed ESC handle 8.4V? Debating between adding an LVC and going brushless or slapping in a 8.4VNiMH. I have plenty of both around my place!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onegoodie
Ok, I have a decent stable of nitro and electric stuff around the house. Mostly Traxxas with an odd Tamiya and Associated thrown in. My dad recently had a coworker give him an old Duratrax Evader ST. It is a brushed truck with simple 75MHz radio on it. Don't plan to hop it up much as this is dad's first RC and he will just be playing around with me and my son. I do have a couple of questions on it though:

1) Are there other options than the stock axles? I absolutely hate the 3/16" nut when all my stuff is metric. 1st class PITA. Would be great if I could set his up with Traxxas axles to match a couple of my electrics. Is it even possible? Any suggestions here?

2) Wheels and tires are tough to find. Is it possible to convert them to hexes to match all the Traxxas stuff out there, or another widely carried rim (LHS caters mainly to Traxxas)? What offsets does the evader match up with and what wheels and tires fit it?

3) Can the stock brushed ESC handle 8.4V? Debating between adding an LVC and going brushless or slapping in a 8.4VNiMH. I have plenty of both around my place!

Thanks in advance for the help!

1) Idk about this but maybe the sc10 cvs will fit, measure them.

2) t4 wheels will fit right on just fine

3) I ran 2s on mine for a bit and it was fine.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Hmmm... No luck so far on the rear end. The diff on the duratrax uses a different drive cup mount than Traxxas. As a result I have use a dogbone/CVD type fixed shaft length that matches the Evader but has a metric thread on the end. So far everything I have looked at is too short. Was hoping to adapt the cheapo Traxxas slider shafts on it, as they would give me some leeway on length. Still head scratching on this one...but I HATE the 3/16" threads and 3/8" wheel nuts...

Going to convert the fronts to the Traxxas knuckles and carriers. Not the most effecient, but I am looking for lots of larger tire options for a front yard grass toy, not a racer.

Got a Traxxas to Deans adapter and am going to slap a 2S LiPO with LVC in it and be done for the battery. Again, not the most seamless, but I got tons of Traxxas stuff already...