R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   ROAR Electric Bump ups (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/654142-roar-electric-bump-ups.html)

skengines 08-14-2012 12:09 PM

ROAR Electric Bump ups

I understand that there are no bumps ups at ROAR Events and that you have 3-4 rounds to qualify for the A Main, but since there are no bump ups does that mean the racers in the lower mains are just there to race?

Usually the point of racing the lower main is to bump up to the A, so I was just wondering how this type of racing program. works.

Grandturk 08-14-2012 12:16 PM

That's right - they do triple A mains and single lower mains. No bumps. You are there just to race your main.

J_P 08-14-2012 12:23 PM

Bump Ups are a gas thing. No need at the national level in Electric.

big_ads 08-14-2012 12:38 PM

its also a race director nightmare trying to organize classes and have bump ups because there is never the exact same amount of heats in all the classes.

Speaking from experience, someone always needs 10 minutes to cool down in order to bump up. Not to mention there is a certain point when the bumpee gets into a main that is above their skill level and I have been wrecked in my main by someone out of control because there speed control was melting down from bumping up three mains.

If you want to be in a higher main...qualify there. Simple as that.

MarkA 08-14-2012 12:41 PM

There should never be a BQ-scenario at a National. Someone who should be in the top ten in the class in the country should not have to race a lower main to keep the other guys in the lower mains entertained or whatever you'd want to call it.

TY@TEAMTEKIN 08-14-2012 01:07 PM

Bumps aren't only a gas thing, they did it at Jconcepts in Chico and the NCT up here does it for all classes.

Grandturk 08-14-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN (Post 11093139)
Bumps aren't only a gas thing, they did it at Jconcepts in Chico and the NCT up here does it for all classes.

Lots of tracks and Races do bumps. It's certainly not just a gas thing. I don't think, however, the objective of a racer in a lower main is to bump up to the next one. Sure it's fun, but more than likely - unless you sandbagged qualifying or there really is not much gap between racers skill - you're going to just be lapped traffic in the next main up.

So*Cal AFDude 08-14-2012 08:14 PM

I agree, that bumps are kind of pointless at top level races. Most racers do have an incredible bump story though.

I had electronic problems in all my qualifiers(turned out being a damaged TX).

Qualified 1 from last in the G-Main. Bumped all the way to the A, and wound up placing 5th after a 45 minute main. Ran that poor car to the ground! And went through 2 sets of tires 0.o

thecman26 08-14-2012 08:26 PM

I have been racing 7 years now, never been to a single race that did bump ups, as far as electric 1/10th scale races that is. Yes I have seen lots in nitro racing though!

Derry 08-14-2012 08:57 PM

hhhhmmmm... weird. I don't remember the last race i went to that didn't have bump ups for electric. guess it's different from region to region.

UN4RACING 08-14-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by thecman26 (Post 11094739)
I have been racing 7 years now, never been to a single race that did bump ups, as far as electric 1/10th scale races that is. Yes I have seen lots in nitro racing though!

I just raced the RC Pro series this year at Fastlane. 1/8th E. Ended 3rd, bumped up from 16th over all. 1st round was a TQ spot. Second round terrible tire choice. 3rd round bad battery connection. I was like 6th in the B and bumped up to the A. Finished 3rd. It would have been a shame not to be in the main not having a bump up and I would have been out big time. All due to simple mistakes in the quals.

UN4RACING 08-14-2012 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Derry (Post 11094861)
hhhhmmmm... weird. I don't remember the last race i went to that didn't have bump ups for electric. guess it's different from region to region.

Must be. I don't make any real big races but have never been to a race with no bump ups.

thecman26 08-14-2012 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 11094921)
I just raced the RC Pro series this year at Fastlane. 1/8th E. Ended 3rd, bumped up from 16th over all. 1st round was a TQ spot. Second round terrible tire choice. 3rd round bad battery connection. I was like 6th in the B and bumped up to the A. Finished 3rd. It would have been a shame not to be in the main not having a bump up and I would have been out big time. All due to simple mistakes in the quals.

Thats why they always stress having a good run in quals around here, if ya make the G Main... Better luck next year...

UN4RACING 08-14-2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by thecman26 (Post 11094939)
Thats why they always stress having a good run in quals around here, if ya make the G Main... Better luck next year...

Yep. I was thankful for the bump in this case by the mains I had it all together. They were doing best 2 out of 3. 1st round I was TQ. Now if they would have ran rocket rounds I would have been in the A. So I am all for the bump ups.
All my fault but that's racing to. The pressure would be on to bring your A game if no bump ups that's for sure....

thecman26 08-14-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 11094994)
Yep. I was thankful for the bump in this case by the mains I had it all together. They were doing best 2 out of 3. 1st round I was TQ. Now if they would have ran rocket rounds I would have been in the A. So I am all for the bump ups.
All my fault but that's racing to. The pressure would be on to bring your A game if no bump ups that's for sure....

For sure, that would suck big time if you had driven 3 hours to a big race and made silly goof ups and qaulified bad... Then it would suck for sure!

But its all for fun anyways right? ;)