Wiki Posts
Search

Rustler CVD Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Rustler CVD Recommendations?

Hey guys, I have a Rustler that is running off of a 2400kv Castle 1415 Motor and 4s, and needless to say I am breaking things...

First crash; Integy CVD's broke(the pin fell out), after some custom surgery I had it fixed until the second crash which then bent the rear axles which, of course, Integy does not make a replacement for. Now, I went into this knowing they would break, but two crashes, two breaks? Integy=Junk.

So, I found these "hard steel" CVD's and haven't heard anyone talk about them....thoughts?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARD-STEEL-R...item2ec02448d1

Next option MIP's, especially since they have a replacement rear axle. Any thoughts on the HARD STEEL brand? They look beefy...!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Don't bother with the ebay stuff. Just get MIP units and be done with it. All parts are are readily available separately and they are completely rebuildable.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, i probably will, but for the sake of knowing... DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH HARD STEEL CVD'S?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

i use the MIP's in my rustler, (one of the best upgrades to the rustler) and have never broken one since i got them 3 years ago. I HATED rebuilding the yokes on the stock shafts!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lemonader83
Hey guys, I have a Rustler that is running off of a 2400kv Castle 1415 Motor and 4s, and needless to say I am breaking things...

First crash; Integy CVD's broke(the pin fell out), after some custom surgery I had it fixed until the second crash which then bent the rear axles which, of course, Integy does not make a replacement for. Now, I went into this knowing they would break, but two crashes, two breaks? Integy=Junk.
!
I highlighted the parts I have a problem with. 4s in a Rustler would not be considered "normal" use, even 3s is really pushing it IHMO. You knew you were going to break things going with this power combo and you still went through with it. You have no one to blame but yourself. Nothing on the Rustler was designed to handle that kind of power. You would have a similiar problem if you ran 4s on a TLR 22T or a AE T4.1.

That said, MIP is your best bet but I wouldn't be surprised if you still had problems. You might want to look at their replacement parts for a Revo or Savage and see if you can make them work with the Rusty's suspension.

I haven't heard of the company that made those hardened cvds so I can't comment on their durability but if they are just heat treated I think it would be a function of making the pins harder and less prone to wear vs making them less likely to bend.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Mip makes the x duty axles for the rustler as well as standard cvd. Given the level of power your running I would go with the x duty axles.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mkiiina
I highlighted the parts I have a problem with. 4s in a Rustler would not be considered "normal" use, even 3s is really pushing it IHMO. You knew you were going to break things going with this power combo and you still went through with it. You have no one to blame but yourself. Nothing on the Rustler was designed to handle that kind of power. You would have a similiar problem if you ran 4s on a TLR 22T or a AE T4.1.

That said, MIP is your best bet but I wouldn't be surprised if you still had problems. You might want to look at their replacement parts for a Revo or Savage and see if you can make them work with the Rusty's suspension.

I haven't heard of the company that made those hardened cvds so I can't comment on their durability but if they are just heat treated I think it would be a function of making the pins harder and less prone to wear vs making them less likely to bend.
I understand and appreciate your points...but... I have a completely rebuilt Rustler, it was a second gen that I got for $10 so I had nothing to lose going into this. I was planning to have issues, and I am not forecasting normal use.

Although, please keep in mind that the ripping into Integy is well deserved. The first crash was at less than 5mph and all it did was land on the shock tower gently, not even enough to scratch the metal finish. The set screws stripped the thread and bent the tower. The second crash was at about 15mph and was low impact and bent the CVD axles. These two crashes have nothing to do with the truck, the mods or the battery...just poor quality. A stock Rustler on 6s NiMH would have weathered both those crashes with ease. My point being, these were non-typical breaks completely unrelated to anything I have done to the car.

So...I am going to give kudos to the planetary diff, the tranny gears and the tranny box, all have held up well. I'll let you know how the heavy duty MIP and Hard Steel CVD's hold up, but Integy is not worth anyones money or time. Their parts don't even fit each other, and the quality AND ESPECIALLY THE CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCK

Now let's think twice before talking about Associated Vehicles handling this kind of abuse...I have a B4 with a Castle 1406, 5700kv running on 3s off a MMP. The STOCK tranny, STOCK CVD's and STOCK REAR AXLES have never broke and I've crashed it at 65mph.

Don't be scared of those big batteries mkiina, it's just gonna be faster...
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Those hardened steel CVD's (eBay) should be heavy, but oh man, look at them. Those are beefy as all get out. You could probably hit those with 6S and they'd still hold up. That's over-engineering at it's finest.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lemonader83

So, I found these "hard steel" CVD's and haven't heard anyone talk about them....thoughts?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARD-STEEL-R...item2ec02448d1

Next option MIP's, especially since they have a replacement rear axle. Any thoughts on the HARD STEEL brand? They look beefy...!
We told you the name was really Intejunk, not Integy!

The important question on those "HARD STEEL CVDS" is:

The name name of the product "HARD" or is the steel Hard? Big difference.

There was a line of products a while back with the brand name "Hard" - there was a "Hard lathe" for instance. Doesn't mean it was hard to use or the parts were hard: it was just the name.

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Describing them as "hardened" may be making an assumption not in evidence. Nothing in the description says they are "hardened steel" just that the name is "HARD" (as I pointed out above).

Looking at them my take would be this: they are plated. Plain old low carbon steel is soft I've seen it frequently plated to fight corrosion because the soft steel (almost plain iron) rusts so fast. Not to say that everything plated is junk, because some good stuff from Traxxas is plated, but note that MIP steel CVDs are no longer available in plated versions just blued steel. But AFAIK soft steel doesn't blue very well so plating is often used on soft steel for rust prevention.

You spent money on the Intejunk, now you want to spend money on another unknown. You could have just bought the MIP to begin with and not needed this discussion.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Oh you guys crack me up... Intejunk indeed, but there is a time and place for everything and learning from experience is the best way to learn I have noticed since taking on this hobby.

Truth is, you guys love commenting on these discussions, so don't view it as wasted time. What if we find out the HARD STEEL are the best ever made? This conversation would be very worthwhile.

I am trying to stay away from MIP purely b/c I don't like all the little screws, my truck will send them flying and then I have to go get more. The HARD STEEL is all riveted, and rivets don't fly easily at all. We'll see...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Let us know.

BTW, Loctite keeps screws from flying off.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

I am going to get them ordered today, I'll let you know by the weekend. Taman, you are the man and I appreciate all your advice.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I sent you a pm yesterday, I have a set of nitro rustler mip's that id part with .
Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

CVD's arrive tonight, will have pictures and feedback soon after.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-finished.html

she's all done if anyone cares to see the results.

Thansk again for all your help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.