R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to basementLOSI
Default Motor Smelling Problem

Below is my good ol' wet noodle attached to my very own motor mount

I was just wondering if my brush wire should be attached to the power in. Will it make the power flow wrong?

My motor is smelling, and I think it is either this (if it makes a difference), or the fact that I was playing around with the brush springs and put the brush springs on the wrong sides (should reverse the springs).

(Is it ok to use green and red springs on my P2K2 Pro for stock truck on a short track but with a long backstretch?)

I heard that you put a stiffer spring on the negative side I believe.. I have it written down but I can't remember right now.. to increase efficency. Is a red or green spring stiffer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc 007.jpg (145.5 KB, 79 views)
basementLOSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

Stock motors generally smell after a hard run as they tend to get hotter than most motors and are more sensitive to gearing. check that first, brush shunt location should have nothing to do with it, either should spring tension.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I forgot to mention that this is a new motor and I was slightly breaking it in with a slow slow run inside the house..
Old 03-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Tech Addict

That looks fine, but it looks like you may have wicked up some solder in the brush shunt (it may just be a shawdow) which could cause the brush to get hung up, which could cause a smell, although Ive never seen a motor that smelled when that happened. I think the problem is that you say you switched up the springs, which would be ok with some other brands of motors, but on trinity motors the springs are different on each side, so if you switch them the wont go on properly.

You should put stiffer springs on the positive side and softer on the negative. Sometimes a brush with more carbon in it is used on the negative side too. Trinity red springs are harder than Trinity green springs,
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Your right, i never thought about the trinity springs how they are different from + to -. My old stockers used to develop a smell upon run in too, but i never ran them in under load like you did, which may have make the smell come faster, i still say check the gearing.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Running it in with load probably explains it. Before the brushes are broken in, they will spark all over the place if you run it under load, that is what probably created the smell. If you used Comm drops that could also cause the smell.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I was running a P2K2 Pro all last year, with the same gearing... 18T pinion... believe me I have had my unintelligent experiences with bad gearing, haha. I guess you just gotta learn the hard way (by burning out a few motors and not understanding why and getting very frustrated and yelling)!

No comm drops were used... but I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

One thing I do not under stand is exactly what is a brush shunt? Is it the wire coming off the brush or the little crevice that the brush goes into to connect with the commutator? This is one thing I was always wondering upon..

But.. I'll keep all your suggestions in mind as far as spring tensions and what not, thanks
Old 03-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Yes, the shunt is the wire, in my experience soldering to the esc tabs has not been promising since it can hang a brush if there is no enough slack for bruch bounce ( not good but better than one getting hung) i solder it to right next to the hood ( were the brush goes in) on the opposite side of the spring, lots off slack and still easy to mount. I cant think of many more things than brushes and gearing, unless one/some of your bearing are binding which would cause excess stress and load on the motor and create motor heat resulting in a burning smell. Hope this helps
Old 03-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

you smell that?.....that's the smell of a victory! That's the smell of FIRE....PASSION.....the smell of a LOSI! stock motors are stinky....don't worry too much about it. pull the arm out, if some of the windings look burnt, then you are or will soon be shorting the rest of that motor. Otherwise, just oil it good and go to town!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote