Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread >

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Like Tree80Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0°/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Do you guys/gals have any suggestions on a must have upgrade/change on the rb6.6 for 17.5 carpet racing? Something that you cant imagine running without it that makes a huge difference?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rsxskyd View Post
Do you guys/gals have any suggestions on a must have upgrade/change on the rb6.6 for 17.5 carpet racing? Something that you cant imagine running without it that makes a huge difference?
IŽd say the RB7 Front Gullwing Arms.
Allows you to run lower ride heights essential for carper racing.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCG1 View Post
IŽd say the RB7 Front Gullwing Arms.
Allows you to run lower ride heights essential for carper racing.
Awesome, that is one thing ive noticed some of the carpet guys are doing is using the rb7 arms.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

I just got my RB6.6 out to check it over before my first meet next week and have found its really noisy when I come off the throttle and its coasting. It has a real rattle to it The car ran fine in November which was its last meet, and I just cleaned it and put it away for a couple of months. I have put a new motor in this year as the old one packed up and that was checked on a motor analyser when the timing was set and the motor seems fine.
Its running the ball diff, 3 gear standup, exotek slipper eliminator in 17.5T stock

I checked the spur/pinion mesh and adjusted it, it made it a tiny bit quieter but still really noisy
The spur doesn't look brand new anymore but is in good condition, it has sharp gears still
The pinion looks like new still
When I turn the wheels by hand the ball diff appears fine (they are a dark art to me but I get help with them from more experienced people at the track and this feels like it always has)

I took the pinion off and rolled the car and it didn't make the noise at all, also ran the motor without the pinion and that was fine. I'm picking that this means its either to do with the spur/pinion mesh, or its when the gearbox has a bit of load (ie resistance from the motor working against the rolling) which means the most likely would be the diff.

So it just makes the noise when I come off the throttle and the car is coasting. Is this normal for the RB6.6 or do I need to investigate further?
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jgil089 View Post
I just got my RB6.6 out to check it over before my first meet next week and have found its really noisy when I come off the throttle and its coasting. It has a real rattle to it The car ran fine in November which was its last meet, and I just cleaned it and put it away for a couple of months. I have put a new motor in this year as the old one packed up and that was checked on a motor analyser when the timing was set and the motor seems fine.
Its running the ball diff, 3 gear standup, exotek slipper eliminator in 17.5T stock

I checked the spur/pinion mesh and adjusted it, it made it a tiny bit quieter but still really noisy
The spur doesn't look brand new anymore but is in good condition, it has sharp gears still
When I turn the wheels by hand the ball diff appears fine (they are a dark art to me but I get help with them from more experienced people at the track and this feels like it always has)

I took the pinion off and rolled the car and it didn't make the noise at all, also ran the motor without the pinion and that was fine. I'm picking that this means its either to do with the spur/pinion mesh, or its when the gearbox has a bit of load (ie resistance from the motor working against the rolling) which means the most likely would be the diff.

So it just makes the noise when I come off the throttle and the car is coasting. Is this normal for the RB6.6 or do I need to investigate further?
You might need to open up the gear box and check the idler gear.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgil089 View Post

Funny you mention this, I was just googling possible causes of my similar problem. I just too switched to a new motor and noticed a funny sound as well. First few runs it was fine, but halfway through the race night, it started making a "tinging" sound while coasting. I know I'm my case it's the motor. Even with a pinion on it and turning by hand it makes a noise. It almost is like the rotor is SUPER strong, causing a heavy magnetic cog. I tore the motor down and saw no issues though. Performance was not effected either.

What motor are you running?

It is a good idea to open the gear box and check though, the stand-up trans plastic idler gears have been known to strip. And while it's apart, check the motor by hand. What you're saying sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with as well.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dmcguire View Post
Funny you mention this, I was just googling possible causes of my similar problem. I just too switched to a new motor and noticed a funny sound as well. First few runs it was fine, but halfway through the race night, it started making a "tinging" sound while coasting. I know I'm my case it's the motor. Even with a pinion on it and turning by hand it makes a noise. It almost is like the rotor is SUPER strong, causing a heavy magnetic cog. I tore the motor down and saw no issues though. Performance was not effected either.

What motor are you running?

It is a good idea to open the gear box and check though, the stand-up trans plastic idler gears have been known to strip. And while it's apart, check the motor by hand. What you're saying sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with as well.
I had come to that conclusion as well. I was goingnto swap the old motor in to see if it made any difference. I took out a 2 year old, knackered, full of dirt trackstar V1 17.5T and replaced it with a Surpass V4S 17.5T. The Surpass has very strong magnets compared to the Trackstar.

I will check the idler gear too

Thanks everyone
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

will the 6.6 body work ok on an rb6 mm?