R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Like Tree25Likes

Old 08-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #13621
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroargi View Post
Hey guys....has anyone tried to fit the side guards from the RB6.6 to the original RB6 chassis?
Won't work, the mounting side of the side guards for the 6.6 are flat and the original RB6 are at an angle.
Jason.Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:15 AM   #13622
Tech Adept

I've an old RB6, can I convert it to a RB6.6? I'm sorry if this has been added before. Thanks.
N15M0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:18 AM   #13623
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 283 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tobamiester Send a message via Yahoo to tobamiester

Quote:
Originally Posted by N15M0 View Post
I've an old RB6, can I convert it to a RB6.6? I'm sorry if this has been added before. Thanks.
Yup you can. All 6.6 parts are listed in the wiki at the top of this thread. Its really just chassis plate/sideguards and transmission case changes.
tobamiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 AM   #13624
Tech Apprentice

So what's the long term relationship between the laydown RB6.6 and the RZ6?

Was the RZ6 just a temporary stopgap? Or are they different enough in style or application justify both existing?
alexfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #13625
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to 13Maschine

That's a great question Alexfry....it's probably what the team will be testing over the next year or so as they already have. Seems like a laydown RB6.6 would be a close comparison with the RZ6 on high traction carpet, astro, or high traction clay type tracks.

Personally I wouldn't mind having one of the RZ6 machines but I already have 2 of the RB6 and RB6.6 soooo lol
13Maschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #13626
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So I picked up a lightweight 6 chassis (thanks bdemegs!) and I'm beginning a 17.5 build but what gearbox? I'll be running it at Trackside so traction isn't a concern. I'll be cutting all the gears. Would a laydown 3 be a lighter rotating mass than a standup? Do you run a considerably smaller pinion with the laydown 3 due to the internal gearing? I already have alum. pucks setup for it but is a gear diff lighter or a ball? Looking at a Orion stock speed control but may just run a pro in blinky mode depending on weight savings. Also looking at a shorty servo but they're not much lighter than regular from what I've read so far. Any other suggestions? Lightweight battery? 2.4 wheels?
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #13627
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
So I picked up a lightweight 6 chassis (thanks bdemegs!) and I'm beginning a 17.5 build but what gearbox? I'll be running it at Trackside so traction isn't a concern. I'll be cutting all the gears. Would a laydown 3 be a lighter rotating mass than a standup? Do you run a considerably smaller pinion with the laydown 3 due to the internal gearing? I already have alum. pucks setup for it but is a gear diff lighter or a ball? Looking at a Orion stock speed control but may just run a pro in blinky mode depending on weight savings. Also looking at a shorty servo but they're not much lighter than regular from what I've read so far. Any other suggestions? Lightweight battery? 2.4 wheels?
sounds like this will be one mean stock RB, um ball diff def lighter and they stay loaded up where your gear def may unload from time to Time, lay down from what I gathered keeps a Lower center of gravity so if traction is High should work good, unsure of internal Gearing on the Lay down, why would they change it ?

I'm a 3 Gear Rear Motor kinda Guy you can always Trust in that

Trackside stock's Hobby Wing Just stock esc's,Some of thee employee's set record lap times with them !!! They sold me Mine for my SCT, has more than enough power for 17.5 Top Racers swear by them, Smoother than orion some say, Def Lighter with a beautiful xr10 aluminum case & heat sink up top, its actually called the xr10 just stock its got new cooling technology over the mosfet's and processor as well, I bought a Works motor from Fantom They even Recommended a HW Juststock for it, and if your going to by orion dont pay that much for a stock spec get the pro, I'm looking for a good Batt my self !!!

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 08-27-2016 at 06:51 PM.
PhilipBGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #13628
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipBGreen View Post
sounds like this will be one mean stock RB, um ball diff def lighter and they stay loaded up where your gear def may unload from time to Time, lay down from what I gathered keeps a Lower center of gravity so if traction is High should work good !!! Trackside stocks Hobby Wing Just stock esc has more than enough power for 17.5 Top Racers swear by them Smoother than orion some say, I bought a Works motor from Fantom They even Recommended a HW Juststock, and if your going to by orion dont pay that much for a stock spec get the pro, I'm looking for a good Batt my self !!!
I already have 2 Orion pro's but if the stock is considerably lighter I might go that route. Got them both used and they've been bulletproof. Orion speed controls. Savox servos. Motiv motors. Never been disappointed with any of it. Can't say the same for many other brands. I want this thing on 1500. Those super lightweight batteries might be the ticket to keeping it simple.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #13629
Tech Regular

Quote:
I already have 2 Orion pro's but if the stock is considerably lighter I might go that route. Got them both used and they've been bulletproof. Orion speed controls. Savox servos. Motiv motors. Never been disappointed with any of it. Can't say the same for many other brands. I want this thing on 1500. Those super lightweight batteries might be the ticket to keeping it simple.
I'm not sure if its considerably Lighter just Lighter But many do say Its the greatest Bargin in R/c @ 51$, but by all means if you already got it use it, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was pushing brands on you, the current ratio is the same, I guess there's a secondary ratio reduction that uses a 76t spur tho, I have couple buddies who run there that run MM for sure, Ill check an see what there geared at.

Yeah you said "Looking at a Orion stock speed control but may just run a pro in blinky mode depending on weight savings." so it sounded like you were in the Market.

Yeah Paul operates Motiv up stair's above Trackside so a lot of people who race or hang around there show him a lot of support and vice versa, Motiv is a great motor company and How the parts are selected and the quality control Spec & check sheet you get is better Than what Most company's offer I put His motor's in the top 10, But some company's are now taking more control, quality of material's Like metal's used is going up Orion's using Magnesium, Steel is being imported from japan, Less steel is being used in Motor's where its not needed like screws, it wont be long before we have a carbon fiber/aluminum encased motor, its these company's that are going to put these cancer like sticker factory's out of buisness, you'ed be surprised at how many of these company's are actually sticker factory's the parts come in from china and the sticker goes on...

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 08-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #13630
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipBGreen View Post
I'm not sure if its considerably Lighter just Lighter But many do say Its the greatest Bargin in R/c @ 51$, but by all means if you already got it use it, sounds like you have all the answer's to your ?s and that's all I was trying to Do, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was pushing brands on you, the current ratio is the same I guess there's a secondary ratio reduction that uses a 76t spur so I'd imagine the pinion stays the same.
51 bucks!? I've read great things about HW but now I'm really interested. And I do appreciate the input. Thanks!
The 3 gear laydown has a great big idle gear. It's got to be a totally different ratio. Seems like it would be way smaller pinion on a small spur for stock class.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #13631
Tech Regular

Quote:
51 bucks!? I've read great things about HW but now I'm really interested. And I do appreciate the input. Thanks!
The 3 gear laydown has a great big idle gear. It's got to be a totally different ratio. Seems like it would be way smaller pinion on a small spur for stock class.
yeah that's a Deal aint it, you wont believe the Quality you Get, the cooling tech inside is neat to and the xr10 case is so nice, The Guy's at track side sold me mine the one guy said he even set some record lap time's on the track with one, I was Really afraid of them at first my self, I didnt think it had enough power, and I could not believe you got all that for 51$ until many people on here Gave me the confidence I needed, !!! ill do some research for you on the transmission thing, and thanks I try to be a help when I can

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 08-27-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #13632
Tech Regular

So the bigger idle gear in a laydown 3 doesn't change the internal ratio at all. It's the same. In a 3 gear configuration only the outside gears change the ratio. I'm guessing the weight difference would be very little since they're plastic.
I think I'll go with the laydown so I can move the rear shocks around.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #13633
Tech Regular

Quote:
So the bigger idle gear in a laydown 3 doesn't change the internal ratio at all. It's the same. In a 3 gear configuration only the outside gears change the ratio. I'm guessing the weight difference would be very little since they're plastic.
I think I'll go with the laydown so I can move the rear shocks around.
that's pretty much what I got , I've never ran on carpet but judging by the tires it appear's they almost anchor in like velcro, so a lay down seems like it would really make a measurable difference, on dirt even High traction I think it still would be better but not by as much it would still be competitive with MM I really like that Rz-6, I think a lay down just makes sense period Lower center of gravity makes sense for any race car or truck Id run it
Old 08-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #13634
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
So I picked up a lightweight 6 chassis (thanks bdemegs!) and I'm beginning a 17.5 build.
Glad it made it to you. Good luck with the build. BTW for comparison my 6.6 chassis car with pucks, and laydown trans came in at 1490 tonight. And that was with a 200+g battery.
bdemegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:04 AM   #13635
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemegs View Post
Glad it made it to you. Good luck with the build. BTW for comparison my 6.6 chassis car with pucks, and laydown trans came in at 1490 tonight. And that was with a 200+g battery.
Dang! Lets have a pic of that unit!