Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Buggy Short Course Conversions = ROAR legal??? >

Buggy Short Course Conversions = ROAR legal???

Buggy Short Course Conversions = ROAR legal???

Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Buggy Short Course Conversions = ROAR legal???

Hey I am a truggy and buggy racer, looking into getting into short course too since it's so popular. I was looking at some pics and saw some buggys converted to short course trucks. I have a buggy and thinking about converting it but I didn't know if they were ROAR legal. Can you actually race them in sanctioned events, and if so are they actually faster/more durable than regular short course trucks.Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Big_B View Post
Hey I am a truggy and buggy racer, looking into getting into short course too since it's so popular. I was looking at some pics and saw some buggys converted to short course trucks. I have a buggy and thinking about converting it but I didn't know if they were ROAR legal. Can you actually race them in sanctioned events, and if so are they actually faster/more durable than regular short course trucks.Thanks in advance.
To the best of my knowledge they are not. Otherwise you wouldn't be seeing all these 4wd sc trucks with their own specific chassis when these companies could just offer their 1/8 scale buggy w/ an SC truck body, wheels and bumpers and call it good.

Although, I think quite a few non-ROAR affiliated tracks allow them.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

My 8ight is very close to the same dimensions and wheelbase of my shash 4x4. However after really digging around and looking at conversions I picked up an SCTE instead.

There were alot of questions about legality, weight, width etc etc and while it would be convenient to have 1 and just swap parts it wasnt practical.

That said there's at least 1 local guy I know that converted his SC8 to a SC10 and its great! He keeps pretty quiet about it but I know he had to swap chassis (needed the shorter buggy one) and some other misc parts but it became a pretty much straight swap with off the shelf parts. He just club races it so no answer on ROAR legality.

Bottom line is it depends on what you have to start with. May or may not be economically worth it in the end.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

In the Mugen SC 4x4 thread (Mbx6 converted to short course):

"Guys I had a long conversation with the team manager yesterday about getting this truck roar approved for SUPERNATIONALS. He called the ROAR president for some info and the outcome is if your truck meets the specs for that 4wd SC class it is legal at any roar race. "

I can't imagine the truck being illegal if it meets the weight and dimensions. most of the buggy conversions are a little too wide but some have been able to get them narrowed up to meet ROAR specs. The Losi is just and 8th scale RTR 810 with a longer chassis. Everything else is exactly the same.

Initially when people started converting buggies they were using 8th scale buggy rims which gives an advantage hence some races saying no conversions (the rule was about the wheels, not the car), but now you can by SC wheels meant for 17mm hexes that are exactly the same as the traditional 1/10 SC wheels so that is no longer an issue.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

No.

4x4 SCT is limited to 2cell and smallish 1/10th scale motors. The idea was to keep these things slower, cheaper, and more newbie freindly than 1/8th scale buggy. Allowing 1/8th scale buggies in totally defeats the point of the class.

It worked for a while, but now high horsepower and sticky tires have really elevated the speeds in this class.

I think that as the speeds continue to increase, and the more and more non-scale looking bodies is starting to make the class a failure. The things that made SCT fun are starting to disappear.

Maybe a slower spec tire like the 4x4 Slash RTR tire will slow the class back down again and even the field out for the newbs and intermediate drivers a little.

If your allready running buggy, just keep running buggy. Deosn't they idea of winning with a far, far superior buggy conversion kinda weaken the thrill of racing for you?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 167 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
No.

4x4 SCT is limited to 2cell and smallish 1/10th scale motors. The idea was to keep these things slower, cheaper, and more newbie freindly than 1/8th scale buggy. Allowing 1/8th scale buggies in totally defeats the point of the class.

It worked for a while, but now high horsepower and sticky tires have really elevated the speeds in this class.

I think that as the speeds continue to increase, and the more and more non-scale looking bodies is starting to make the class a failure. The things that made SCT fun are starting to disappear.

Maybe a slower spec tire like the 4x4 Slash RTR tire will slow the class back down again and even the field out for the newbs and intermediate drivers a little.

If your allready running buggy, just keep running buggy. Deosn't they idea of winning with a far, far superior buggy conversion kinda weaken the thrill of racing for you?
Apparently not, for all the people that are running the Ten-SCTE.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No.

4wd SC has basically become the 1/10 truggy class imho. if anything, 4wd SC is replacing 2wd stadium truck. I don't think the class will die. It is just an evolution of the current classes - 4wd buggy and 2 stadium truck being merged so to speak. A faster, easier to drive class.

It really doesn't bother me if people want to run buggy conversions. Until the manufactuers come out with better quality kits for the class suited to the power plants and the larger tracks, people will seek out to improve the cars. Right now, the current crop of cars sucks. Losi won't even put their TLR stamp on it. The associated, while innovated is over designed. The durango fragile.

I converted a rc8.2 to a SC because I was putting too much money into my SC. I spent more on both the Losi and the AE SC10 than I did any of my 8th scales trying to get them up to snuff.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No.

Well, since the SCTE basically IS an 1/8th scale buggy converted to an SCT, your arguement is weak. Especially once people bolt on 8ight BB shocks. Also, IF (someday, in the distant future, lol) the XSCT is ever released, it will really render this arguement moot, as it IS an SCT built from an Xray 1/8th scale buggy. As long as a truck meets the ROAR dimension specs, runs a 2S lipo, and a 4 pole 540 motor or 550 2 pole motor, and SCT wheels/tires/body, it should be legal.

The limitations of ROAR certainly hasn't stopped ppl from running 4 pole 550 motors, which should be a bigger deal than running a more durable platform.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think if it fits in the box, runs a 540 4 pole or 550 2 pole motor, runs on a 2s lipo, has a 1/10 SC body and runs 2.2/3.0 tires, I think it should be legal.

Whats the differance between a ten-scte and a mugen mbx6-sct eco?

one has a box
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunky1 View Post
I think if it fits in the box, runs a 540 4 pole or 550 2 pole motor, runs on a 2s lipo, has a 1/10 SC body and runs 2.2/3.0 tires, I think it should be legal.

Whats the differance between a ten-scte and a mugen mbx6-sct eco?

one has a box
Pretty much!
Mugen has 15mm shocks
Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
In the Mugen SC 4x4 thread (Mbx6 converted to short course):

"Guys I had a long conversation with the team manager yesterday about getting this truck roar approved for SUPERNATIONALS. He called the ROAR president for some info and the outcome is if your truck meets the specs for that 4wd SC class it is legal at any roar race. "

I can't imagine the truck being illegal if it meets the weight and dimensions. most of the buggy conversions are a little too wide but some have been able to get them narrowed up to meet ROAR specs. The Losi is just and 8th scale RTR 810 with a longer chassis. Everything else is exactly the same.

Initially when people started converting buggies they were using 8th scale buggy rims which gives an advantage hence some races saying no conversions (the rule was about the wheels, not the car), but now you can by SC wheels meant for 17mm hexes that are exactly the same as the traditional 1/10 SC wheels so that is no longer an issue.

Correct, directly from roar...
If your truck meets the specs for that 4wd SC class it is legal at any roar race.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Why don't ya'll just run 1/8th scale buggy instead.

For anyone new to this hobby: Watch closely. This is how 4x4 buggy died. This is how the realistic entry level onroad touring car died.

Right now we are once again watching a perfectly good and fun race class evolve and get faster. And continue to evolve until only real hardcore racers can compete in it.

It will hit critical mass then collapse as quickly as it was formed. It won't die because of lack of racers, it'll die because it won't be enjoyable anymore.

It's allready as fast as 1/8th E buggy. The tight closely competitive door bashing style racing that was fun has allready faded into the exact same racing available in the 1/8th buggy class. The trucks spread out and run their own race just like the faster buggies now. 4x4 SCT is allready losing it's SCT identity.

Go ahead, make them faster. Put in 1/8th scale electronics. Enjoy your pointless wins over the newbs. You'll be bored soon. You read it here 1st. Remember my prophecy. When it comes true you'll have no choice but to see Zerodefect as the Ayatolla of radio controlla. (And send me sponsor moneys and your girlfriends phone #'s)

I've allready lived through the countless deaths of fun loving classes that get turned into another racers class. So don't say it won't happen. The sad thing is, those hardcore racers classes allready exist in 1/8th scale. By the time the SCT guys realize that they're turning a fun loving RTR class into something that allready exists, it'll be too late, and that fun class will be gone forever.

Don't you see. SCT was never about real racing. It was never about high maintenance and proper motor tuning. It was supposed to be fun, fair, close racing.

Ya'll be crying: "Zerodefect, the Godfather of RC racing tried to warn us! But we did not listen. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Why did SCt have to die"

What has been, is what will be. What has been done, is what will be done.
Nothing is new under the sun.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 07-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In my case, my local track only allows two cell with 1/10 electronics so it would not be a fire breathing monster on the track. But I will be converting my mugen to SCT soon for the durability, handling and I miss driving my mugen. I'm not throwing a ton of money at it to drop weight so it will be a bit of a handicap in the power to weight department. But I think the lower COG and suspension performance will compensate for that

I think that the progression of speed in a class that your talking about is kind of the nature of the beast. I like most am always trying to improve my vehicles performance along with my own driving skills. Unfortunately speed costs money

I do like the time capsule you left for future rc'ers and you'll probably be correct.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 167 (100%+)

Why don't ya'll just run 1/8th scale buggy instead.

For anyone new to this hobby: Watch closely. This is how 4x4 buggy died. This is how the realistic entry level onroad touring car died.

Right now we are once again watching a perfectly good and fun race class evolve and get faster. And continue to evolve until only real hardcore racers can compete in it.

It will hit critical mass then collapse as quickly as it was formed. It won't die because of lack of racers, it'll die because it won't be enjoyable anymore.

It's allready as fast as 1/8th E buggy. The tight closely competitive door bashing style racing that was fun has allready faded into the exact same racing available in the 1/8th buggy class. The trucks spread out and run their own race just like the faster buggies now. 4x4 SCT is allready losing it's SCT identity.

Go ahead, make them faster. Put in 1/8th scale electronics. Enjoy your pointless wins over the newbs. You'll be bored soon. You read it here 1st. Remember my prophecy. When it comes true you'll have no choice but to see Zerodefect as the Ayatolla of radio controlla. (And send me sponsor moneys and your girlfriends phone #'s)

I've allready lived through the countless deaths of fun loving classes that get turned into another racers class. So don't say it won't happen. The sad thing is, those hardcore racers classes allready exist in 1/8th scale. By the time the SCT guys realize that they're turning a fun loving RTR class into something that allready exists, it'll be too late, and that fun class will be gone forever.

Don't you see. SCT was never about real racing. It was never about high maintenance and proper motor tuning. It was supposed to be fun, fair, close racing.

Ya'll be crying: "Zerodefect, the Godfather of RC racing tried to warn us! But we did not listen. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Why did SCt have to die"

What has been, is what will be. What has been done, is what will be done.
Nothing is new under the sun.
The ONLY WAY manufacturers and racers will not try to make cars in a given class faster and faster if it is run as a breakout race (where any laps faster than a certain time don't count). It is the nature of racing. That is the essence and definition of "racing."
Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 291 (100%+)

Honestly, Slash Spec 2wd SCT is what you really are referring too. once that went away ( and it did as soon as guys started cranking the cans using the old school techniques to get more power out of them, Traxxas should have went VXL out of the box right away ...), the dream was over. Sorry bro, just the way it is.

And short of hand out cars swapped each round, mod is probably as fair a race as you will get.

But I understand your feelings!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.