Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Buggy Short Course Conversions = ROAR legal??? >

Buggy Short Course Conversions = ROAR legal???

Buggy Short Course Conversions = ROAR legal???

Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 4wd SC class is an "open" class or mod class. If it fits, it runs. The motor and battery rules were set to keep the trucks from near nuclear powered speeds. They're already nearly as fast as a 1/8 buggy on the same tracks. Ryan Lutz regularly comes within a second of his 1/8 buggy lap times with his Tekin powered Team Durango.

Most of the current trucks were based off their 1/8 counter parts in some way.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thought I would resurrect this discussion from a half year ago now that the Krio Rapture and Tekno arrive at your door in a box

Thought it would be entertaining to see how this ended up progressing.

Last edited by fq06; 01-26-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I remember this thread! And my opinion is still the same. If it fits specs for that class, it should be legal for that class.

If people like ZD want to cry about racers turning a racing class into a competition then let them. If they don't want to compete with the hard core racers then start a novice class, kick out the good drivers and man up to the fact you're not as good as them. Don't start a new class to get away from them then ***** when they start racing it.

Race to compete or race to have fun. If you don't want to do either, then don't race. Its quite simple.

Also, a year later and 4x4 sct is still going strong! I guess the new faster chassis haven't killed it.

Last edited by badaml; 12-08-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just got back into racing after 10 years and chose to get into SCT4x4. When I started researching which car to buy I wasn't very impressed. Many of the current 4x4 offerings are money pits. Some are just too fragile. Some take a ton of aftermarket parts to make them race worthy. Some will be a pain no matter what you do. I ended up buying an Xray 808 converted to an SCT.

I didn't buy it because I thought it would give me great advantage when I start racing. I bought it because I knew an XRAY could stand up to a hell of a beating and not break much, if anything. When I quit racing I was running nitro touring car and nitro dirt oval so I not only had to re-learn how to drive I had to learn how to drive an offroad car from scratch.

After a few trips to the local track I feel my choice was a good one. I've done some pretty spectacular cart wheels over the bigger jumps and smacked head on into more immoveable objects than I care to admit. I still haven't broken a thing but my pride. If I'd done the same thing with some of the other SCT 4x4s on the market the hobby shop would have opened a new wing and named it in my honor by now.

My truck meets all the ROAR requirements for dimensions. It runs a 540 four pole 4000kv motor on 2s and has plenty of power. I just don't see why this car should not be ROAR legal. In fact the previous owner ran this car in a ROAR regional race and won with it.

I don't think conversions or kits using 1/8 scale components damage Short Course racing at all. Keep in mind that conversions normally only effect the 4X4 part of the class. Since 95% of beginners run 2WD they aren't in any danger of loosing their low cost fender rubbing class.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a converted mugen mbx6e to sct standards running on a 2s and 4600 motor and have not broken 1 part on it in 1 year of racing week in week out. It is quick too laping large outdoor track .6 sec slower than my new tekno eb48. So yes they have gotten quick but like as mentioned the current crop of 1/10 sct are weak and need a heap of upgrades o make them not break every time you us them. I have now just purchased a tekno sct as it runs 1/8 driveline and shocks and hope to run it with the same reliability of the mugen and it will be roar approved a it is a factory kit.