Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What's wrong with my wife? She doesn't want a Tamiya Lunchbox >

What's wrong with my wife? She doesn't want a Tamiya Lunchbox

What's wrong with my wife? She doesn't want a Tamiya Lunchbox

Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What's wrong with my wife? She doesn't want a Tamiya Lunchbox

Seriously, she doesn't want a Lunchbox. Don't bring it up...

Joking aside, is there a Sedan-ish car kit (bits & pieces, screws & glue) that can handle light off-roading?

You know, all the usual impossible requirements: easy, cheap, and durable. I don't really care about cheap, I just want my wife (who'd honestly rather have an enormous diamond) to love it.

...so, Rally Car? Or should I just get an SC10 Kit and throw a luxury sedan body on it? I'm open to suggestions on the car or how to fix my wife. If I can pull this off, maybe I could get her to value RCs over jewels. Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Try maybe getting her a Blitzer Beetle. Its off road capable and maybe she will like the beetle body. Beats the lunch box.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Traxxas rally, fast and durable. Rpm hubs are the only needed upgrade. Throw some rally tires on it and have fun. I've got two of them one is a custom carpet racer, the other is the only "fun" car I have. I take it to the skate park and let it fly.

I missed the kit part. Sorry
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

My wife has Rally vxl and loves it. It does some light offroading. I wish she would have picked up a slash 4x4 though, then she could take it everywhere. The rally is very durable. We run ours at the skate park and it holds up quite well...
Old 07-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

ts not out yet but the tamiya xv-01 would fit all of your criteria, I'm itching to get one.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

How about the Duratrax VW Baja Bug? Too off roady?

http://www.duratrax.com/vehicles/ele...bug/index.html
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The Tamiya XV-01 does look nice. But since it's not available yet, how about a DF-03RA?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I saw your wife had posted something on another forum. She was asking for advice about what kind of gemstone to get you so you would realize how beautiful a nice piece of jewelry is, and how great it makes you feel when you wear it, etc.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are most likely looking at an uphill battle that cannot be won. IMHO, get her a pair of diamond stud earrings, try to keep the R/C budget reasonable, and possibly look into some other shared activity.

I have seen the wife's (not mine, but others') attempt to play along with the boys (I have never even suggested my wife pick up a Tx), and unfortunately, it RARELY lasts. With that in mind, if you do buy something for her, make sure the resale value is acceptable.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions. The kit part is very important. Build together, bond together.

The body is pretty interchangeable, so the chassis is really what's important. I'm not sure about the Blitzer beetle. It seems at that price, it would be cheap and fragile. Anyone have experience with it?

I like the XV-01, but it doesn't seem worth the $463 MSRP! We'll see what the actual street price is after release.

The DF-03RA looks very promising. I'm assuming Tamiya kits are compatible with standard 1/10 bodies, right? Til now, I was thinking of putting a sedan body on an scx10 with the smallest truck tires I can find. That would look just crazy

lol @ drolmaeye. Her idea, not mine. And she'll probably end up with diamonds anyway
Old 07-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DogSpoon
Seriously, she doesn't want a Lunchbox. Don't bring it up...

Joking aside, is there a Sedan-ish car kit (bits & pieces, screws & glue) that can handle light off-roading?

You know, all the usual impossible requirements: easy, cheap, and durable. I don't really care about cheap, I just want my wife (who'd honestly rather have an enormous diamond) to love it.

...so, Rally Car? Or should I just get an SC10 Kit and throw a luxury sedan body on it? I'm open to suggestions on the car or how to fix my wife. If I can pull this off, maybe I could get her to value RCs over jewels. Thanks
just buy her a ring or some thing she would like she would appreciate it more. You cant force something she would not enjoy.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks for all the suggestions. The kit part is very important. Build together, bond together.

The body is pretty interchangeable, so the chassis is really what's important. I'm not sure about the Blitzer beetle. It seems at that price, it would be cheap and fragile. Anyone have experience with it?

I like the XV-01, but it doesn't seem worth the $463 MSRP! We'll see what the actual street price is after release.

The DF-03RA looks very promising. I'm assuming Tamiya kits are compatible with standard 1/10 bodies, right? Til now, I was thinking of putting a sedan body on an scx10 with the smallest truck tires I can find. That would look just crazy
I have a Stadium Thunder (same chassis as the Blitzer Beetle), and although it's a lot of fun, parts support might be a tad frustrating (not sure). Since it's a re-release of an older design...well, the design is...old. So it won't be engineered as well as a modern kit. Bump steer, rear shocks mount in an odd way, stuff like that.

It might be wiser just to stick to the DF-03RA (plus, it's 4WD).

Current bodies for the chassis include Evo V, Lancia Delta Integrale, Datsun 240Z, Evo X, Imprezas.

I'm not sure how compatible it is with other bodies (say, 1/10 TC bodies from HPI or even Tamiya), I really have no idea. Would have to check wheelbase, etc.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

lol @ drolmaeye. Her idea, not mine. And she'll probably end up with diamonds anyway
Well, this changes EVERYTHING! Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with enough different types of kits to make a meaningful suggestion, but best of luck and I hope she really enjoys it (or at least, enjoys the time spent together).

Edit: Just noticed you mentioned the SC10 in your original post. From my own experience, it would be a great kit as it is not overly complicated to assemble, it's easy to work on, but if she ends up not wanting to wrench a lot on it she can probably get a lot out of it with minimal maintenance. Probably the one missing element is it might not make the best sedan-type of chassis.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by drolmaeye
Edit: Just noticed you mentioned the SC10 in your original post. From my own experience, it would be a great kit as it is not overly complicated to assemble, it's easy to work on, but if she ends up not wanting to wrench a lot on it she can probably get a lot out of it with minimal maintenance. Probably the one missing element is it might not make the best sedan-type of chassis.
yep, I was just noticing how incredibly wide they are. 293mm!! With sedan bodies at 200mm, it just won't work. The scx10, however is only 216mm wide. I'm not going that route for her, but I like the idea of some kind of rock-crawling franken-s'dan.