R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71
Default Control Tire???

Check this out and tell me what you think. Whatever happened to all that tire innovation from the 1990s and early 2000s?

http://www.team-orion.ch/global/global_news.asp?id=2782
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

exactly, now look how often new 1/10 scale off-road tires are released. ROAR and IFMAR stagnated tire technology with their "control tire" rules.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My only real gripe with this is that these are the best racers in the world and im sure they will all end up using the same tires anyways. Just let them run what they want and let the "non factory" classes run a control tire.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Plus we're talking about the World's. It's not like any unsponsored club racers are going to be there.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Welcome to the world of tc racing.. ..dont forget "their saving YOU money"..well thats what us TC racers get told all the time..Imho it's a good thing at the worlds and other large races because alot of tire companys release a tire right before the race that they know will work at the track that the worlds are being held at.They release the tire in very small amounts,they bring alot of "the" tires to the race and if your not running the right tire your a few ticks off the pace..it has happended in the past..
Old 02-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

ultimately, the local guys at the local tracks basically go towards a control tire since they all buy what works. What makes it all interesting is that some vehicles respond differently to the same tires. I have been reading reports where guys trying to hook up there B4s at predominately BK2 running tracks when running the tires the BK guys are running can't get them to hook up.

Just imagine how bad it would be in that situation if the control tire only works well for the Bk2 guys?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nikos2002

Even with control tires the "big" boys spend tons of money on tires. At the 2004 Worlds in Tampa, there were stacks of Holeshots everywhere as the team drivers were going crazy mounting holeshots to practice with. Now when it came to race time- we all had to mount our "official tires" in front of race officials and them turn them in to the officials ever night. Every tire was marked to identify it to it's driver and let's not forget Travis A. was DQ'd one round of qualifying for putting a set of tires on his are that were not marked.
On the other hand for someone like we without big money behind me- I knew what tires to bring to the race and that was all I needed. In the old days I used to bring an entire AE bag (all three boxes) with just tires- hoping I would have the right kind and like was stated before, most of the time the tire mfg. would come out with something new you had to buy at the race. I remember one year at the old Winterchamps Losi had a new tire and they had so few, that they were taking them off of cars and putting them on another for the next heat so another driver could use them.
nikos2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
Tech Regular

think of it like this,

its an international race, that means that proberbly 80% or more drivers travel to the track means to get on a plane.

so if we want to win the event we are going to be looking at a set of tires a run, whatever the tire choice needs to be.

2003 worlds in florida that was 10 practice runs on day 1, maybe 6 or so on day2, and then 2 qual's and 4 A-mains on day3, and then all this again.
thats potentially 24 pairs of rear tires and 24 pairs of fronts for 1 event, 96 pairs of fornt and rear if we are doing 2 and 4 wheel drive (most do)

so thats 96 pairs of tires we are going to try and get on a plane...

oh, hold on... thats only if we KNOW the right tires to use...

it could be 1 of maybe 6 pairs of rears, the same for the front (ribs and 4WD fronts)
now we need to make sure we take enough of each tire for a set a run, just in case it does become those tires...

6 x 96 = 576 pairs of tires

oh crap... wheels at least thats not too bad, you would rarely use more than 1 pair of wheels in a race so thats only 96 pairs I need to take.

should be OK to fit that all in for my baggage allowance....

oh crap.... what about the rest of my RC gear???

PS - I did the Euro's on the worlds track (surface, the layout has to change) and the Losi tires worked, havent tried the prolines as we were on control tire for the rear wheels)
Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #9
Tech Addict

crazy amount of tyres ! what sort of condition would those be in after 1 run then ?
fine for most people, but just lost that "edge" ??

im off to the euros later this year and will be taking 2 entire full sets of yellow minispikes which i shall run rain or shine !!

oople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Chris, The holeshot worked very well as a 4wd front, so i would guess it will be ok as a rear.

At that track in Italy, x-2000's were so much better on their first run. you could run them 2nd run, they weren't too bad, but you weren't going to go that quick as you simply lost forward traction.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by oople

crazy amount of tyres ! what sort of condition would those be in after 1 run then ?
fine for most people, but just lost that "edge" ??

im off to the euros later this year and will be taking 2 entire full sets of yellow minispikes which i shall run rain or shine !!

at least with the schumacher tires they are a bit harder and will proberbly last a good while longer than losi/prolines do.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Why doesn't IFMAR just stop beating around the bush, and just force them all to use the same car, same batteries, same electronics, same suspension set-up, etc.? Turn it into an IROC race. That's what they are working towards, and if they aren't working towards that, then their actions upon tires are illogical.

Why regulate some of their choices, but not all? Barring ofcourse the obvious ones, type of car and motor. They are trying to overcomplicate everything, just like NASCAR is doing with super-speedways. They are a bunch of bureaucrats.

I thought the point of a race was to prove who is the best, which includes being best at driving, and best at choosing what to use to win. When did a race purely become about driving skill alone?

I think a good part of the fun of racing is trying different set-ups and tires and gearing and stuff. If someone made all those decisions for me, where's the challenge? Pulling the trigger and turning the wheel?
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by HVAC25000
Why doesn't IFMAR just stop beating around the bush, and just force them all to use the same car, same batteries, same electronics, same suspension set-up, etc.? Turn it into an IROC race. That's what they are working towards, and if they aren't working towards that, then their actions upon tires are illogical.

Why regulate some of their choices, but not all? Barring ofcourse the obvious ones, type of car and motor. They are trying to overcomplicate everything, just like NASCAR is doing with super-speedways. They are a bunch of bureaucrats.

I thought the point of a race was to prove who is the best, which includes being best at driving, and best at choosing what to use to win. When did a race purely become about driving skill alone?

I think a good part of the fun of racing is trying different set-ups and tires and gearing and stuff. If someone made all those decisions for me, where's the challenge? Pulling the trigger and turning the wheel?
so we get a worlds A final full of a bunch of local guys because they were able to bring the biggest selection of tires to use???
what a great way to decide a world champion

other 'tuneable' things on your car don;t take up much room in your bagage, tires on the other hand are a massive headache to ship/take/buy.

if you have not got the right tires you may as well wire your motor in backwards and run the car in reverse.

this ruling at least allows EVERY driver to know what rubber to put on, everything else is still free choice within the rules.

I don't see what skill is involved in being able to drive a big van full of tires god knows how many miles to be able to take every possible tire so you can find an awesome tire that no one else has that is worth 1 sec a lap on everyone else.

ever heard of balistic buggy tires? (not many outside europe would have) if these are the tires to use and only euro drivers have them is that fair?
Old 02-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

This is the begining statement in the IROC rules:

"The International Race of Champions is a series of four races designed to produce a winner determined solely on driver skill. As far as humanly possible, the many mechanical variables normally associated with the sport of auto racing have been eliminated. Drivers are not allowed to make changes or adjustments to the suspension, handling or any other parts of the IROC race cars, except for pedal and steering wheel adjustments, seat position and safety belts. A specially fitted seat is provided for each driver and that seat moves from car to car with him."

Seems like they know what fair is to me... In R/C racing, pedal adjustment and seating would translate to the driver can use his own transmitter, but other than that, everything is equal.
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If your going to go as far as a control tire why not also limit them to the amount.Like the Reedy TC races.I think that would be interesting..