Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Choosing a Motor for Dummies? >

Choosing a Motor for Dummies?

Choosing a Motor for Dummies?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Choosing a Motor for Dummies?

Can anyone recommend a good place to get some basic knowledge about how to pick a motor, batteries, ESC, gearing, etc?

I am finding information but not the fundamental understanding. Does that make sense?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What are you trying to power?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Let's see. If you wanna get into brushless. If you just wanna bash then any motor will due. But for racing make sure your track allows the motor you get. Now what the numbers mean a 5 turn motor is faster then a 10 turn motor. Also KV is the RPM that the motor turns with the more the number the faster the motor is so let's say a stock 17.5T motor with 1900KV is slower then a 10T 3930KV motor. As for ESC the more amp the better let's say an 80A ESC is better then a 60A ESC since it has higher rating. I hope this helps a little. Battery should be LiPo.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by EyeintheSky57 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good place to get some basic knowledge about how to pick a motor, batteries, ESC, gearing, etc?

I am finding information but not the fundamental understanding. Does that make sense?

Thanks.
I will base my answers off if you are going to race with what ever you get

best and most important along with the 1st thing you should do is go to your local track and see what people are running and what class you want to run.
See what your track classifies as a Stock or Spec class by the motor., Our's is 13.5 others I see are 17.5

If you want to race a mod class the to get motor is 8.5 to a 10.5 truck or buggy

ESC comes down to what you want to run and what you want to spend. I have ran Castle, Viper-RC, Novak and LRP. I would pick LRP than the Novak over the others.. that is just me though
I like to stick with the same brand motor I have SPeed control. LRP - Reedy

Battery. 99% of the tracks for a 1/10th scale are going to only allowed 2s )2cell) Lipo batteries.

This is all based on a 1/10th 2wd buggy/truck. IF you want to get into 4x4 you can basically run whatever motor you want... well here you can. most run a 4.5 550 can 2wd run a 540 can n(Can= size of the actual motor)

Hope some of that helps. The info is on here, its just everywhere and somewhat hard to find.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My main advice if you plan on racing is to get a sensored motor and esc. It will be easier to learn to drive with and save money in the long run because you won't need to upgrade later.