Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Pro-Line Performance Transmission >

Pro-Line Performance Transmission

Pro-Line Performance Transmission

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Pro-Line Performance Transmission

Just picked up a Pro-Line Performance Transmission and it runs really smooth, with a very different sound from stock Traxxas. I don' race, but it only lasted 10 minutes setup for bashing with a Castle SCT powerplant. I guess I had the slipper to tight, but it wrecked the idler gear. Replaced that with the stock Traxxas steel idler and am hoping for better results. It is a nice setup and bolts up well, but am concerned about durability with all the plastic in it... Anyone else running one?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamjoh01
Just picked up a Pro-Line Performance Transmission and it runs really smooth, with a very different sound from stock Traxxas. I don' race, but it only lasted 10 minutes setup for bashing with a Castle SCT powerplant. I guess I had the slipper to tight, but it wrecked the idler gear. Replaced that with the stock Traxxas steel idler and am hoping for better results. It is a nice setup and bolts up well, but am concerned about durability with all the plastic in it... Anyone else running one?
My bad, have you tried calling pro-line?

Last edited by thecman26; 07-03-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

This is a more specific thread topic though. He's not talking about the slash, he's asking others opinions on a specific, and fairly new, part of the slash, also posting his results and worries.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Devigili22
This is a more specific thread topic though. He's not talking about the slash, he's asking others opinions on a specific, and fairly new, part of the slash, also posting his results and worries.
Ok, since this is a complaint about the proline part, posting this on a proline thread would be a lil more appropriate... But there doesn't seem to be a fitting proline complaint thread so lets have at it...

FYI: IDK what they make those things out of but $115 seems a bit much for a transmission...

Last edited by thecman26; 07-03-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
Well; not really but if you think so...
Well really, because it is right there in the title. It's not titled "Slash", it's titled "Pro-Line Performance Transmission" of which there is no thread for. Not to be rude, but you do the same thing in many new members threads. It would be great if you could add something constructive, and then put "Next time check these threads out...".
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Devigili22
Well really, because it is right there in the title. It's not titled "Slash", it's titled "Pro-Line Performance Transmission" of which there is no thread for. Not to be rude, but you do the same thing in many new members threads. It would be great if you could add something constructive, and then put "Next time check these threads out...".
Thats great... IDK why site has moderators and rules...
People think they can do whatever they want, those things on the top don't mean anything... That's for the "other people"

FYI: the forum guidelines apply to new members also... Not JUST us who pay to be members of this site...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Odds are you had the slipper to tight there will for sure strip out a idler gear with a system with a lot of power.

Call up Proline.

Im taking a look at that transmission although the price tag is iffy to me !
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Odds are you had the slipper to tight there will for sure strip out a idler gear with a system with a lot of power.

Call up Proline.

Im taking a look at that transmission although the price tag is iffy to me !
+1, a call can do wonders sometimes....

Thats what I thought... $115 for a tranny on a truck that is $220!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What people sometimes seem to forget is that this transmission fits any Traxxas vehicle with the Magnum 272 in it. I was looking at one for my daughter's Rustler solely for the diff, until I sealed the stock one.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
My bad, have you tried calling pro-line?
Proline is closed this week.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IMO this tranny isn't meant for this purpose. Proline makes products for racers.

This tranny is designed to improve the efficiency of the stock tranny, not make it stronger. It's not marketed as a basher product for a reason...IMO
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Tech Addict

That the only failing point in this transmission and the stock. The idler is always the weakest link in the Traxxas. You should be fine now since you upgraded to the steel idler.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

$115 ....wow. I actually considered one of these before release but now IDK.
I'd really like a ball diff for my Trusty Rusty but I can't find 'em anymore. I remember years ago MIP had one but I think they quit making them.
Jeckler how did you go about sealing the stock diff? I tryed it once but I couldn't see a way to get the outdrives to seal good enough for fluid.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

This isn't the tutorial I used, but the process is the same...
http://www.competitionx.com/new-to-r...-differential/

I used 5mm o-rings from Napa, and some Blue RTV. The shims are from Traxxas and are the ones used to shim the idler gear or the wheels. TRA1985 is the part number.
It does leak a little bit, enough to coat the inside of the transmission, but I haven't noticed much loss of diff action. I filled it with 30k.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

I picked it up after reading the review at Big Squid RC (too new to post the link, sorry).

I have been looking for an option to replace the stock transmission (and diff) and this setup seemed like it would be a lasting solution. I am sure the new steel idler will be fine, but am concerned about the diff now, since it is plastic as well. Guess time will tell. For now it is running great and the different sound is pretty cool.

Also, for the record, I did search for an existing thread referencing or specifically for this product and did not find one, hence this new thread.

I have this on my stretched FLM Stampede.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.