Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Electric 8ight conversion help >

Electric 8ight conversion help

Electric 8ight conversion help

Old 07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Electric 8ight conversion help

Hi all.

I tried using the search function but I am honestly being a bit overwhelmed with what I am reading. I am hoping a new, direct thread might help me to digest what I need to.

I have been out of Nitro racing for a few years and I miss driving, but I never plan to race again.

So now I am sitting on two 8ight's - a truggy and a buggy (v1.0). Both started life as Race Rollers.

I was thinking about just selling them off and buying something ELECTRIC that I can tool around the yard but I do want to take it to the track from time to time on non-race days. Problem is, I like the 8ight's and I do not want to settle for something that 2 wheel drive, etc.

So now, I think I am going to convert them over to electric but I am soooo confused.

So far, I think I have decided on the LOSI conversion kits. The Tekno's are awesome but I don't need the chassis or balance so much. I would rather save the cash.

As for motor/ESC... this is where my confusion is coming in. I would much rather focus on runtime then speed.

Can anyone make a recommendation as for a motor/esc/battery combo for the best runtime?

I was going to get a couple batteries ans a 2-way charger. Can anyone recommend a good charger?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Adept

Hey mate, for run times i would recommend a xerun combo from hobbywing. they are great and the aren't very expensive. They run great and never miss a beat.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I run a Hobbywing 150A speedy and a Hobbyking 4 pole 1900kv motor in my 8T.

The hobbywing 150 has to be the best value 1/8 around. Very adjustable and compact enough to fit into all1/8 vehicles.

Link to motor - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17980 runs cool, efficient and just as good as other motors I've used and best of all its less than $40.

I get 18 minutes of run time racing against nitro truggies on a medium to large outdoor track using Turnigy 5000mah 40c 2x2s. This is running a 16 tooth pinion on a 45 spur - I may go back to a 15 to keep it the same speed as the nitros.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys.

I am going to pick up the Hobbywing combo-M6A. It has the 150A ESC and a 4274SD Sensored motor.

About sensored/sensorless, I seen videos of guy having trouble keeping the front tires down on the sensorless motors. My thinking is when sensored, there is more of a throttle rampup to help get traction. Is that correct?

Any recommendation on battery size/mah? Battery charger?

I am going to pick up one of those HobbyKing motors too. In RC, $40 is like free.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I run Hobbywing XERUN 4168SD KV2250 Sensored motor and 150A esc in my converted losi 8 buggy.
XERUN 4274SD KV2200 Sensored motor and 150A esc in my converted losi 8 truggy.
Both on 4S 5000 lipo, more power than i can use and about 22min run time.

I run hobbywing in all my cars 5 in total and never had a problem.
RCECHO has a large range of hobbywing and its cheap.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Tech Rookie

One more quick question...

Is a 2x2S the same as a 4S?
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EyeintheSky57 View Post
One more quick question...

Is a 2x2S the same as a 4S?
Yes. The difference is that with 2x2S you'll have to charge 2 batteries per run instead of 1x4S. So you might want a charger that can charge multiple batteries at the same time.

Also, 2x2S will be a bit larger in diameter together so make sure they can fit into the battery tray of whatever car you get.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:16 AM
Tech Regular

The losi conversion kit is really good so that is a good choice. I dont know if it fits on the 1.0 series, but i think it is likely.

Motor + esc: I will also recommend Hobbywing, the 80A version is all you need if you plan on running 4s batteries. As for sensored or nonsensored? If you go with a Hobbywing set, it doesnt really matter since the sensorless is so smooth that you cant really tell the difference. I drove this in a Losi truggy 2.0 all of last year without any issues at all.

Runtime is easy to adjust, you just buy bigger mAh batteries. I run 5000mAh 4s and that gets me around 15 min runtime on the track. Go with cheap batteries, you wont feel much difference and if you are not racing the extra dollars are just wasted.

Charger: This is the place to not save money! Look at hyperion, any of their chargers will be safe and last a long time. They have reasonably priced chargers as well as big amp, multi battery, expensive chargers.

Edit: this is a good starter hyperion charger. If you already have a 12v power supply you can save a bit of money and get the one without integrated psu.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W

Have fun

Last edited by kaan; 07-03-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EyeintheSky57 View Post
Hi all.

I tried using the search function but I am honestly being a bit overwhelmed with what I am reading. I am hoping a new, direct thread might help me to digest what I need to.

I have been out of Nitro racing for a few years and I miss driving, but I never plan to race again.

So now I am sitting on two 8ight's - a truggy and a buggy (v1.0). Both started life as Race Rollers.

I was thinking about just selling them off and buying something ELECTRIC that I can tool around the yard but I do want to take it to the track from time to time on non-race days. Problem is, I like the 8ight's and I do not want to settle for something that 2 wheel drive, etc.

So now, I think I am going to convert them over to electric but I am soooo confused.

So far, I think I have decided on the LOSI conversion kits. The Tekno's are awesome but I don't need the chassis or balance so much. I would rather save the cash.

As for motor/ESC... this is where my confusion is coming in. I would much rather focus on runtime then speed.

Can anyone make a recommendation as for a motor/esc/battery combo for the best runtime?

I was going to get a couple batteries ans a 2-way charger. Can anyone recommend a good charger?

Thanks a bunch.
The Losi conversion if fine. However, if you ever plan to race, the Tekno is better.

I normally recommend the Tekin 1900kv on 4S for the best combination of power and run time. The Teknin 1700kv is a decent choice if you want more run time at the expense of some power. The Castle MMM is a very reliable/durable ESC. For 4S lipos, I highly recommend Promatch. Good lipos for reasonable prices. Thunder Power is THE best brand, but they are expensive.

If you want a good dual charger, I recommend Hyperion EOS 720i. Like the above posters stated, you don't want to skimp on chargers.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-7S-20A-500W
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

I went ahead and made some initial orders.

I went with a Hyperion 720i NET3. I wanted something that could do most batteries and also could use AC power. Only negative is that it is only a single charger.

I ordered 3 Turnigy 5000mah 25c 4s batteries. A little leery about the 25c, it seems most everyone recommended higher c rating.

Also ordered the hobbywing m6a bundle. Depending on how this works, I'll either buy another, upgrade to a Tekin, or go down to the hobbyking motor.

Here was the crazy part... I was all decided on the LOSI conversion kit. Well, they are sold out everywhere. I decided just to go with the Tekno conversion kit so I could get started fast. But upon further research, to adapt the kit for the v1.0 buggy or truggy, you need to buy a bunch of extra stuff... drive shafts, shock towers, etc. So, I switch the order back to the LOSI kit but it wont ship for 2 weeks.

One last question...

With the body, do I really need to change to a 8ight-E body or can I cut vents into the old nitro body? I don't even think there is a truggy electric body available.