Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would update the shocks to 2.0 and probably the bell crank. The others are more of a nice to have as far as I'm concerned, and would depend on the track you run at and how often you hit things.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Santa brought my son his first good rc, a 22sct RTC, and yesterday was his first time on a track. He had fun, and he learned that it is a lot harder than it looks.
If any spindle manufacturers out there are looking for a destructive product tester, my son is available for hire. :-) He broke 3 spindles in the front. So glad I bought the spares kit or it would have been a very short day. All three broke basically in half, right at the bearing support. All in all, it was a really fun afternoon.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twinrider1
Santa brought my son his first good rc, a 22sct RTC, and yesterday was his first time on a track. He had fun, and he learned that it is a lot harder than it looks.
If any spindle manufacturers out there are looking for a destructive product tester, my son is available for hire. :-) He broke 3 spindles in the front. So glad I bought the spares kit or it would have been a very short day. All three broke basically in half, right at the bearing support. All in all, it was a really fun afternoon.
The solid pins will greatly increase the spindle durability. They now sell just the front with hinge pin. TLR234034.

When (not if) your steering slider develops a lot of slop you may want to consider the bell crank kit or the buggy 2.0 rack (cheaper but will still wear). Just keep in mind you will need the 2.0 caster blocks if you go to the bell cranks.

Depending on the surface you are running the gear diff that comes with the RTC will not perform as well as a ball diff. Just saying that most kids (mine included) don't have the best throttle smoothness and the gear diff can limit rear traction (spin out) on loose surfaces.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes the solid king pins that come with the TiCN hinge pin kit is one of the upgrades that should be done on the RTC truck along with the bell crank steering like E-Mann said.

Altho the ball diff is nice, I think with the sensored motor and adjusting the slipper properly, you can get your take-offs pretty smooth. Tires play the biggest role in getting around a track so that should be your next upgrade IMO.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bivens
It's a LOT of parts....so many things are better on the 2.0...and I can feel it when I drive both trucks back-2-back. Shocks, Suspension, Steering, shock towers....

At least the tranny is the about the same....
Do you hae the short list?
Old 01-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JourneyMan
Do you hae the short list?
It took me three separate orders to upgrade to 2.0. And I'm sure I ended up spending more. From experience it is easier and less expensive to just get the new kit. And I even upgraded from the full Frank Root version.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I'm in the same boat. Already dropped a bunch of cash in my truck to upgrade the 1.0 to all 2.0 parts as well as roots 2014 setup. This will be my third major overhaul of the truck.

For instance the 22sct bell crank system, I see that on my short list. Biven said he took the same upgrade route I am looking to take, I would like to know what all upgrades from the sct 2.0 that he performed. I will buy a new chassis before I buy the new kit.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

My chassis is coming in the third shipment!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E-Mann
The solid pins will greatly increase the spindle durability. They now sell just the front with hinge pin. TLR234034.
Only 2 (I think the king pins?) are threaded. How do the other 2 stay in?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Ok....I've seen this discussed before, but I wanted to confirm something. This past weekend, my first time out racing on a tight indoor carpet track, I broke 3 spindles on my otherwise stock 22sct. From what I see posted here, replacing the hinge/king pin screws w/full length pins (TLR234034) would (for the most part)!resolve this issue. Is this the recommended path forward, or should I upgrade to 2.0 parts at the same time? If so, what short list of part #'s would I need?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goathog02
Ok....I've seen this discussed before, but I wanted to confirm something. This past weekend, my first time out racing on a tight indoor carpet track, I broke 3 spindles on my otherwise stock 22sct. From what I see posted here, replacing the hinge/king pin screws w/full length pins (TLR234034) would (for the most part)!resolve this issue. Is this the recommended path forward, or should I upgrade to 2.0 parts at the same time? If so, what short list of part #'s would I need?
If you are looking to improve reliability and performance on the front, then getting the bell crank kit (TLR231027) with the 2.0 caster blocks (use the 0 degrees in the pack TLR234006) is your best bet. The bell crank kit comes with spindles so if you buy spares (shouldnt need them) make sure to get TLR234029. This is not the full 2.0 front conversion but is the best starting point for performance on a 1.0.

As for the front hinge pins staying in, there are two allen set screws in the kick block that secure them. Make sure you remove / back out those before trying to remove or reinstall the new ones that come in the package (although these are really not needed as they just changed the coating on the new ones).
Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the 1.0 SCT and just ordered the Exotek bell crank steering. It was only $13 more than the plastic 2.0 bell crank and you don't have to change anything else. I see a lot of people saying they upgraded to the plastic 2.0 version but haven't heard much about this. I'm kinda wondering why I haven't seen more about this on here.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by E-Mann
If you are looking to improve reliability and performance on the front, then getting the bell crank kit (TLR231027) with the 2.0 caster blocks (use the 0 degrees in the pack TLR234006) is your best bet. The bell crank kit comes with spindles so if you buy spares (shouldnt need them) make sure to get TLR234029. This is not the full 2.0 front conversion but is the best starting point for performance on a 1.0.

As for the front hinge pins staying in, there are two allen set screws in the kick block that secure them. Make sure you remove / back out those before trying to remove or reinstall the new ones that come in the package (although these are really not needed as they just changed the coating on the new ones).
Ok. I'll start with the steering upgrades.....might was we'll since I need replacements anyway.
I thought this kit was giving me a outer hinge pin to replace the screws AND a king pin for mounting the spindle to the caster block. Obviously I was wrong.
If I wanted threaded kingpins And outer hinge pins, which part number would I I've for those? (Considering I'll upgrade to 2.0 parts)
Thx for the help.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ok. I'll start with the steering upgrades.....might was we'll since I need replacements anyway.
I thought this kit was giving me a outer hinge pin to replace the screws AND a king pin for mounting the spindle to the caster block. Obviously I was wrong.
If I wanted threaded kingpins And outer hinge pins, which part number would I I've for those? (Considering I'll upgrade to 2.0 parts)
Thx for the help.
Not sure what you're talking about....like you said, TLR234034 contains the front hinge pins AND the threaded king pins. I went the complete route and purchased TLR234003 which included all the hinge pins and king pins.

Are you maybe thinking that the bellcrank system that E-Mann suggested includes the king and hinge pins?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:59 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Thx for the help.
We don't make an outer front hinge pin, only the king pin screws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.