Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
I don't have any weight in my truck. That was the goal when I started working on it, shorty pack and no extra weight. Be sure that this setup would work for the guys trying to race stock as well (especially really).

You can always throw in a full size pack and see how it makes the truck feel, or maybe a bit of lead/brass/steel in front of the battery. I might require a stiffer front spring though.
Frank I tried a full size pack at Ohio for the Midwest Winter Champs and it made the truck roll way too much. This was with your '14 setup. As soon as I went to the short pack, it was really good.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am looking at the Frank Root 2.0 setup and this line confuses me:

Front-> Shock Limiters
-5 turns unscrewed (3mm uptravel lim. on shaft outside)

What is this referring to?

Also, seems to be contradicted in the Notes section:
Front Shock Limiters -2 turns w/0 uptravel (shows rear limiting in both)

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slippery Dan

Front-> Shock Limiters

Thanks for any help.
Yeah it can read a bit "off" but make sense. I won't speak for Frank but I'll try to explain it as I believe what he's trying to do.

Limiters on the outside control over all roll in the truck, think of them as upstop limiters.

He's unscrewing the shock ends to get more droop out of the car. but doesn't want it on the up travel hence the outer limiters.

One would think that unscrewing the shocks say only 2 turns would accomplish something similar but this may not have been the case when Frank tested it.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Front-> Shock Limiters

Thanks for any help.
Use this for the front shocks "Front Shock Limiters -2 turns w/0 uptravel" as when Frank edits his sheet, when he enters something for the rear set up, it automatically enters it for the front. Hence the "(shows rear limiting in both)" in the comment section.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

And I think he means unscrew the front shock ends 2 turns, no external limiters for the front.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

So Frank...I guess I know you won't/can't answer this question but: with the 22SCT price cuts and low availability any chance you want to confirm that a 22SCT 2.0 is in the works? I guess I would assume it is given the 22 2.0. It would be nice to see a kit that includes the components you are running.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
So Frank...I guess I know you won't/can't answer this question but: with the 22SCT price cuts and low availability any chance you want to confirm that a 22SCT 2.0 is in the works? I guess I would assume it is given the 22 2.0. It would be nice to see a kit that includes the components you are running.
I wouldn't hold your breath, we will be selling the 22SCT for a while yet.
Take it for what it is worth, he said that on 02/12
Old 02-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wrightcs77
Take it for what it is worth, he said that on 02/12
Meh...I don't like the thought of buying a kit and adding another $132 in parts while throwing kit parts out just to get to a base setup.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Me neither...but it did make my truck much better....I have no doubt that SOMEDAY there will be a new generation of 22sct...until then I will run the latest setup even if it means I had to buy parts...that is just the way it goes...development happens even after trucks are sold and running....the other option would be a manufacturer that is not as aggressive trying new things for improvement...I am glad TLR has shown us setups to get our trucks faster...parts or not...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 22T parts in the rear are a big change on their own. I'm not running the 2.0 front end parts and I'm very happy with my current setup. Arms and bones aren't too bad...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewTom
hey frank,
http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR232027
are the grooves for ventilation or are they supposed to change the characteristics of the slipper? Both?
The grooves "clean" the slipper pad to keep a nice consistent surface of slipper pad to slipper plate. This helps slipper function perform more consistently. Dustin and Dakotah have been running them on the 22 2.0's with great success, and I've been running them on my 22SCT (which is harder on the slipper) and they have been working awesome.

Originally Posted by fantomdude
Frank
Are you running sct standard front hex with the 2.0 parts. I noticed that the 2.0 spindles make the truck narrower then with stock parts.
I run the standard SCT front hex (aluminum though).

Originally Posted by darkstar1974
Question about changing the kick angle from stock 30 deg to 25 deg, do I need a new front hinge pin brace? The stock one says 30 deg on it, im assuming this needs to be swapped. Do I use the one from TLR234008 along w a 25 deg kick angle shim?
No, it is good to have, but not required. TLR234008 is the correct part number though.

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Frank I tried a full size pack at Ohio for the Midwest Winter Champs and it made the truck roll way too much. This was with your '14 setup. As soon as I went to the short pack, it was really good.
Good, glad it worked well!

Front-> Shock Limiters

Thanks for any help.
Rear, I prefer the feel with the extra droop (-5 turns), but when the shock is that long, then the piston will hit the shock cap before the eyelet and spring cup bottom out on the bottom of the shock. Run the shock like this, and you'll be sure to break that lower piston e-clip pretty quickly. This is the reason for the up travel limiters, to be sure the lower stack will crash before the piston on the shock cap.

Front is -2 turns, but there is no issue with the piston hitting at full up travel with that down travel.

Meh...I don't like the thought of buying a kit and adding another $132 in parts while throwing kit parts out just to get to a base setup.
Sorry you feel this way. I shared the setup for those willing to try the parts, and looking to improve the truck as best as we know how at this time (which is something we always strive for). If you'd prefer not to buy the parts, just try the Frank Root Mike's Hobbies/Short Course Show Down Setup.

Originally Posted by Bivens
Me neither...but it did make my truck much better....I have no doubt that SOMEDAY there will be a new generation of 22sct...until then I will run the latest setup even if it means I had to buy parts...that is just the way it goes...development happens even after trucks are sold and running....the other option would be a manufacturer that is not as aggressive trying new things for improvement...I am glad TLR has shown us setups to get our trucks faster...parts or not...
We always work towards making our stuff as good as possible. The first vehicle in the platform has a few unknowns, and the setups for those seems to take a little more adjustment. The 22 2.0 buggy setups are pretty close to all production, just moving shocks around, oils, springs, camber links etc.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry you feel this way. I shared the setup for those willing to try the parts, and looking to improve the truck as best as we know how at this time (which is something we always strive for). If you'd prefer not to buy the parts, just try the Frank Root Mike's Hobbies/Short Course Show Down Setup.
The issue is that I don't yet own the truck. I'm thinking about getting back into 2wd SCT and the 22SCT seems to be the truck to drive. But the thought of buying a brand new kit and then all the parts required is a little off putting. For whatever reason I'd rather pay the full original price of the 22SCT and get all the parts than buying it at the discounts price and adding all the additional parts. In reality it doesn't make any sense as the cost is really about the same.

Ok I'm an idiot. If I pick 2wd SCT I suppose I'll be getting the 22SCT and all the parts.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The issue is that I don't yet own the truck. I'm thinking about getting back into 2wd SCT and the 22SCT seems to be the truck to drive. But the thought of buying a brand new kit and then all the parts required is a little off putting. For whatever reason I'd rather pay the full original price of the 22SCT and get all the parts than buying it at the discounts price and adding all the additional parts. In reality it doesn't make any sense as the cost is really about the same.

Ok I'm an idiot. If I pick 2wd SCT I suppose I'll be getting the 22SCT and all the parts.
I think most people can agree with what your saying, but the cost to re engineer the 22sct and make parts would be at a cost and then they would have to price a new kit to cover that.

Also RC is about figuring out how to make something better which is what Frank did. He shared it as most of the TLR guys do with us so that we also can improve the truck. You do not have to try it. I get the cost but in RC trial and error is costly no matter how you look at it and if a guys like Frank try and make it work then share it well its not nearly as costly.

I think overall a new kit would be pointless unless they do what they did to the 22 and 22 2.0. Most guys can convert their old to the new with a few parts geometry wise and not have to buy a full kit.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Frank, One last thing on the 2.0 set up. With the 22 2.0 rear axles, do you use the shim that comes w them like the stock 2.0 buggy setup?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darkstar1974
Frank, One last thing on the 2.0 set up. With the 22 2.0 rear axles, do you use the shim that comes w them like the stock 2.0 buggy setup?
No shim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.