Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 02-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi guys, Just wanted to give some feedback on Frank's 2014 setup since I have been running it for a bit. In it's 'stock' form, it didn't work for my tracks. The rear end bounced around too much. I went back to yellow springs in the rear and moved the battery forward 1 battery pad. I could have probably gotten the rear to settle down some with the red springs, but I think I would have had to change oil and possibly pistons.

If you are on a fairly smooth track, especially a high bite one, I would suggest going with this setup. Follow it to the letter. Don't deviate at all. All the little things add up!

If your track is a bit rougher, like for example the Motorama track we were just at, I suggest softening the truck up some so that it absorbs the bumps better. I was thinking about trying either 3x1.4 or 2x1.6 tapered but I didn't have enough time to try it.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm at the track and this truck is driving me crazy and I can't figure it out. The slipper is getting so hot 210! It's not slipping and I don't have to loosen it much before it does start slipping. I ran it yesterday in a big parking lot to make sure it was OK and it was? Come to the track and it's getting hot as hell. If anyone has any ideas I would be very thankful, I drove 2hrs to the track and can't run it.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wreckya View Post
I'm at the track and this truck is driving me crazy and I can't figure it out. The slipper is getting so hot 210! It's not slipping and I don't have to loosen it much before it does start slipping. I ran it yesterday in a big parking lot to make sure it was OK and it was? Come to the track and it's getting hot as hell. If anyone has any ideas I would be very thankful, I drove 2hrs to the track and can't run it.
Why not just run the stock diff???
Old 02-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gawith0413 View Post
Why not just run the stock diff???
It is the stock diff I don't understand it?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I thought you were using the AVID?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gawith0413 View Post
I thought you were using the AVID?
Stopped couldn't get it to work, ok maybe it wasn't tight enough I just held the tires and could spin the spur so I tightened it hope this fixes it. Can someone post a pic of a stock one so I can see how much thread is sticking out past the nut.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Stopped couldn't get it to work, ok maybe it wasn't tight enough I just held the tires and could spin the spur so I tightened it hope this fixes it. Can someone post a pic of a stock one so I can see how much thread is sticking out past the nut.
A good way to start to figure out how to adjust your slipper is. Hold both the back rear wheels to the ground with your knees and give it full throttle, If the front end doesn't lift up about 5-6in your slipper is to lose. If it goes up higher then that your slipper is to tight and you need to back off the slipper nut. Or another good way to adjust it is set the truck on the ground and give it wide open throttle it should spin the wheels for 4-5 feet then hook up if it wheelies like crazy your prolly to tight or have to much traction.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

So...back on the stock slipper, right?

Should slip a few feet...say 4 or so....no more... when you put it down on the track and gun it...
Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Works for all slippers. Best method to check the slipper is hold both rear tires down on the bench or track and gun it. The front tires should lift up about 3 inches. Any more any and the slipper might be too tight. Any less it is too loose. This is also the best way to check your ball diff. If it barks while trying to set the slipper then it is too loose and will destroy itself if you run it. Good luck
Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rawwolf View Post
Works for all slippers. Best method to check the slipper is hold both rear tires down on the bench or track and gun it. The front tires should lift up about 3 inches. Any more any and the slipper might be too tight. Any less it is too loose. This is also the best way to check your ball diff. If it barks while trying to set the slipper then it is too loose and will destroy itself if you run it. Good luck
This method works well for 2wd mod buggy,SCT,not so much.
If you get it tight enough to lift SCT wheels 3 inches off the bench it will be very tight.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Henry#40 View Post
If you get it tight enough to lift SCT wheels 3 inches off the bench it will be very tight.
just take the front wheels off the kit......
Old 02-22-2014, 03:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Henry#40 View Post
your right they are too heavy to do it like this.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

I thought it was tight enough but I guess it wasn't, the more I tightened it the more it cooled down. After I finally got it to were I thought it should be and it was running really good the pinion ate all the teeth off my spur gear errrr!!! I don't know if that comes from it being set too tight or if my gear mesh was too loose? I've about had it with something that's suppose to be so easy though.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I thought it was tight enough but I guess it wasn't, the more I tightened it the more it cooled down. After I finally got it to were I thought it should be and it was running really good the pinion ate all the teeth off my spur gear errrr!!! I don't know if that comes from it being set too tight or if my gear mesh was too loose? I've about had it with something that's suppose to be so easy though.
this could happen from being to tight and also to loose. If it was to loose it When driving it you wont really notice anything happening. But with not having a lot of serfuce area the spur would give way after being under stress for awhile. If it was to tight it would cause a lot of heat build up until the spur gets so hot it weakins and starts giving way. This should be pretty easy to tell when driving. It will feel like you have your drag break set high. Any time you let off the throttle it would stop fast or spin out. over ever jump you will have a really hard time. I found for people not good at it the easiest way to set it is take a piece of paper put it between the gears and put them together and tighten the motor mount screws down. Remove the paper by turining the gears so it feeds out. Basicaly you are using the paper as a shim. You do want play but not to much thats why the paper works well. Hopefully this helps.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the proline pro spec shocks on their 22sct yet? Pros/Cons?

I picked up a set and wondered if they are worth installing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.