Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
So, my stock CVDs are pretty worn, as are the outdrives. I've been meaning to replace them, but they "still work ok". However, the past two weekends, I keep losing the pin that holds the bone to the axle. I make sure to locktite the retainer screw so that it holds the pin in place, but it manages to work itself loose, tears up the knuckle, and falls out. I'm guessing it's because my CVDs are so worn and there is so much play now. Anyone have similar issues?

In any case, I'm thinking new CVDs and I'm eyeing the MIP kit: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-CVD-Kit-22SCT

The MIP kit includes capture rings, which I wish TLR would include in their CVDs. Anyone run the MIP kit and have an opinion?
i haven't had good luck with MIP 'CVD's' in the past for starters, but i cannot comment on the set for the 22 because I havent used it.

I will ask, what kind of threadlock are you using? I have only had one incident of the set screw backing out, and have since switch to Red loctite, havent had an issue since.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewTom
i haven't had good luck with MIP 'CVD's' in the past for starters, but i cannot comment on the set for the 22 because I havent used it.

I will ask, what kind of threadlock are you using? I have only had one incident of the set screw backing out, and have since switch to Red loctite, havent had an issue since.
I use blue loctite since I want to be able to take the set screw out to do maintenance on the CVDs. I take them apart after every practice weekend to clean and lube them.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The notch in the pin will work even without Loctite since the screw can still come loose but the pin can't come out.
Gotta clean the screw and the hole before the blue Loctite will work best.
If you choose red Loctite it will need heat to remove the screw, use your soldering iron and touch it, that'll get it loose.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
The notch in the pin will work even without Loctite since the screw can still come loose but the pin can't come out.
Gotta clean the screw and the hole before the blue Loctite will work best.
If you choose red Loctite it will need heat to remove the screw, use your soldering iron and touch it, that'll get it loose.
the pins have a notch?
I havent built/cleaned my CV's in quit a few races, but I don't remember there being a notch on the pin on this truck.

as Cuda said, use a soldering iron when using red Loctite. I tyr to use a very small amount. I
MO its kinda like glueing tires or building ball diffs, less can be more in some ways.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AndrewTom
the pins have a notch?
I havent built/cleaned my CV's in quit a few races, but I don't remember there being a notch on the pin on this truck.
No, they do not, he was suggesting I grind some notches into them to help the set screw hold them in place.

as Cuda said, use a soldering iron when using red Loctite. I tyr to use a very small amount. I
MO its kinda like glueing tires or building ball diffs, less can be more in some ways.
I'm considering the red loctite now, and I know that I'm OCD about cleaning the CVDs. But just using motor spray to flush out dirt never did a good enough job in my opinion. But, in all honest, the drive shaft upper pins (that go into the outdrives) and the outdrives themselves wear out WAY before the shaft connection has a chance to. So perhaps I'm just overdoing things.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

No, they do not, he was suggesting I grind some notches into them to help the set screw hold them in place.

I'm considering the red loctite now, and I know that I'm OCD about cleaning the CVDs. But just using motor spray to flush out dirt never did a good enough job in my opinion. But, in all honest, the drive shaft upper pins (that go into the outdrives) and the outdrives themselves wear out WAY before the shaft connection has a chance to. So perhaps I'm just overdoing things.
FWIW, I use shrink tubing as a boot on mine. It helps keep the grease and pins in. I haven't had a pin come loose since.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Where are the lower shock parts everyone is talking about? I have a used 22sct coming.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
Where are the lower shock parts everyone is talking about? I have a used 22sct coming.
Look at the first page of this thread, there is a table towards the top that lists the 2.0 parts. You want the X-rings and the bushings (233005, 233006). I don't think the bushings are in stock anywhere right now, last time I looked.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
FWIW, I use shrink tubing as a boot on mine. It helps keep the grease and pins in. I haven't had a pin come loose since.

OMG

That's a surefire way to bind the rear suspension, because there's no way you can tell me that the CVDs are able to retain their intended/designed amount of freedom of movement.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Suspended

the past two weekends, I keep losing the pin that holds the bone to the axle. I make sure to locktite the retainer screw so that it holds the pin in place, but it manages to work itself loose, tears up the knuckle, and falls out. I'm guessing it's because my CVDs are so worn and there is so much play now. Anyone have similar issues?

In any case, I'm thinking new CVDs and I'm eyeing the MIP kit:
Haven't tried the MIP CVDs, so I don't have an opinion either way, but I haven't had your problem either.

Before capture rings were invented, an old school trick was to install a small (1/8th inch) piece of hear shrink tubing on the cup of the axle, just enough to cover the pin, and it aided greatly in keeping the pins from slipping out.

I've done it as a practice for years, and as long as the set screw was tight, I can't say I've ever list a pin (even when just using blue loctite, which I prefer over red as I don't want to have to screw around with heating screws).
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hoonigantoo
Haven't tried the MIP CVDs, so I don't have an opinion either way, but I haven't had your problem either.

Before capture rings were invented, an old school trick was to install a small (1/8th inch) piece of hear shrink tubing on the cup of the axle, just enough to cover the pin, and it aided greatly in keeping the pins from slipping out.

I've done it as a practice for years, and as long as the set screw was tight, I can't say I've ever list a pin (even when just using blue loctite, which I prefer over red as I don't want to have to screw around with heating screws).
Yeah, I'm thinking I may try the little strip of shrink tubing. I saw the "full" solution above and don't thin I want to do that. I have OCD about free-moving drivetrain, and that surely restricts the CVD movement as you noted. But a 1/8" strip would be perfect.

If all else fails, I'll play test monkey and get the MIP kit
Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If you have a Dremel and a cutoff wheel you really should try the notch.
It's too easy.
Even if the screw comes loose the pin can't come out.
If you don't have a Dremel you can sand it, file it...
Motor spray the screw and hole, blue loctite and fuhgetaboutit.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

I also had issues with the driveshaft pins coming out. They would work out every few race nights. About a month ago I put a strip of shrink tubing on the collar as the others are talking about and haven't had a problem since!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have been running the MIP cvd's since April in 17.5. Weigh the same as stock and rebuilding my truck now. The pins have some wear but the axle and coupler are still in perfect shape. I had my pins back out a few times with the stock ones and have been real happy with the MIP's.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Got the 22 2.0 steering rack for my 17.5 truck. Like the ball stud placement, but dirt & dust still going to be a problem for it wearing out I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.