Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey Casper I'm running your setup minus the rear sway bar. I race at king hobbies (king headz) in valparaiso IN. I'm running 17.5 blinky w a 78/25 d3.5. I had a 26 tooth pinion on but I dropped it to 25. I'm having a bit of trouble w a double single just not able to consistently clear it. I'm running a full pack do you think a shorty may help? I'm not sure if the less weight will help w a 17.5 class
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sanny632 View Post
Hey Casper I'm running your setup minus the rear sway bar. I race at king hobbies (king headz) in valparaiso IN. I'm running 17.5 blinky w a 78/25 d3.5. I had a 26 tooth pinion on but I dropped it to 25. I'm having a bit of trouble w a double single just not able to consistently clear it. I'm running a full pack do you think a shorty may help? I'm not sure if the less weight will help w a 17.5 class
With the d3.5 17.5 Maxzilla I ran at least a 28T pinion - 28/78. Casper setup exactly.

A shorty pack definitely makes the truck feel more nimble and should fly a little better. I ran mine about midway forward.

What is the traction like at the track? What tires are you using? What are the guys who can clear the jump using? How does their line compare to yours?

Sometimes there's jumps you can't clear. Better to be safe than case it and turtle.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0ddy_44 View Post
Hey guys, I'm buying the tlr 22sct rtr for my brother and I'm wondering if the included esc will be able to handle a 10.5?
We have a 10.5 class rule for sct in Australia
RTRs and RTCs are aimed at those new to the RC hobby. For someone new to RC racing, this servo should be okay and should give good service. It has enough torque and is fast enough for light club racing. 10.5 is usually considered the lowest turn of the stock motors. It is also found in mod class racing, but most mod class racers use lower turn motors these days. Most experienced racers would want a much faster servo, and I've never heard anyone say their servo has too much torque

Don't think I would rate a steering servo by motor type / size. The size and weight of the RC, track conditions, BEC voltage, and driver skill and preferences are important in selecting a servo. Really it comes down to how much torque the servo has, how fast the servo is, and how well it really performs. In other words, is it glitch and sputter-free, does it operate smoothly, and does it really perform at its rated torque and speed.

The servo in question is the Losi LOS0812. It sells for about $43.00 US. In my mind, this is a budget stock servo. It compares well to other servos in this price range. Here are the specs:

Specifications:
Size Category: Standard
Type: Digital
Torque: 140 oz-in @ 6.0V
Speed: .18 sec/60 degrees @ 6.0V
Bushing Or Bearing: Bearing
Gear Type: Metal

While there are a lot of opinions about servos, in the end only you can decide what's right for you. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Shorty pack will make the truck fly farther. You should be able to take 2 stock battery pads and put one in front and one behind laying down. That should make the pack centered of where your full one was. I would try it there and you can move it around.

I think the shorty should be run due to weight for 17.5. The only time I would think about a full is if track was slick and needed some more weight. Don't forget to reset your ride height and camber once you put the shorty in.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

@ _44...the RTC esc is only rated down to 13.5 turn
Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

My son runs a D3.5 when rules alow and we run 25/81 with endbell at 30 today he ran a large track and it was 90 deg air temp and the motor was 160-165 after a 6min race. About a month ago we tested shorty vs long pack and the affects on jumping we tested two diff brands of shortys both top notch 1 65 c and 1 70c vs 3 diff long packs 1 65c 1 90c and 1 100c and the orion 90c 5500 long pack out jumped them all by 3 ft every time. Hope this helps!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks guys I might just build up a kit for him...
cheers Toddy
Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,
Anybody got a good starting point setup for mid-motor astro?
Cheers
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sylv456 View Post
Hi,
Anybody got a good starting point setup for mid-motor astro?
Cheers
Here ya go. For future reference, it's also on the first page under RCT Member setups

[email protected] (Jon Gagnon) Mid-Motor setup he used to win the Battle On The Green race on Astroturf, 3/17/13. Congratulations Jon!
*Front Toe is .5 not 3*
http://pages.videotron.ca/jaunerc/22SCT_BotG.pdf
Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
Here ya go. For future reference, it's also on the first page under RCT Member setups

[email protected] (Jon Gagnon) Mid-Motor setup he used to win the Battle On The Green race on Astroturf, 3/17/13. Congratulations Jon!
*Front Toe is .5 not 3*
http://pages.videotron.ca/jaunerc/22SCT_BotG.pdf
Thanks Scott, did anybody already try this one with non-stock motor, like 7.5 or 6.5? Still good?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks guys they run 1/8 scales so track is loamy loose traction is never too plentiful. I run city block 2 wide and carvers up front.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for 17.5 blinky, you need to worry about being smooth. for my track, you need to be smooth and fast through a turn to make a small quad section a triple. fi you mess up the turn, its taking it singles or double double. 17.5 has its beauty for equal power, maybe not for forgivness1

Originally Posted by t0ddy_44 View Post
Thanks guys I might just build up a kit for him...
cheers Toddy
remember, you can run Boosted with the RTC's stock ESC, you just need to change to a lower gear ratio, and change profiles on the ESC.
will your track allow for 17.5 boosted to run with 10.5 blinky?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post
With the d3.5 17.5 Maxzilla I ran at least a 28T pinion - 28/78. Casper setup exactly.

A shorty pack definitely makes the truck feel more nimble and should fly a little better. I ran mine about midway forward.

What is the traction like at the track? What tires are you using? What are the guys who can clear the jump using? How does their line compare to yours?

Sometimes there's jumps you can't clear. Better to be safe than case it and turtle.
Shorty pack will help the truck jump a little further and give better acceleration out of the corner but I also agree with AndrewTom in that stock is about momentum so you need to be smooth and carry as much speed as y you can into tricky sections that require power.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Shorty pack will help the truck jump a little further and give better acceleration out of the corner but I also agree with AndrewTom in that stock is about momentum so you need to be smooth and carry as much speed as y you can into tricky sections that require power.
I've had good lucky running shorties, though I did have to play a bit with handling. Funny enough, I'm back to Casper's setup, stiffening up the rear (after I softened it up) gave the truck better cornering for sure.

The only trick at our track is tires. It's a hard packed clay track (wet in the mornings), that gets pretty damn dusty over the day. The Panther Rattlers work great when the track is swept, but when it's dusty, my rear end gets pretty loose. I tried some Panther Raptors in those dusty conditions (all four tires), but they didn't really have much side grip at all. So, I'm a little stumped as what I should do.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sylv456 View Post
Thanks Scott, did anybody already try this one with non-stock motor, like 7.5 or 6.5? Still good?
Hi Nicolas, you're welcome, I don't know if anyone has. I know that was used by Jon Gagnon with a 17.5, but he'd have a good idea if he thinks any changes would/should be done if running mod. But my guess is it would be the same with the exception of maybe a couple minor things like gearing and maybe going up 2.5 in shock oil or something if there's big jumps. Hopefully Jon chimes in and gives some input. But I'd start from there for a baseline starting point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.