Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

KMAN is correct, comes standard on all tekin Gen 2 motors.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I did, They do last longer but they need some filling as there are too tight to begin with. I broke two in the past 2 years so they might break a little easier than the stock but thats on carpet and we hit the boards a little faster than on dirt. I havent ran them in a dusty track so I can't speak if they bind or not in these situations but there is no slots like the stock one (3 slots pointing forward)...
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
They don't bind like the alum ones do in dust. And yes they need to be filed slightly.
Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
Yes the Alu Rack is Awesome, works flawless. No binding and zero slop ,worth the $30 PM him he has a few made ready to ship! >> This Member > http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...35-144019.html
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the delrin steering rack a go. If that turns out to be too brittle or wear too much too fast then I'll try the expensive aluminum combo.

Without staring a heated debate about the pros and cons of the steering system, I think we all know that the 22SCT isn't as precise once the steering rack begins to wear and the front end floats around like every other 2wd SCT on the market. Maybe that is even desirable in these light-weight models as a kind of built-in buffer against being tossed around with every imperfection of the track surface. Afterall, the 22SCT is a great handling 2wd model just as it is with the stock steering rack. I've been running mine for about 3 1/2 months now, and while the steering has loosened up noticeably every race week, it hasn't really affected my ability to control it. So this may seem odd, but I would just like to see how this thing will handle minus the ever-increasing front-end slop.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sapperc View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the delrin steering rack a go. If that turns out to be too brittle or wear too much too fast then I'll try the expensive aluminum combo.

Without staring a heated debate about the pros and cons of the steering system, I think we all know that the 22SCT isn't as precise once the steering rack begins to wear and the front end floats around like every other 2wd SCT on the market. Maybe that is even desirable in these light-weight models as a kind of built-in buffer against being tossed around with every imperfection of the track surface. Afterall, the 22SCT is a great handling 2wd model just as it is with the stock steering rack. I've been running mine for about 3 1/2 months now, and while the steering has loosened up noticeably every race week, it hasn't really affected my ability to control it. So this may seem odd, but I would just like to see how this thing will handle minus the ever-increasing front-end slop.

Thanks for all the input.
I might actually agree with you a bit about a small amount of slop being better for the car and making it easier to drive. I have not replaced my rack in any of my 22's and haven't noticed the slop affecting my on-track performance.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Guys-- Wanted to let you know I started my own web site:
www.casper-rc.com
I will be posting links to all my setups and well as adding more information on hopup parts I add as well as ESC motor setups and other things. I will be adding more information in the next few weeks but check it out. I had a web site similar to this years ago that was popular to get info on Losi 10th scale offroad electric cars so I decided to start it back up again. Again I will be doing some massive building of the site over the next few weeks in getting information on there but wanted to make you guys aware of the site. I still plan on participating as much as I can as I always have on this site but this will be an easy resource for those commonly asked questions I get.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Alright, I'm pretty confused. So... I rebuilt my diff, using Casper's thrust bearing. I followed the manual and watched the video, I'm pretty sure I assembled the diff correctly. Tightened it just enough to let one side spin the other. Installed diff and transmission. Assembled new clutch and backed it out 1/2 turn. Went through the break-in process of the diff, spinning one side at a time with the motor, and slowly tightening the diff after each round. I got the diff pretty tight, to the point where spinning the tires (fairly hard) in opposite directions stopped them in about 1/2 turn.

I then held the rear wheels and was going to adjust the clutch, I was expecting the car's front to come up X inches. However, when I pressed the throttle quickly, all I heard was a terrible grinding/skipping noise and the car just lurched a bunch. That was NOT supposed to happen. Did I bark the diff?

I backed out the slipper almost all the way and slowly started tightening it, holding the rear tires and seeing if it slips. It slipped at first, but as it got tighter, instead of the front of the car coming up, I started hearing that skipping/grinding noise again. It almost sounds like some gears are skipping teeth, I have no idea what a barking diff sounds like.

What the hell am I doing wrong?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Metalnut, sounds to me like you might have overtightened your diff, you should get a full rotation of your tire, not 1/2. Then the skipping teeth, that sounds like you stripped an idler gear which is common when you have too tight of a diff. That's what it sounds like to me based on your description.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
Metalnut, sounds to me like you might have overtightened your diff, you should get a full rotation of your tire, not 1/2. Then the skipping teeth, that sounds like you stripped an idler gear which is common when you have too tight of a diff. That's what it sounds like to me based on your description.
So, I was following this video, and he said 1/2 turn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EToj2...ailpage#t=653s

Edit: I just took my transmission apart and all gears are fine. No sign of wear or anything like that. I loosened the ball diff just a tad now, but I'm still afraid to try the slipper. I found another video, from Horizon Hobby, of setting the slipper by pushing the truck away from you backwared and hitting the throttle. I may try that. Still, I can't explain that gear/skipping loud noise.

Edit 2: I went back through it. Loosened the diff a bit, and retightened until I was getting 1/2 smooth wheel spin. I then loosened the slipper a lot and started to tighten it slowly with testing in between. With the front wheels off, I can now get the front to come up about 1" before the slipper kicks in. I think that's a good starting point, no? I have no idea what the previous noise/skipping was, the only thing I'm doing different now is really slamming the throttle for the slipper test.

Last edited by metalnut; 04-20-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Alright Casper and Scott Kelly heres my Mid motor experiment update.

The 22SCT in midmotor form with a sideways shorty(see my previous posts with pics) was great yesterday. I was using the Jon Gagnon setup from the front page( for the most part). I was leading in the first heat and popped the dreaded ball cup when I hit a barrier. Came back to 2nd and 3rd fast qualifier in the first round. 2nd round I set TQ with the only 18 lap run. Screwed myself right off the bat in the main and was last after the 1st corner. got hacked a couple times and was about 3/4 of a lap down at the 1 minute mark. Worked my way back through the pack again and with about 1 1/2 minutes left in the 7 minute main I was only 1 second behind the leader and gaining ground fast. The a guy 2 laps down decided to hack me into the boards as i passed him and the dreaded ball cup popped off ruining any chance at the win. I have no doubt I could have caught the leader, not sure if I could have passed him though.....LOL
All in all truck was a rocket but very twitchy, I really had to watch it on turn in on high speed corners, I had to be really easy on it but man was it fast, would love to see how fast it could be if I could really push it.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Guys-- Wanted to let you know I started my own web site:
www.casper-rc.com
I will be posting links to all my setups and well as adding more information on hopup parts
Casper, on your site you picture the thrust assembly with 2 outside washers and the caged washer. Do you get 2 outside washers(one as a spare)?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by travymoto11 View Post
Casper, on your site you picture the thrust assembly with 2 outside washers and the caged washer. Do you get 2 outside washers(one as a spare)?
No you use both washers, one on each side of the cage.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default what option/upgrade parts?

just got a 22 sct. i run outdoors on hard packed loose dusty tracks. just curious what upgrade parts most people run. either for handling performance or durability?

also wondered why you cant get the 4 degree rear toe blocks in the LRC. I can only find them in HRC.

can anyone explain the differences? I know what LRC and HRC stand for but dont grasp concept.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by travymoto11 View Post
Yeah you get two grooved washers. The grooves go against the balls for better surface contact and better wear.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I did my first off-road race today (yes, first ever), and it went... ok I had technical trouble during the first two qualifying rounds. First, I didn't realize that I was running +1.5mm hexes in the back, which combined with the thicker JConcepts Hex Hazard wheels didn't leave much axle thread for the nut. So, naturally one came loose and I lost a wheel. However, the second and reoccurring issue was with the steering turnbuckles popping off. The previous owner filed down the plastic where necessary, the ball cups have the little (factory) indents in them, but they still pop off.

A fellow 22SCT racer (and a fast one!) suggested that I add two shock orings on the outside of the shock shaft, which I did. That helped, but didn't cure the issue. So, I'm going to order the Traxxas links and just call it done.

Despite all that, I managed to take 3rd in the Novice A main, so I'm pretty happy with myself

Loving this truck! I'm "almost" running the Casper setup, and it drives pretty nice. I switched to blue springs up front, running 30wt oil all around, standard hexes up front and +.75 back (that's the most I can run with the JConcepts wheels for now). A fellow driver said the truck oversteers a little too much, but I think I like it that way. More practice to come next weekend.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WIGMAN View Post
Alright Casper and Scott Kelly heres my Mid motor experiment update.

The 22SCT in midmotor form with a sideways shorty(see my previous posts with pics) was great yesterday. I was using the Jon Gagnon setup from the front page( for the most part). I was leading in the first heat and popped the dreaded ball cup when I hit a barrier. Came back to 2nd and 3rd fast qualifier in the first round. 2nd round I set TQ with the only 18 lap run. Screwed myself right off the bat in the main and was last after the 1st corner. got hacked a couple times and was about 3/4 of a lap down at the 1 minute mark. Worked my way back through the pack again and with about 1 1/2 minutes left in the 7 minute main I was only 1 second behind the leader and gaining ground fast. The a guy 2 laps down decided to hack me into the boards as i passed him and the dreaded ball cup popped off ruining any chance at the win. I have no doubt I could have caught the leader, not sure if I could have passed him though.....LOL
All in all truck was a rocket but very twitchy, I really had to watch it on turn in on high speed corners, I had to be really easy on it but man was it fast, would love to see how fast it could be if I could really push it.
Hey Wigman, thanks for the update. Sounds like a very fast setup, be interested to see how you do with a little more wheel time and if you make slight changes to tame down the twitchyness. But at the same time, a truck on edge can be REALLY fast when driven well. Congrats on the great runs, bummer about the hack jobs though but glad it was a good positive experiment that showed promise. How was the truck when rotating turns? Easy to rotate in a controled manner or did it rotate more like a snap turn?

Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Well, I did my first off-road race today (yes, first ever), and it went... ok I had technical trouble during the first two qualifying rounds. First, I didn't realize that I was running +1.5mm hexes in the back, which combined with the thicker JConcepts Hex Hazard wheels didn't leave much axle thread for the nut. So, naturally one came loose and I lost a wheel. However, the second and reoccurring issue was with the steering turnbuckles popping off. The previous owner filed down the plastic where necessary, the ball cups have the little (factory) indents in them, but they still pop off.

A fellow 22SCT racer (and a fast one!) suggested that I add two shock orings on the outside of the shock shaft, which I did. That helped, but didn't cure the issue. So, I'm going to order the Traxxas links and just call it done.

Despite all that, I managed to take 3rd in the Novice A main, so I'm pretty happy with myself

Loving this truck! I'm "almost" running the Casper setup, and it drives pretty nice. I switched to blue springs up front, running 30wt oil all around, standard hexes up front and +.75 back (that's the most I can run with the JConcepts wheels for now). A fellow driver said the truck oversteers a little too much, but I think I like it that way. More practice to come next weekend.
Hey Metalnut, good job sounds like you had a blast for your first race day. Congrats, your life wont ever be the same again now that you've been bitten by the racing bug Yeah, personally, I think the captured ends are the way to go with this truck and they don't bind like people used to be worried about, just remember to put spacers under the ball cups and you'll be golden. Your diff hold through the day well? Hopefully you got all that worked out and it stays good for a while too.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
Hey Metalnut, good job sounds like you had a blast for your first race day. Congrats, your life wont ever be the same again now that you've been bitten by the racing bug Yeah, personally, I think the captured ends are the way to go with this truck and they don't bind like people used to be worried about, just remember to put spacers under the ball cups and you'll be golden. Your diff hold through the day well? Hopefully you got all that worked out and it stays good for a while too.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm really liking off-road racing, seems more "fun" than onroad carpet that I started a while back. I mean, I really like both, but off-road just feels more fun and less stressful

Now, regarding my diff... I really don't know. What I thought was my diff barking while setting my slipper clutch may actually have been my motor cogging... why, I'm not sure. The diff feels ok, but I'm going to take it apart to have a look anyway. I'll rebuild it and keep it with me, but I'm going to try the gear diff for the next race. I just want to experiment a little and see which suits me better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.