Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 AM
  #6691  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 23
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thought I would chime in on the ball diff issue. For those that are having issues with broken bolts, try installing the diff in the opposite direction as instructed. Associated diffs adjust from the same side as the slipper for a reason. It will not over tighten as you drive. I installed it this way from the build and have not had a single issue with stock parts. I found it strange that the instructions say to install it with adjustment on the left side.
manfromclio is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 AM
  #6692  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
AndrewTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,429
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by LBR_Frank View Post
Agreed, was wondering why my 30wt shocks felt stiff... now I know why lol. was using TLR 32.5 equivalent.
I was the same way a while back, when i first put caspers set up on my XXX-SCT.
Originally Posted by manfromclio View Post
Thought I would chime in on the ball diff issue. For those that are having issues with broken bolts, try installing the diff in the opposite direction as instructed. Associated diffs adjust from the same side as the slipper for a reason. It will not over tighten as you drive. I installed it this way from the build and have not had a single issue with stock parts. I found it strange that the instructions say to install it with adjustment on the left side.
thats an interesting thought, but I cannot imagine the diff screw backing out, considering it is under tension from the diff spring. and i would think its better to have the diff tighten a bit then have it loosen and bark.
we put the diff screw on the left for the simplicity of adjusting it (with the diff tool, its pretty easy). I need to look at my truck, but i dont think there is enough room to fit the diff tool in between the spur gear cover and the rear shock tower.
AndrewTom is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 02:41 PM
  #6693  
Tech Master
iTrader: (48)
 
robcamj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Haines City, FL
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Anyone having trouble with the steering binding up?
robcamj is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM
  #6694  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
AndrewTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,429
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by robcamj View Post
Anyone having trouble with the steering binding up?
elaborate a little more. where is it binding?
check if the servo horn is scraping the rack.
AndrewTom is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 04:23 PM
  #6695  
Tech Master
iTrader: (48)
 
robcamj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Haines City, FL
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AndrewTom View Post
elaborate a little more. where is it binding?
check if the servo horn is scraping the rack.
I figured it out. Well I should say a fellow racer helped. Apparently the aluminum steering rack has a tendency to bind up after a while. Back to the plastic for me.
robcamj is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 PM
  #6696  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
AndrewTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,429
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by robcamj View Post
I figured it out. Well I should say a fellow racer helped. Apparently the aluminum steering rack has a tendency to bind up after a while. Back to the plastic for me.
I have heard a few times in this thread about the aluminum rack binding up.
that reminds me, I need to replace my rack before next sunday! starting to get a little loose
AndrewTom is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
  #6697  
Tech Master
iTrader: (48)
 
robcamj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Haines City, FL
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AndrewTom View Post
I have heard a few times in this thread about the aluminum rack binding up.
that reminds me, I need to replace my rack before next sunday! starting to get a little loose
I have a nice aluminum one I will sell you. Haha.
robcamj is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM
  #6698  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Leominster,Ma.
Posts: 656
Default

Originally Posted by robcamj View Post
Anyone having trouble with the steering binding up?
yes stick with the plastic and use graphite powder to lube it.
Losi57 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 PM
  #6699  
Tech Apprentice
 
tbills66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 78
Default

How do you stop the rear end from "bucking" up when going through a section with discs off set? Would you run larger hole pistons or go with different springs? This is on carpet and I'm pretty sure it is the Frank Root setup.
tbills66 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 PM
  #6700  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 445
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone measure the weight differance between the Titanium turnbuckle kit and the standard? I read here or on the 22 forum that the Ti screw kit saves 1.5 oz?
travymoto11 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 PM
  #6701  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
LBR_Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 155
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by travymoto11 View Post
Has anyone measure the weight differance between the Titanium turnbuckle kit and the standard? I read here or on the 22 forum that the Ti screw kit saves 1.5 oz?
I weighed the stock aluminum against the lundsford set and it was a 50% savings. same on the ball studs. mind you it's 50% of very little
LBR_Frank is offline  
Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
  #6702  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
metalnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Hello gentlemen,

I just acquired a 22sct roller, which I should have this coming week. It'll be my first SCT, so I'm trying to get a grasp on the basics. I'm currently trying to understand which bodies will fit the truck. ProLine lists the "Flo-Tek Chevy Silverado" as fitting, is that a good choice? I'd like to reduce the parachute effect as much as I can, but also have a body that will take the abuse of a novice driver.

I'd appreciate any recommendations, thanks!
metalnut is offline  
Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM
  #6703  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
AndrewTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,429
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tbills66 View Post
How do you stop the rear end from "bucking" up when going through a section with discs off set? Would you run larger hole pistons or go with different springs? This is on carpet and I'm pretty sure it is the Frank Root setup.
by 'bucking up' do you mean the rear is over rebounding off a jump?
is the truck grounding out? if it is, go thicker on shock fluid, or to the next step smaller piston.
Caspers set up may work better on carpet hen root's. but I dont know, ive never run on carpet, except my living room.
AndrewTom is offline  
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM
  #6704  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
AndrewTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,429
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Hello gentlemen,

I just acquired a 22sct roller, which I should have this coming week. It'll be my first SCT, so I'm trying to get a grasp on the basics. I'm currently trying to understand which bodies will fit the truck. ProLine lists the "Flo-Tek Chevy Silverado" as fitting, is that a good choice? I'd like to reduce the parachute effect as much as I can, but also have a body that will take the abuse of a novice driver.

I'd appreciate any recommendations, thanks!
i was not aware of any Proline bodies that fit this truck. just the TLR hiflow, the JConcepts hiflow and the JConcepts Chevy hiflow were bodies i knew for sure that fit.
but I checked ProLines website, and you're right, its saying that the tundra, silverado 1500, and militia bodies fit this truck. interesting.

the proline bodies are thicker them the JC, and my year old Flo Tek body for my XXX-SCT has no a single crack (after some hard crashes too) and my tlr hiflow is held together with aluminum tape and shoegoo.
for stock racing, you really need the light weight body. for modified, you'd be fine with the proline, but the JC and tlr bodies are lighter. the proline bodies will do you best if you are a novice or for bashing.
AndrewTom is offline  
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM
  #6705  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by WIGMAN View Post
I must say Frank these 22 diffs are difficult.......I have been racing for 20 years, I could build a xxx series diff in my sleep and make them last for a very long time, these 22 diffs have be baffled to the point I am thinking of throwing the gear diff in and being done with it, I have watched the tlr video dozens of times, I have even(i hate to say this) tried the associated diff screw thrust bearing and spring. That did make it a little better but man it gets frustrating when your diff goes out after only a couple race days. I dont even run mean motors, 13.5 blinky in 22b, 22t and 22sct, the 22b diff is holding fairly well but the other two .......sheesh.
The problems I had with the stock diff parts were:

1. The rings weren't sanded. At least, it didn't look like it. If they were, they weren't always perfectly smooth.

2. The thrust bearing washers wore out really fast and often disintegrated after a month.

3. The stock diff balls were not the best either and could be flat spotted easily.

You can fix these things pretty easily:

1. Sand your rings with 180 grit paper and then finish with 400 grit paper in a figure 8 pattern. Make sure the entire ring is sanded before you stop. Putting the ring on a used female out drive makes this easier.

2. Use the Associated thrust washers and thrust balls.

3. Use the TLR tungsten carbide diff balls.

As an alternative to that, you can buy the b-fast 22 kit. The b-fast rings come pre-sanded, and their thrust washers and balls are of high quality.

I've built diffs with steps 1-3 and with the b-fast kit. Both will work well, and when done correctly, they should last you a long time.
Derek_Wood is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.