Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

So I have just finished building my kit, and have a question on the rear shocks. I have 27.5wt with the stock rear shock settings except one whole further in on the tower. I haven't had this on the track yet, but the rear end seems sluggish from looking at it on the bench. It takes at least a second, maybe two for the rear shocks to get the rear fully settled Is this normal on these? I've been told that nothing that was true on the xxx is the same here, but this just doesn't feel right. Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx View Post
Almost have my truck where I want it. Had a huge problem with the rear kicking out after about 8-9 packs and could not get it corrected. I went against what I know and made a lot of changes at once. In part because I was so frustrated. As I said in another post I was finishing 1st and 2nd up until I had the rear start kicking out. Anyways I moved the rear hubs all the way forward, I switched out to a gear diff, and turned my throttle expo up. All that was a night and day difference as I finished 1st, 2nd, then a bad tire change put me in 4th in the main. Not sure what else is left to adjust except tires but I'm almost there.
Something you may want to check as I experienced it recently is check your o-rings in your shocks. I was testing some o-rings and they were pure silicone and they swelled a ton and this caused the shock to bind and so the truck wouldnt squat and thus would diff out and want to over rotate harshly out of a corner. Put fresh o-rings in as these swelled so bad I couldnt just loosen the bottom caps some and bam, all good again. So, try loosening the bottom cap lighlty first and should be good.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bondo21d View Post
So I have just finished building my kit, and have a question on the rear shocks. I have 27.5wt with the stock rear shock settings except one whole further in on the tower. I haven't had this on the track yet, but the rear end seems sluggish from looking at it on the bench. It takes at least a second, maybe two for the rear shocks to get the rear fully settled Is this normal on these? I've been told that nothing that was true on the xxx is the same here, but this just doesn't feel right. Any thoughts?
when you moved the shocks in on the tower, it makes it a little softer, but it makes it more progressive.
Im not sure, but i think that when the tops are moved in, it makes the truck easier to rotate, but standing them up makes the rear end more planted. best to have Ryan or Casper confirm this.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Shock limiters: I race both SC10 and 22sct and notice that most AE setups call for greater amounts of shock limiters than Losi trucks. Some 22 setups state no limiters. Why is that? Messing with internal limiters can be a pain.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewTom View Post
when you moved the shocks in on the tower, it makes it a little softer, but it makes it more progressive.
Im not sure, but i think that when the tops are moved in, it makes the truck easier to rotate, but standing them up makes the rear end more planted. best to have Ryan or Casper confirm this.
That sounds about right.

Originally Posted by Roken View Post
Shock limiters: I race both SC10 and 22sct and notice that most AE setups call for greater amounts of shock limiters than Losi trucks. Some 22 setups state no limiters. Why is that? Messing with internal limiters can be a pain.
Shock limiting is a tuning feature like anything else we adjust on a car. We have found in testing lately we like the 22 series trucks to have a little more droop in them. Each chassis will react a little different to droop as well as conditions can determine how much droop you will want to run. As traction goes up you tend to take some droop away. Depends on your track conditions.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Shock limiting is a tuning feature like anything else we adjust on a car. We have found in testing lately we like the 22 series trucks to have a little more droop in them. Each chassis will react a little different to droop as well as conditions can determine how much droop you will want to run. As traction goes up you tend to take some droop away. Depends on your track conditions.
I don't play with droop much - it's one of those sciences I don't get.

But I was watching a 22SCT this weekend that seemed to have 0 droop. It remained very flat around the track, didnt hook up and didnt seem to transfer weight at all. Then, it took jumps terribly - launching straight up and flying tail down.

With the latest Casper setup, I've found my truck jumps great.

Casper - it seems like if you add limiters in high traction situations, you may also give up performance elsewhere - such as in jumping.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post

But I was watching a 22SCT this weekend that seemed to have 0 droop. It remained very flat around the track, didnt hook up and didnt seem to transfer weight at all. Then, it took jumps terribly - launching straight up and flying tail down.

Casper - it seems like if you add limiters in high traction situations, you may also give up performance elsewhere - such as in jumping.
Yeah you might some but too much droop can mean too much body roll and with high traction the car will not slide but just roll over.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I hope everyone who reads this thread agree's that I've been helpful. Now in return, I ask that you show some support for me. A simple rply or "I support Scott" or anything in this thread would be much appreciated. Thanks. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post11865887

JBRL is this Saturday and I cannot afford to be without my charger for a big race like that nor do I want to miss up to 4 weeks of bein out of RC.
Thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

oops double post for some reason lol

Last edited by ScottKelly911; 02-27-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post

Droop kinda has similar effects as swaybars when cornering and effects weight transfer under breaking/accelerating. It will allow the truck to roll to a certain point till it hits the uptravel limit of the inside shock and pulls the truck down in the corner. Under breaking, less droop in the rear will give you a more controlable rear end entering the corner. During acceleration, less droop in the front will increase onpower steering. Less down travel is only good on smoother tracks with smaller jumps. More down travel is better for bumpy tracks with big air jumps. I've been messing with the droop in my truck for alittle bit but whent back to the kit suggested limiters as it felt the best.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

I thought droop was something you suffered after a big night on the piss until I started reading these threads. It still has be baffled with our track. I'll keep reading and one day the penny might drop.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rusty Old Fart View Post
I thought droop was something you suffered after a big night on the piss until I started reading these threads. It still has be baffled with our track. I'll keep reading and one day the penny might drop.
Is your track bumpy or smooth? Does it have very large jumps or rather small ones? Like I said, I'm running the limiters as per the manual and I couldnt be more pleased. It gives me just enough roll and unmatched traction all around. I stay just about full lit in all ares of our track with very little push or drift. Our track is flowing with only 3 tight turns. In those turns I'm stabbing the brake at the apex and the truck rotates on a dime! Our jumps aren't huge either, relativly close to the ground. Droop {Limiter} adujstments cane be very useful, but too much can have adverse effects.
The amount of negative suspension travel (downtravel) a car has can have a huge effect on its handling; it influences both the mount of roll and the amount of pitch the chassis will experience.
So, if one end of the car has less downtravel than the other, that end will be forced down more in a turn, which makes for more grip at that end, especially in the middle part of the turn, where weight transfer is more pronounced. Very little downtravel at the front will give a lot of steering, especially when entering a corner at high speed, or very violently. Very little downtravel at the rear will give a lot, and consistent traction throughout the turn.
But that isn't all there is to it: the amount of suspension travel also influences the car's longitudinal balance, i.e. when braking and accelerating. An end with a lot of downtravel will be able to rise a lot, so chassis pitch will be more pronounced, which in turn will provide more weight transfer. For example: if the front end has a lot of downtravel, it will rise a lot during hard acceleration, transferring a lot of weight onto the rear axle. So the car will have very little on-power steering, but a lot of rear traction. A lot of downtravel at both ends, combined with soft springs, can lead to excessive weight transfer: on-power understeer, and off-power oversteer. The cure is simple: either reduce downtravel, or use stiffer springs.
There are also some disadvantages of having very little suspension travel: the bump handling and the car's jumping ability may suffer, it will bottom out very easily.
Limiting suspension droop has another interesting effect: you can use it to reduce traction rolling. (When the car flips over because it has too much traction.) A car with less droop will have a lower CG as it turns, which is exactly what you need in an eternal struggle against traction rolls. Often it's a better solution than using stiffer springs and harder tires, it's even beter than reducing ride height or adding anti-roll bars.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Good stuff. Very clear explanations of the effects of droop.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to explain the effects of droop!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Slayer's 22sct truck is the one to beat @ our local track IRH. He is very fast!! Nice write up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.