Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adonis_mp View Post
I'm using the Dunford/Casper set as a base line but I'm looking for a set up better suited for my local track which is a large 1/8 scale. Big jumps, med bite, bumpy and fun. The fast guys are running it at about 32 sec.
Is the truck not doing something you would like? I can't read much into your statment other then you want a whole new setup? 32 second laps sounds like a pretty big track is all I was able read into that.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
You have to just run a looser slipper. The slipper must always give before the diff or the diff will be toast in no time. I have to ask. You are using clear grease on the main balls and black grease on the thrust. Also on the main balls you don't need a LOT of clear grease. Just a bead on each ball is sufficient.
Black grease on the thrust and just a small film of clear on the main balls. Black grease behind diff rings. I will try tuning the slipper a little better for a better balance.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by acuratech View Post
Scott
where did you get the blue hardware, also have you had any issue with the link hardware snapping since it's aluminum ?
Hey Acuratech, all the blue anadized hardware on my car is made by Ofna. I got most of it from amain hobbies and Nitrohouse. My Blue turnbuckles are trxxas captured ends. Let me know if u have any other questions. Hope that helps
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

What set up should i look at for med size track with alot of loomy dirt .. low-med bite and will be very bumpy/ruted up .. thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slodustin View Post
Black grease on the thrust and just a small film of clear on the main balls. Black grease behind diff rings. I will try tuning the slipper a little better for a better balance.
I'm not going to say not to do it because I've never tried it, but I've never heard of black grease being used behind the diff rings. I've always seen instructions to build with silicon behind the diff rings. You may want to rebuild your diff.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

edit:gradturk, you beat me to it...8)

Why black grease behind the rings? If it was to work its way onto the main diff balls the diff would not feel good at all! I would suggest clear behind the rings as maybe it is the black grease that is helping the diff rings slip against the outdrives.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Is the truck not doing something you would like? I can't read much into your statment other then you want a whole new setup? 32 second laps sounds like a pretty big track is all I was able read into that.
I haven't used your complete setup yet, still waiting on some parts, but I believe your setup was for a regular indoor manicured track. I was looking for possible changes that someone has made to accommodate the larger size of the jumps and track.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by will g View Post
What set up should i look at for med size track with alot of loomy dirt .. low-med bite and will be very bumpy/ruted up .. thanks in advance
I would start with Frank Roots Short Course Showdown from Mikes hobby shop, 2012. The track was low to medium bite, blown out and inconsistant. It is a very forgiving set up that hooks up great on low bite conditions.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Black grease is a bad idea behind the main ring. Silicone is the only thing to use for the main gears as there has to be a level of friction required for those to drive. If you have a grease that reduces friction too much the drive rings will slip and you can't get the diff to set. ONLY clear grease around the main balls and rings. The thrust bearing you can use black grease or other similar hi pressure grease.

I haven't used your complete setup yet, still waiting on some parts, but I believe your setup was for a regular indoor manicured track. I was looking for possible changes that someone has made to accommodate the larger size of the jumps and track.
Ryan and I find setups we develop at OCRC to translate well to other track conditions with the use of appropriate tires. Not saying it is going to be perfect for you and your track but give it a full try. The Root Mikes hobby setups is popular with guys that are running low traction as well so that might work well for you as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

[QUOTE=Ryan and I find setups we develop at OCRC to translate well to other track conditions with the use of appropriate tires. Not saying it is going to be perfect for you and your track but give it a full try. The Root Mikes hobby setups is popular with guys that are running low traction as well so that might work well for you as well.[/QUOTE]

Once again you guys have been a lot of help. I'm given your set up a try, thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Once again you guys have been a lot of help. I'm given your set up a try, thanks.
If you give me details of handling issues for your track and can help you tweak the setup for you as well so let me know.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Casper I been having good luck with the Casper/Dunford setup in 17.5 blinky with a shorty (4 foams behind it) 2.5 rear toe block, no added brass weights. I just need to fix one thing the inside rear tire wants to spin to much on corner exit, I tightened the diff to the point where I'm nervous about snapping the diff bolt. Any ideas on how to keep that inside rear tire from unloading? (I think unloading is the correct term for this???)
Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Hey Casper,
Do you guys set toe? If so, how?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Gas Rat Racin View Post
Casper I been having good luck with the Casper/Dunford setup in 17.5 blinky with a shorty (4 foams behind it) 2.5 rear toe block, no added brass weights. I just need to fix one thing the inside rear tire wants to spin to much on corner exit, I tightened the diff to the point where I'm nervous about snapping the diff bolt. Any ideas on how to keep that inside rear tire from unloading? (I think unloading is the correct term for this???)
Thanks
Humm. I would do two things. I would move the battery back two pads just to see how more weight back effects this. Then I would pop off the swaybar to see if that helps as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by gawith0413 View Post
Hey Casper,
Do you guys set toe? If so, how?
Set it buy eye. Start with the links the same length and always make equal adjustments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.