Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok so i am going out and buying this truck tomorrow. Switching from my AE so hopefully it is worth it!! Couple thing first though. 1- Any tips i should know when i go to put the kit together? 2- I have a new orion 7.5t i am putting in it and plan to run it with a tekin rs esc. If that going to provide enough power? I know i have heard people having trouble with that. And 3- Anything i should plan to buy with the kit to make this thing handle like a beauty?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Butch Mann View Post
Which flavor are you using for med/high bite damp indoor clay?
A lot of us are using the new white with great success. Scott is right though green is good for wet clay and is more mild for less effect. Red is great for dry track where you need more grip but for the conditions you are describing I think the new white will be the ticket.

Originally Posted by bbischer1 View Post
Ok so i am going out and buying this truck tomorrow. Switching from my AE so hopefully it is worth it!! Couple thing first though. 1- Any tips i should know when i go to put the kit together? 2- I have a new orion 7.5t i am putting in it and plan to run it with a tekin rs esc. If that going to provide enough power? I know i have heard people having trouble with that. And 3- Anything i should plan to buy with the kit to make this thing handle like a beauty?
I would look at picking up swaybars and possibly some AE 12mm 2 hole pistons. (assuming you don't want to make your own!)
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

7.5 should be good,
you will want to get the TLR support kit for the 22sct. comes with a lot of useful parts, springs, arms, idler gears etc.
I hear 2 hole pistons are a must, i have them on order, haven't gotten them yet. the sway bar kits are a must, unless you are running low bite or loose. You may want aluminum hexes, I have some DE racing rims, and everytime i pull the wheel off (and I am not paying attention) the hexe pulls off inside the wheel. but you can massage the wheel off without taking the hex with it. and when the hex comes off, the little drive pin falls out.
the spindles break, most often in cold weather. the TLR TiNi front king pin is a good option, which supposedly helps keep the front spindles from breaking. first guy at my local track with the 22sct broke a spindle on the first run.
the exotek or RCRD 1mm shims are good to have to raise the transmission.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks Casper! Ordered 2 bottles of white.

Has anyone tried to mount an scb body to the 22 sct yet?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the advise. I planned on getting the sway bars for it and also the ae 12mm. Now as far as the tlr support kit what would that exactly help with?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

ok i see what the support kit is now. Thats a really cool idea. One other question is how are the ballcups that come with the kit. I had to put rpm ball cups on my AE sct and they worked really well. It that a needed thing?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ok i see what the support kit is now. Thats a really cool idea. One other question is how are the ballcups that come with the kit. I had to put rpm ball cups on my AE sct and they worked really well. It that a needed thing?
if you get the updated ballcups, you shouldn't need to change ballcups. but there are some that have had issues with the steering links, but the traxxas TRA3643 are captured links and are direct fit for steering links. there is a post on the tlr blogspot on how to mod the non-updated ballcups should you get those. I got mine at christmas time, and my kit came with updated ball cups, but my support kit however did not. if you call Horizon Hobby Support, they should be able to send you the updated ball cups at no charge.

Last edited by AndrewTom; 02-05-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AndrewTom View Post
if you get the updated ballcups, you shouldn't need to change ballcups. but there are some that have had issues with the steering links, but the traxxas TRA3643 are captured links and are direct fit for steering links. there is a post on the tlr blogspot on how to mod the non-updated ballcups should you get those. I got mine at christmas time, and my kit came with updated ball cups, but my support kit however did not. if you call Horizon Hobby Support, they should be able to send you the updated ball cups at no charge.
ok thanks for the info. I am getting mine from my LHS and i know it is going to be a new kit. they just sold out of them this weekend so it will be a fresh one
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just switched over from 4 years with an SC10. So glad I did...wayyyy better built truck. Much more driver friendly and the people on this forum are TOP NOTCH with advise and tips. You'll love it !!!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jokermayhem View Post
I just switched over from 4 years with an SC10. So glad I did...wayyyy better built truck. Much more driver friendly and the people on this forum are TOP NOTCH with advise and tips. You'll love it !!!
I am hoping so. This truck just seems to offer everything. I hope it helps me take that next step
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It did for me... definitely do the Traxxas captured steering links and get but don't use sway bars unless the track is high bite. I would also recommend the Losi aluminum 4mm trailing spindles over stock...been seeing stock plastic ones breaking a lot. The build is awesome and truck is extremely easy to work on. This truck definitely fits my driving style wayyy better than the SC10. Nice to drive a truck that has rear traction right out of the box...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For sure get the diff AE diff screw and nut. Broke mine on the second race night. Snapped like a twig. Everything else you getting like swaybars and support kit are good idea.

Also, any upgrades parts you think you'll want? Think about getting them now for the build. look at the setup sheets and find what they call for if you're going that route. Wish I had installed the tranny shims, al servo mounts, rear camber, and front pivot mod during the build. WAY EASIER. Everything else is pretty much bolt on when you're ready.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Casper, Update!

I have my 22sct on the track setup like your "Ryan Dunford/Casper" spec's truck is day and night difference! well mannered, Jumps & landings are really improved more solid not so spongy since I switched to the 2 hole pistons

One issue i'm having is some times in a hard corner when I let off the throttle the back end is letting go and just spinning out i'm sure its me (still learning) is there some thing I can try that might help to keep it planted?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jokermayhem View Post
+1
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcNuttz View Post
Casper, Update!

I have my 22sct on the track setup like your "Ryan Dunford/Casper" spec's truck is day and night difference! well mannered, Jumps & landings are really improved more solid not so spongy since I switched to the 2 hole pistons

One issue i'm having is some times in a hard corner when I let off the throttle the back end is letting go and just spinning out i'm sure its me (still learning) is there some thing I can try that might help to keep it planted?
Is it just one corner? Drag brake setting may be too high. You may have the brakes too high?

Are you running blue or green front springs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.