Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motobigalow View Post
can you explain jacking to me a little more(smart a$$ comments expected) but I'm serious
Jacking actually alludes to the effect of using a jack (yes from rear cars). If you jack up the left front, the right rear gets pushed down. Right front, left rear etc. If you just turn the wheels on your car on the bench, you can notice the outside rear get pushed down a little from the mechanical caster in the car.

This happens because most R/C cars have trail, and thus, the wheel is behind the kingpin. With caster, the kingpin is leaned back so the trail actually puts the wheel/tire down a little from the pivot point(kingpin). Because of this, when the steering is turned, the tires actually move up and down a bit. The inside tire is pushed down, and the suspension is pushed up which consequently pushes down the outside rear a bit. The outside front tire moves up, suspension down, inside rear up some. Just imagine what it does out on the track at speed.

More caster=more jacking because this is tilting the kingpin back more, which increases the amount of vertical movement through the steering throw. This effectively the car putting weight on the outside rear tire when the front wheels are turned against the caster. If you have now overloaded the rear tire, it may slide, causing the car to be loose. More weight on the inside tire (less caster/jacking), is a more natural way of creating steering from the front tires, rather than a rear slide. But as with all things, there is a balance.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Frank doesn't like me.oops wait he responded he does like me yeah!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by tipperjackson View Post
Does Losi have a through bolt for the front yet? or have they talked about making them?
It is difficult to make in a way that would accomodate inline--> +4mm spindle without interferring with the 22 front wheel at full lock, so not at this time.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
It is difficult to make in a way that would accomodate inline--> +4mm spindle without interferring with the 22 front wheel at full lock, so not at this time.
Thanks Frank, good to know your here to help out. More practice time tomorow with the new truck, can't wait for more tune time!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

okay I think I got that, so my truck as it sits is wanting to slide out mid corner, with less caster this may help that but increase my turning radius?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by motobigalow View Post
okay I think I got that, so my truck as it sits is wanting to slide out mid corner, with less caster this may help that but increase my turning radius?
In theory, but there's only one way to find out for sure
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

can start the build the kit with out a streeing srevo?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Caster question

I hope I'm not screwing my truck up with 25deg. front pivot and 10deg. caster blocks. I have the 5deg. ones but after reading all these pages it looks like alot of people like the kit set up with 30/10. I run 25/5 in my 22 buggy so I thought I would try somewhere in the middle. Any comments would be helpfull.

I know everyone loves loves loves their truck but I have to say this truck is going to be one P.I.T.A. to clean, especially the rear end. I race outdoors and we get down and dirty. I think I may mount my electronics with high grip velcro to remove them for cleaning. There are just so many parts compaired to my old xxx-sct. Also be very carefull not to strip out all the screws that thread into plastic. There is alot of that kind of assembly here. Alot of guys say "I'm not an engineer but..." but I am an engineer and screwing into plastic is usually not a strong type of joint. I don't mean to be critical but I remember when everyone loved the scrt10 until they wrecked it. Putting longer screws with metal nuts usually fixed some of the scrt10's problems. I won't be doing that in a truck that costs this much. I'll be the first to tell you I'm a wrencher not a driver and even after alum. front and rear camber blocks and TI ball studs I'm going to break stuff. Time will tell. Short Course is a bashing type of racing(at least at my track). I've already bought alot of spare parts to keep me moving. My peg board in my shop looks like a small TLR hobby shop. Any coments on durabilaty always helps us engineers improve our product. You can test and test but somtimes feedback is the best source of info when it comes to improving the design. Hope TLR is listening!

Besides all that I do love this thing and all the pieces are made really well. To bad its not made in the USA. I just can't help feeling like I'm always kicking some US factory worker out on the streets when I buy something made in China. In my field I hear fellow engineers falling to the waysides day after day.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
In theory, but there's only one way to find out for sure
Frank, When will you be in Northern Michigan? You can just stop buy and set my truck up for me, my brain hurts when I think too much about what each one of these set up changes effects.......LOL!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Allright y'all, help me out. I'm about to build my kit and I am working to select the "completion package". First, a couple comments,
1. Frank - keep up the good work - you're doing a fantastic job.
2. Recognize where I come from, look under my name, Tech Novice.
3. Thanks for the pinion gear supplied answer, it makes perfect sense but I needed to know.
4. I want to buy tires. I AM NOT ASKING FOR A TIRE RECOMMENDATION (unless you have one) But when I look at tire sizes I find for example Pro-Line Hole Shot 2.0 M4 SC 2.2"/3.0" Truck Tires. IS THAT THE RIGHT SIZE? If it matters for your answer, the track is outdoors, mid traction when watered, otherwise loose.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vito View Post
can start the build the kit with out a streeing srevo?
Start on the rear end. But you really can't do the front without.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tipperjackson View Post
Thanks Frank, good to know your here to help out. More practice time tomorow with the new truck, can't wait for more tune time!
tipp, where you pacticing tommorow CD hobbies ? i wouldent mind making a few laps. and try a couple of things...besides i need to snoop on all your top secrete stuff...LOL...
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default Share the love

Hey moto if you keep buying losi, losi will still love you.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eagle1114 View Post
Allright y'all, help me out. I'm about to build my kit and I am working to select the "completion package". First, a couple comments,
1. Frank - keep up the good work - you're doing a fantastic job.
2. Recognize where I come from, look under my name, Tech Novice.
3. Thanks for the pinion gear supplied answer, it makes perfect sense but I needed to know.
4. I want to buy tires. I AM NOT ASKING FOR A TIRE RECOMMENDATION (unless you have one) But when I look at tire sizes I find for example Pro-Line Hole Shot 2.0 M4 SC 2.2"/3.0" Truck Tires. IS THAT THE RIGHT SIZE? If it matters for your answer, the track is outdoors, mid traction when watered, otherwise loose.
2.2/3.0 is he correct Short Coarse size, M4 is the rubber compount Super Soft and the 2.0 is a version 2 tire that is wider than version 1. From there tread pattern depending on track conditions.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GNS Racing 86 View Post
tipp, where you pacticing tommorow CD hobbies ? i wouldent mind making a few laps. and try a couple of things...besides i need to snoop on all your top secrete stuff...LOL...
Plannig on going over for some practice tomorrow. Doct. appt in the A.M., I'm gonna skip out on the last part of the day, so I should be at CD's at 5pm with the 22sct and the 22 for a long night of test and tune. See Ya There?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.