Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 AM
  #2326  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
godofcable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spring Hill Fl
Posts: 2,022
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by negatv1 View Post
Yes, in the case that a servo is 'wrecked' then you'll DNF. But I guess the logic is that *if* I'm going to DNF - something better be well broken.
here's the thing though, throw a servo saver on there, and even if it skips you'll still be able to finish the race. A LOT of tracks wont let marshals fix trucks on the track, so if you pop a ball cup you either need a pit guy or run down and fix it yourself
godofcable is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM
  #2327  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (124)
 
vr6cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 4,050
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Miller2 View Post
Nice lid did you have to do any mods to get it to fit. I bought the proline tundra for time being. Just wondering if I would waste money on this awesome body not fitting on my sc10
Nope, just drilled holes for the mounts.
vr6cj is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM
  #2328  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 56
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Most of us are tightening the servo saver on the SCTE to the point of being useless and as much and as hard as I crash that thing my 1258TG hasn't had any problems.

You have to remember that we run a body over the front wheels, so the servo might be getting saved from the type of hits a buggy or stadium truck is prone to.
tonyxcom is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 AM
  #2329  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (45)
 
goehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,756
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by negatv1 View Post
Yes, in the case that a servo is 'wrecked' then you'll DNF. But I guess the logic is that *if* I'm going to DNF - something better be well broken.
I think the logic is that during club races or qualifiers, you're ok with maybe losing a servo in the oft chance you hit that hard, if in the big race/important main you don't get a DNF due to a popped ballcup.
goehm is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 AM
  #2330  
Tech Master
iTrader: (31)
 
trickedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas/Pahrump,NV
Posts: 1,273
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

man you guys all must be pro sponsored guys or have way too much money...If I kept busting $60 servos everynight my rc account would dwindle fast...
trickedout is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 AM
  #2331  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Grandturk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lonslo View Post
I'm confused on the logic of wanting a wrecked servo instead of a dnf. If u wreck a servo u will get a dnf right???
Originally Posted by negatv1 View Post
Yes, in the case that a servo is 'wrecked' then you'll DNF. But I guess the logic is that *if* I'm going to DNF - something better be well broken.
My logic is that if you pop a ball cup - and lets be honest - if you pop a ball cup the entire link is going flying off and your heat is over. In my experience with today's titanium gear servos, I've yet to strip off any teeth or render them inoperable - knock wood. So I'd rather take the chance that the servo takes a beating vs losing a heat because of a bad design choice.

Besides, even if you did manage to strip a gear in the servo, you'll probably still be able to get the truck around the track.
Grandturk is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 AM
  #2332  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Grandturk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
Most of us are tightening the servo saver on the SCTE to the point of being useless and as much and as hard as I crash that thing my 1258TG hasn't had any problems.

You have to remember that we run a body over the front wheels, so the servo might be getting saved from the type of hits a buggy or stadium truck is prone to.
Yup servo savers are soon to be a thing of the past. I lock down and glue/thread lock servo savers so they are effectively fixed. Beat the heck out of my SCTE and not had any trouble with the 1258tg in there.
Grandturk is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
  #2333  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
B00t13g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
From my experience it's the same..you strip the gears in your servo you aren't going anywhere..at least with a ball cup it can be popped back on..
In a race a popped ball cup usually puts you off pace so you're out of the race either way. If I Dnf I better have a broken chassis.
B00t13g is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 AM
  #2334  
TLRacing
iTrader: (25)
 
Frank Root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,781
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
With no servo saver you'd be looking at stripping servo gears in a good crash. I suppose that's ok for a sponsored pro driver that gets servos for free, but I don't mind a DNF if the alternative is a busted servo.
Hey Guys,

We intentionally designed the 22 Platform without a servo saver, as we feel they are no longer necessary. The AE camp has been gluing their servo saver into 1 piece for years, and for just about as long, we have been locking down the XXX Servo saver. I have personally raced without a servo saver in a 1/10 vehicle for about 5 years, multiple classes, 3-4 days a week on average, and have NEVER failed 1 servo. Some might say, well you don't crash much, but trust me, I do crash, and because of how committed (hard) I drive, when I crash it is often catastrophically hard.

Frank
Frank Root is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
  #2335  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Grandturk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Well said, Frank!

But you should have used captured ends!
Grandturk is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
  #2336  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
B00t13g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post
Yup servo savers are soon to be a thing of the past. I lock down and glue/thread lock servo savers so they are effectively fixed. Beat the heck out of my SCTE and not had any trouble with the 1258tg in there.
Yup my xb9 has its servo saver tightened all the way and locktited in place. I've yet to kill a steering servo.
B00t13g is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM
  #2337  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (141)
 
RC*PHREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,135
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by godofcable View Post
here's the thing though, throw a servo saver on there, and even if it skips you'll still be able to finish the race. A LOT of tracks wont let marshals fix trucks on the track, so if you pop a ball cup you either need a pit guy or run down and fix it yourself
this is a workable solution.

Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
Most of us are tightening the servo saver on the SCTE to the point of being useless and as much and as hard as I crash that thing my 1258TG hasn't had any problems.

You have to remember that we run a body over the front wheels, so the servo might be getting saved from the type of hits a buggy or stadium truck is prone to.
i cranked my servo saver down all the way in my SCTE and it cost me a savox 1258. yes, i could get around the track, but i had about 30% throw turning right. when i replaced the servo, i backed the saver off a couple threads which is still very tight.

Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post
My logic is that if you pop a ball cup - and lets be honest - if you pop a ball cup the entire link is going flying off and your heat is over. In my experience with today's titanium gear servos, I've yet to strip off any teeth or render them inoperable - knock wood. So I'd rather take the chance that the servo takes a beating vs losing a heat because of a bad design choice.

Besides, even if you did manage to strip a gear in the servo, you'll probably still be able to get the truck around the track.
as i stated above, i did wreck a servo cranking the saver down. yeah, sure i may be the 1 of 100000 that had that issue, but i'd rather have the servo back and had a DNF for that race (which i might as well have had as the truck was garbage on a track with a majority of right turns). again, that's not for everyone, but for me, i'm not running in big events, just club stuff. for me, they're not worth losing a $60+ servo.

Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Hey Guys,

We intentionally designed the 22 Platform without a servo saver, as we feel they are no longer necessary. The AE camp has been gluing their servo saver into 1 piece for years, and for just about as long, we have been locking down the XXX Servo saver. I have personally raced without a servo saver in a 1/10 vehicle for about 5 years, multiple classes, 3-4 days a week on average, and have NEVER failed 1 servo. Some might say, well you don't crash much, but trust me, I do crash, and because of how committed (hard) I drive, when I crash it is often catastrophically hard.

Frank
and all of those 1/10 vehicles have ball cups right? i'm not making a case against no servo saver with ball cups. i'm making a case against no saver and captured ends.
RC*PHREAK is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 AM
  #2338  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 473
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Frank, Ryan or Casper, I had a inner thrust washer come apart on my 22SCT. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or maybe I did something wrong. Do either of you have any idea what could cause this to happen?
Brian
losi b is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 AM
  #2339  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,553
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by losi b View Post
Frank, Ryan or Casper, I had a inner thrust washer come apart on my 22SCT. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or maybe I did something wrong. Do either of you have any idea what could cause this to happen?
Brian
Sometimes in the process of heat treating them, they get too brittle. If you had this happen, you can contact customer service and they will send them out to you for sure.
hacker07 is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM
  #2340  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (45)
 
goehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,756
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Ok - so I have a question, and this comes after carefully following the ballcup issue. I see the trimming of the cups as well as trimming of the steering rack as the suggested solution.

So the issue seems to be a more extreme angle than what the ballcup was designed for.

My question is: do both ends of the turnbuckle/both ballcups suffer the issue, or just the steering rack end?

Then onto the servo saver/captured end topic, would a solution be to run a captured end only on the steering rack side, and retain the ballcup on the arm? That way the arm-side cup would popoff for severe impacts.

I'm assuming the captured ends work because they have a wider range of (up/down) movement.. not necessarily because they're captured. Otherwise, you'd just fatigue the plastic until it failed.

Maybe I'm reading too much into all of this!
goehm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.