Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

seeing them pop off when landing with the wheels turned towards the turn after a jump...(landing, setting up for the turn)
Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by easye View Post
Whats with the buggy springs over the truck?
Buggy springs are a bit shorter. In general spring rates aren't liner; as they compress a bit more they get more stiff. So if all springs have a progressive nature, then if you use a shorter spring in the same application it gives you a more progressive option.

Not really sure how to describe the application, but think of a Cadillac. It's nice to float over small bumps, but as you compress the outside suspension going around a corner at speed, at some point you want it to firm up and not roll over. Progressive springs give you that feel.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post
Yeah building mine now. Trimmed the steering balls cups and they just pop right off while adjusting them. Nice.

Going to dig through my box tonigt for some captures links. Has anyone tried the link ends from the SCTE?
Is that a 22 specific problem? All my vehicles have always done that if I don't use diff lube or grease on the threads. I have some old AE stealth diff lube that I've been using for years that fixes that issue. Suggest trying to put something to reduce friction in the threads, at least as an interim measure until your captured ends come in.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GNS Racing 86 View Post
seeing them pop off when landing with the wheels turned towards the turn after a jump...(landing, setting up for the turn)
I'm still building my 22, so I don't know if this applies - but one thing I learned from Durango is aligning your ballcups to the studs on each end of the turnbuckle.

The guide shows initial reaming (body reamer), alignment, and grease trick.

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/201...e-build-guide/
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm View Post
Is that a 22 specific problem? All my vehicles have always done that if I don't use diff lube or grease on the threads. I have some old AE stealth diff lube that I've been using for years that fixes that issue. Suggest trying to put something to reduce friction in the threads, at least as an interim measure until your captured ends come in.
You're right - it is not a 22 Platform specific issue. I should have mentioned that I always build my turnbuckles/ball cups with Chapstick on the threads for lube. I should have mentioned that the un-modified camber link ball cups are not popping off when I adjust them. And I should have mentioned I never had a ball cup pop off my 22T when adjusting them - even after I first built them.

This is a 22SCT specific problem with the modified ball cup on the steering link.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Grandturk View Post
You're right - it is not a 22 Platform specific issue. I should have mentioned that I always build my turnbuckles/ball cups with Chapstick on the threads for lube. I should have mentioned that the un-modified camber link ball cups are not popping off when I adjust them. And I should have mentioned I never had a ball cup pop off my 22T when adjusting them - even after I first built them.

This is a 22SCT specific problem with the modified ball cup on the steering link.
I didn't have a issue running my truck all weekend without trimming them....... Everyone else at the track that had 1 either broke or they were poping ball cups!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dougo96 View Post
I did have a issue running my truck all weekend without trimming them....... Everyone else at the track that had 1 either broke or they were poping ball cups!
BROKE....?

What in the hell kind of track are you people racing on??? Do ya'll use bricks for corner markers?? Jesus...

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to ask for pics or ban, here...

I'm just having a difficult time believing that. lol
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1 View Post
BROKE....?

What in the hell kind of track are you people racing on??? Do ya'll use bricks for corner markers?? Jesus...

Oh I can back up Dougie's statement. There were plenty of trucks getting dragged off the track this weekend - not just 22SCT's. I had a couple of DNF's with my SCTE - electrical - and my XXX SCT lost a wheel, spindle, C hub in the A main.

I don't know how mine will fare on the track until I run it. All I said was it popped on the bench while being adjusted. It has not popped off while cycling the suspension by hand on the bench.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I'll be running in a 17.5 boosted class, what would be a good starting pinion/spur. Tight in door meduim bite track.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by weavty1 View Post
BROKE....?

Watch a Video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ7He...hannel&list=UL
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
how soon until a fix is in for the ball cups? these stockers are seriously lacking. i can't even adjust camber without having them pop off. yes, i did the trimming method.
When I build my ball cups I squueze in some blake grease in each of the cups before I start. Ive never had an issue with them coming off as I adjust them after I started doing that

As for trimming them -

If you cycle the suspension and see if they hit you will know if you have trimmed them enough. Simply compress the suspension and see if it binds... if ity does trim some more off
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Set up

Originally Posted by Casper View Post
What kind of help are you looking for? Yes the kit setup is for outdoor med to lower traction. Dunford and Whisler were running basically kit setups.

What is it that you need help with and we will do our best to help out.
What I was looking for is just a basic set up for a loose surface to start with. That's why I was asking what Ryan and Keith were using at the sc nats. Our home track is the same pretty much. I did all the mods with the tranny / ball cups R
Tried diff tire combos, had 3 sets of shocks built with different configurations. Tried 5.5 8.5 and 13.5 could not get any to hook up . What it boils down to is I should have just raced my xxxsct instead of bringing a new truck to a bigger race and try to dial it in
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmc23 View Post
What I was looking for is just a basic set up for a loose surface to start with. That's why I was asking what Ryan and Keith were using at the sc nats. Our home track is the same pretty much. I did all the mods with the tranny / ball cups R
Tried diff tire combos, had 3 sets of shocks built with different configurations. Tried 5.5 8.5 and 13.5 could not get any to hook up . What it boils down to is I should have just raced my xxxsct instead of bringing a new truck to a bigger race and try to dial it in
Yes it can be very frustrating trying to dial in a new car for a big race. I will admit I am in the same boat. Surf City Classic coming up this weekend and I have the trusty XXX-SCT and the shinny new 22-SCT. I have had some help in getting the 22-SCT dialed in and am confident it will be as good or better for the race and with a little time it will be better then the XXX. Just have to get the track time with it.

If you identify some specific problems (loose out of the corner, pushes high speed, loose in the sweeper etc) and what you are currently running setup and tire wise. I would be happy to try and help you out in dialing in your truck. There are a few of us that will help out. As others have said the truck just got into a lot of our hands a little over a week ago and we are learning more each day. I am sorry you had a frustrating experience but give the truck a shot and have some fun with it.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

will rpm ball cups work for the fixs?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vito View Post
will rpm ball cups work for the fixs?
No. To the best of my knowledge RPM does not make a metric ball cup but I could be wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.