Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help With Novak Please >

Help With Novak Please

Help With Novak Please

Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help With Novak Please

So I went to drive my sc10 4x4 after resoldering the motor wires to switch the red and black wires when I went outside to drive it, the motor made a terrible noise and the pinion was live spinning by bouncing back and forth...what is this? It worked fine just a hour before..I switched the motor wires around cause it had WAYmore powerin reverse but when I switched it in REV on my radio, it didn't have that same power. The motor is a Novak HV 4.5 & esc is the Castle Mamba Max Pro running on 3s 20c 4000 lipo
Old 06-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

The answer is that you can't switch the motor wires around on a sensored motor. It was wrong to do that and you can damage both the ESC and motor if you apply throttle for more than an instant.

If it was faster in reverse than forward it is probable that you have your radio set wrong (throttle channel "Reverse" setting) relative to what the ESC is looking for.

This happened to a guy recently at my track. He was really down on power. We checked the lights on the Mamba Max Pro and found that when he was giving it forward throttle, the red led on the ESC was lit, meaning his radio setting was reversed after he matched the ESC to the radio.

When we fixed it, his truck was fast. He was effectively telling the ESC to run in reverse when he gave it forward throttle and the ESC usually gives less power in reverse than forward.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by SoCaL081 View Post
So I went to drive my sc10 4x4 after resoldering the motor wires to switch the red and black wires when I went outside to drive it, the motor made a terrible noise and the pinion was live spinning by bouncing back and forth...what is this? It worked fine just a hour before..I switched the motor wires around cause it had WAYmore powerin reverse but when I switched it in REV on my radio, it didn't have that same power. The motor is a Novak HV 4.5 & esc is the Castle Mamba Max Pro running on 3s 20c 4000 lipo
suggest taking the motor apart and inspect the rotor , sounds like you have a bad rotor and the magnet is spinning on the motor shaft .
Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can't i fix this with my castle link? I don't wanna really solder if them if i don't have to
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCaL081 View Post
Can't i fix this with my castle link? I don't wanna really solder if them if i don't have to
You can unplug the sensor cable and run it sensorless and then make changes as needed with Castle Link. But if you are running it sensored, the "A" wire on the ESC must be connected to the "A" pole on the motor, and so on. That is why they are labeled: because it is necessary to get it right when running in sensored mode.