Community
Wiki Posts
Search

various motor and gearng questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)
Default various motor and gearng questions.

hey bys im new to this side of the thread only been in the buying and selling section but im looking for reccomendations on a motor setup for a sc 10 i just traded for. it came with the castle sidewinder sv2 esc and the 5700 kv 4 pole motor. wondering if theres a better motor i can go with. esc should be fine as its gonna be my 2wd track truck. would a 3800 kv be more suitable for it? also wondering if i can ask questions about my slash 4x4 and slash 2wd trucks here? running a mmp race sct system in my slash 4x4 with the castle 3800 kv motor. would i be better off switch the motors and running the 5700 kv motor in my slash 4x4. or should i just trade my 5700 kv motor for a 3800. im also running the vxl system in my slash simply because its my everywhere truck. simply sits in the back of my truck in a pop crate with two batteries so whereever i go and i find i decent spot i can rip up or for winter time driving ect. ive got a spare 5900 kv hoobyking motor from the sc10 trade so im wondering if i could run that with the vxl 3s esc without blowing it. thanks any help would be appreciated. also wondering what gearing i should use as i will be using 2s an 3s lipo. thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

I'm not a fan of the Sidewinder V2 as it has some major heat issues. However, some have had success with it. I believe the 4 pole motors have the biggest issues with it, but 2 pole seems to be ok. That's just my memory which is suspect on a good day, so take it for what it cost ya'.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A 5700kv in a SC10 is probably going to be too much motor. I had one in my Blitz when I still raced/owned it and it was WAY too much motor. I went down to a 3900kv and actually did much better. The 5700kv is a crazy fast motor, and the 4 pole is only going to make it MORE crazy. I just had the 2 pole version. I would definitely look to trade it for something more appropriate like the 3800kv you speak of. Definitely a better motor for 2wd SC.

As for the SV2 having more issues with 4 pole motors vs. 2 pole. That makes no sense at all. 4 pole motors are actually more efficient. More efficiency = less heat.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Majority of 2wd short course racing is 2s so recommend sticking with that. As for motor, that one should work on an outdoor track but will probably be too much indoors. That would fall under the mod or open class. There are stock classes where a 17.5 motor is required. It might help for you to turn down your radio in the beginning for your current motor.