Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho worth the investment? >

Kyosho worth the investment?

Kyosho worth the investment?

Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Kyosho worth the investment?

This is not a Brand A vs Brand B argument. I'm getting back into RC soon and have a question about Kyosho. It's a known fact that Kyosho kits can be more expensive then some of their competitors. My question is: are they worth it?

The logical argument that comes to mind is that they may have invested more time/money into parts that you would end up upgrading down the road so they may have included these upgrades by default? Is this sound judgement? Or do they have a corner on the high performance market due to so much race success, IE Worlds, Nationals, etc.

Thanks folks, I'm just doing some fact finding.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

You get wha you paid for.

Having owned losi and Kyosho I will say Kyosho has the best quality and parts.

With Kyosho you can feel every thread biting into the carbon composite parts and they do not back out unlike other brands.

Losi metals are made out of noodles IMO. Like all my 2wd Kyosho cars a lot that I'm gonna sell all my losi cars.

Btw what car are you looking at?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Kyosho is top shelf.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

2WD Buggy, SCT, and Eventually a 1/8th electric.

I've used a Losi 1/8th buggy in the past, it was ok but it was also used when I got it. I've been looking at Team Durango lately too since they are increasing their following and production. I guess you can say it's the difference between new blood and seasoned vets.

My local track is mostly Losi based with some Kyosho parts. Parts availability doesn't really concern me due to the web. I'll support my local track with tire purchases
Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dammit138 View Post
This is not a Brand A vs Brand B argument. I'm getting back into RC soon and have a question about Kyosho. It's a known fact that Kyosho kits can be more expensive then some of their competitors. My question is: are they worth it?

The logical argument that comes to mind is that they may have invested more time/money into parts that you would end up upgrading down the road so they may have included these upgrades by default? Is this sound judgement? Or do they have a corner on the high performance market due to so much race success, IE Worlds, Nationals, etc.

Thanks folks, I'm just doing some fact finding.

Japanese kits typically have a really nice fit and finish. The high end Tamiyas are just incredible to build, everything fits like a glove and the Kyoshos are usually the same. Part of the additional cost is the horrible exchange rate we have right now. Kyosho is very proud of their products and you're going to pay for that too. I've had a bunch of different cars over the years but I typically shy away from Kyosho just because of the cost. For me, the answer has been no, they arent worth it. If you have the money and are willing to spend it, you wont be disappointed in the vehicle though. Keep in mind that it isnt just the kits that are expensive, parts and accessories are as well. A set of Kyosho springs is usually double the cost of every other manufacturer.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Japanese kits typically have a really nice fit and finish. The high end Tamiyas are just incredible to build, everything fits like a glove and the Kyoshos are usually the same. Part of the additional cost is the horrible exchange rate we have right now. Kyosho is very proud of their products and you're going to pay for that too. I've had a bunch of different cars over the years but I typically shy away from Kyosho just because of the cost. For me, the answer has been no, they arent worth it. If you have the money and are willing to spend it, you wont be disappointed in the vehicle though. Keep in mind that it isnt just the kits that are expensive, parts and accessories are as well. A set of Kyosho springs is usually double the cost of every other manufacturer.

They may be too much to the average joe, but by the time you get done upgrading the other brand you will be in it just as much. As far as prices for work gs yes they are expensive, but if you shop arond other than amain you can find then much cheaper. Also avid and losi 22 springs fit the kyoshos as well. all my arms in my losi scte broke by the shock mount and they sagged over time, dog bones shattered, and my 2 new 8e buggy front drivelines with about 1 pack or less shered off the dog pins in half, there it goes another 25 bucks for crap chinesae metal. My Kyosho have not failed other than what I have broken due to my mistakes due to clipping a wall while looki behind me.

The only weak point in the Kyosho 10th are the axles. Either torch them or get the fast lanes
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dammit138 View Post
2WD Buggy, SCT, and Eventually a 1/8th electric.

I've used a Losi 1/8th buggy in the past, it was ok but it was also used when I got it. I've been looking at Team Durango lately too since they are increasing their following and production. I guess you can say it's the difference between new blood and seasoned vets.

My local track is mostly Losi based with some Kyosho parts. Parts availability doesn't really concern me due to the web. I'll support my local track with tire purchases

The scb is a fun class as hell. I bought a used scr sp kit here and convert it to a db. With a 17.5 motor Im not far behind my scr sp with a 8.5 as far as lap times.

From what I have seen with the people running kyoshos here is just stock up on front axles, c hubs, rear hubs and servo savers.

By the way if you get the big bores, welcome to the butter smooth leak free shocks I have ever seen!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I run an RB5 WC, AND an associated B4.1 WE. The AE car costs me more to run and keep competitive over a season timeline, then the RB5.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm definitely the average Joe but I dont have an RC budget either. I've added a bunch of stuff to the B4.1 which has pretty much doubled the cost of the buggy but it wasnt necessity. I didnt add much at all to the 22 and it handled very well for me. In the end, my lap times arent changing with the different cars so the additional $100 hasnt been worth it. None of these cars have an advantage over the other, it comes down to personal preference and nothing else.

In the last year and half I've run the TRF 201, the TLR 22, and now the B4.1 Worlds. Of the 3, the TRF 201 was the highest quality followed by the 22. The B4.1 is pretty sloppy compared to the other 2 out of the box and required quite a bit of shimming to tighten up. I'll try the DEX201 in a couple months and possibly the RB5 after that.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

It's not so much that you will be faster with the expensive kits or how much money you dump in it. Shoot I borrowed my friends 190 dollar ready to run brushed Kyosho db and ran great! The way I see it the extra money paid for will kick in the long run. The rod ends won't wear out as fast, the ball ends are much better metal, the arms don't twist, durability is what I was after. The losi scb is what 200? Then you need the tlr kit, another what 130? Yea not many shops carry them, but everything can be had with a click away.

Anything can be made to go fast and be just as reliable, just boils down to how much money and time you want to spend in it.

Want the rb5wc just can't get around the looks of it and how tiny they are.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Prophet

I dont think there worth it not the price they charge for Kyosho when theres other brands that have good quality.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Very worth the investment...
Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

X-ray, kyosho, associated in that order. I run an xb9, t3 12, had an ultima s-r and own a b4.1 wc and am happy with all of them. The 22 is a great buggy as well and is very durable.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez View Post
The scb is a fun class as hell. I bought a used scr sp kit here and convert it to a db. With a 17.5 motor Im not far behind my scr sp with a 8.5 as far as lap times.

From what I have seen with the people running kyoshos here is just stock up on front axles, c hubs, rear hubs and servo savers.

By the way if you get the big bores, welcome to the butter smooth leak free shocks I have ever seen!
Strc and atterbery will make your scr bullet proof.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

They are worth it. I have never broken a single part on my sc r. And only have broken 2 on my rb5, those were not my fault though. I owned the sc10 and the xxx sct, comparing the quality, the kyosho is the best handling and smoothest out of the 3. The diff in my sc-r has listed me 7 months still running smoooooth. Slop is really out of the question, but new parts never hurt. In short, kyosho is great, smooth, durable, parts support is no big deal, you can order online if you want loads of spares at once.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service